• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Need help installing an amp and subwoofer system

Started by pejohnson, December 14, 2013, 10:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pejohnson

I have a '13 SHO and want to improve the bass in my system.  Is there a way to tie into the existing Sony system to add an amp and subwoofer?  I am an amateur at best so please keep that in mind when providing feedback.  I would be curious what wires do I tie into and any wiring diagrams you might have to help in the installation.  Thanks in advance.
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

Fast SHO

2014 SHO PP

mval

pep-you might pm kolk1 that's what he does & hooked me up with an alpine 500 watt amp & 2 10" sub. the nice thing about the SHO is that ledge in the trunk is perfect to put a system. only problem people in back seat get their teeth rattled some, but makes a big difference in sound. i think he had somewhere on the old forum a step by step.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

pejohnson

Thanks Fast SHO for the reference.  I was more interested in specifically what connections to tie into for the SHO.  I found this thread from the old forum http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=118874.  Is this the thread you were referring to? 

Would someone be able to walk me through how to install the Line Output Converter to the rear speaker outputs on the Sony amplifier? Is it as simple as a RCA connection or do you need to splice into some of the wires?
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

Kolk1

Quote from: mval on December 15, 2013, 11:03:12 AM
you might pm kolk1 that's what he does
It is what I do for a living, and when people tend to ask for step by step instructions, I will normally reply, Pay the $100 for a MECP Certified installer to do the install for you. If it was a $2,000 civic, sure. But a 25-45k car, hire somebody before you manage to fry an ECU or BCM.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Kolk1 on December 16, 2013, 10:43:29 PM
Quote from: mval on December 15, 2013, 11:03:12 AM
you might pm kolk1 that's what he does
It is what I do for a living, and when people tend to ask for step by step instructions, I will normally reply, Pay the $100 for a MECP Certified installer to do the install for you. If it was a $2,000 civic, sure. But a 25-45k car, hire somebody before you manage to fry an ECU or BCM.

Thanks Kolk... Great info... along the lines of what I was thinking... I wanna do a sub, but don't want a new head unit.  Thanks!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Kolk1

Ive posted up full wiring diagrams for our cars.

The front doors are the only Full signal speakers in the car, so I actually suggest even if only adding subs, to hook up the LOC to the front doors, as in my opinion the factory subs are crossed over too low.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Kolk1 on December 16, 2013, 11:11:46 PM
Ive posted up full wiring diagrams for our cars.

The front doors are the only Full signal speakers in the car, so I actually suggest even if only adding subs, to hook up the LOC to the front doors, as in my opinion the factory subs are crossed over too low.

Thanks again.. good to know.  BTW Do you know where you posted the wiring diagrams?... got a link?  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

BiGMaC

:thankyou:

Ya' it's those 6x9 "subwoofers" in the rear dec.... weak  Do you know the frequency and rolloff of the pass to them. 
When I was actively installing I liked about 50-60HZ 12Db/octave pass to get the bump of bass drums into the sub.

Kolk1

I want to say it was around 60hz, but I listen to a lot of classic rock, and that tends to be higher around 80.

QwikSHO

The only problem I had is looking for a place to route the power wire from the battery.

Someone suggested routing it underneath the car if I don't want to drill a hole in the firewall, which was a great idea.   I'm waiting for either the weather to start getting nicer or someone finding a magic grommet to route through.

mval

from a guy who sells wire for a living, if you decide to go underneath the car make sure the electrical wire is outdoor rated, otherwise the cold & moisture will eventually mess up the wire. the wire i saw kolk1 use on mine appeared to be indoor rated thhn which was fine since he went inside.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

Fast SHO

Started a different thread.
2014 SHO PP

Fast SHO

See above.
2014 SHO PP