• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory ?? anyone ??

Started by 68_GT, December 07, 2013, 01:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

I saw this posted with some bits and pieces of information from DJE624.

I did a google search and only came up with a procedure on some BMW and Merchades forms and some other cars, but nothing Ford, nothing ecoboost, and nothing about doing this on a SHO...

Over time the ECU in the trans learns your driving style and that is what it keeps in memory. The throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts and personalizes to your particular driving style. However, there is a way to set the ECU back to factory default. I have done this with my 07 328 and it works fine. I've done this with several Mercedes. The only difference with a push button to start/stop engine system is that you must use the start button instead of turning the key to it's first position and again to simulate the off position.
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCEDURE
Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button – foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

68_GT

I'd love to reset and erase my wife's "bad" driving habits from my SHO lol. She drives it almost daily at 5:00am on her way to her cross fit workout classes.

Also I saw somewhere where someone was data logging and noted his WOT was only 88% which made me think our cars could be adapting to our regular driving / commuting habits and throttles it back some, but then I assumed my LMS tune would prevent that anyway except the super hard shifts that quickly softened up after loading my stage 3 tune. I accelerate quickly often through 1-2 gears in the torquey mid range power but rarely WOT through more than one gear, occasionally 2. I wonder if my car or any of our vehicles are unwantingly throttling back. I want it to run 110% of it's full capability at the occasional times I use it not a more diluted version of my performance tune.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

DJE624

It would be great to know how to reset any driver memories.  Like throttle and transmission or anything else.  Here is what I know about the throttle reset.  I think I picked it up last summer from the old forum.  Not really sure if it works. 

What I can remember is that you turn the ignition on but don't start the engine.  Then you slowly push the pedal all the way down and let up fast.  You do this a couple of times and it is supposed to clear the memory of the throttle. 

If any body is familiar with this or any driver memory resets please let us know.  Thanks!

68_GT

BiGMaC

:smiley-faces-75: Great video!

..But what's that guy doing looking in my trunk?. :shades:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

TouchOfEvil

2014 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

jmr061

You can disable adaptive learning and reset it via dealer software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason
16 Edge Sport

FracaSHO

There is something in the owners manual that covers this subject. There is a procedure for when the battery dies or is changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

BiGMaC

Below is everything the 2013 SHO Owner's Manual, 3rd printing says on it. 

There must be an easier way than disconnecting your battery and having every electronic control forget your settings and return to default... this could be a lot of resetting for many.

Transmission   p. 203
Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of the vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation. Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the strategy must be relearned.

Battery relearn

Maintenance
   p. 307
Because your vehicle's engine is electronically controlled by a computer, some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and performance. To begin this process:
1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift lever in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
• The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
• Note: If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned.
When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its optimum shift feel.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Very good Tom.  Makes sense.  There have been a number of reports that sometimes the shifting is a little too firm right after loading a tune.  Then it mellows out some.  When it adapts! 

mjhpadi

Someone posted about resetting the throttle, and it's really easy...but I'll be dipped if I remember how to do it...I think it was mval that did if first.  I've done it twice and both times the throttle seemed just a bit more responsive after the reset...hopefully someone remembers how to do it....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350