• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Would someone like to do an experiment??

Started by Ricanracer140, November 30, 2013, 08:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricanracer140

I had a run in with a large animal on Thanksgiving night. Yesterday the guys at the shop removed the broken under panel that encloses the area underneath the ac condenser, radiator and inter cooler. I did notice on the way home, which is an hour drive that the faster I went the more my temp needle would drop..... I happened to just get lucky enough that a new edge mustang guy was beating up on a Toyota corolla (the abuse was relentless) so I followed chase. Once we we in the clear he floored it and he couldn't shake me. I was on his bumper like stink on s***!! When we slowed and got side by side, I was in M mode in 3rd, we tried it again and I just started pulling him. He pulled in behind me to I guess get in my draft, but once I threw 5th it was bye bye birdie. Now the strangest thing, the car was pulling like never before... I mean the top end pull was nasty. I've never gone into triple digits so fast. Pulled to 140 and just kept going... After all said and done I looked at the temp gauge and it was reading around 1/4 up from cold. As I drove at 70 a few seconds the temp started coming back to its normal resting spot a tad below half way.  Someone out there want to take off their lower front cover and test this? I would bet anything my car is stronger, it's gotta be the intercooler getting that much more air. To whoever tries this, you have to tie strap the lower fender apron to the frame to keep them from hitting the tire and ruining them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josephm

Very interesting. What mods? Think about putting a signature in so people don't have yo ask.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Ricanracer140

Car mods are Airaid intake, stg 4 LMS tune and 170* thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shonuff1140

68_GT

I'll give it a shot I'll have to look at this again first to see what exactly is being removed though. Any downside to whatever you removed other that some zip ties needed ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

DJE624

I wouldn't take mine off.  All those pieces on the front end are all tied together to support themselves.  I had my front clip off twice.  It's fastened underneath, on top and on the sides to the inner fender walls.  I'm glad at 140 the whole front end didn't fly off.

Bigfoot

realistically it was probably just the cool night air.  i know my stock SHO feel noticeable faster when the sun goes down and then temps get into the 30s. 

2011 SHO
2013 5.0

bpd1151

The other (negative) experience previously reported by others (including my own) where owners have removed these under belly covers (both the larger, and the smaller one as discussed in this thread) have been noticeable, vertical flopping of the engine hood at speeds in excess of 120mph.

Creep closer to 140+ (like I have) that hood shaking becomes much more pronounced.

I believe part of the design (of the under belly pans) was to actually help air flow and overall aerodynamics versus removing them altogether.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

68_GT

after looking at it again I think I would be afraid to open that up to taking a rock to the intercooler, or a/c condenser and getting a leak. I had a rock take out the a/c condenser on my previous G35.

bdp1151 is your enire front lower grill section open in the front ? I might would try that I wonder if that lower grill section just pops out ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

68_GT

that also makes me wonder if our cars would benefit from a larger intercooler then ?

BiGMaC

Quote from: 68_GT on December 01, 2013, 10:42:35 PM
that also makes me wonder if our cars would benefit from a larger intercooler then ?

4DR did one.. not sure what thread, sorry.... it has all the picks and performance stats

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 01, 2013, 10:53:50 PM

4DR did one.. not sure what thread, sorry.... it has all the picks and performance stats

so there was some performance gains ? Funny I also thought I saw somewhere that our intercoolers are plenty big or almost oversized for the ecoboost engines already.

BiGMaC

Maybe 4DR will chime in... he is much better equipped to answer your question.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

QuickSilver

I've had over 30 turbocharged cars and EVERY one that I upgraded the IC on made noticeably more power. A few years back, I had a DOHC 2.2 Dodge Rampage that was running almost perfectly and consistantly for months. The day before heading to a race in Vegas, the IC size was doubled, it ran so much stronger I couldn't belive it :thumbsup: Turns out that it moved so much more air, it leaned out the AFR's and holed a piston in Vegas :(

The first thing I noticed peeking thru the grill when I got my Sport is how SMALL the stock IC is AND that it's not a very efficient design.  It has relativley few long tubes that run the length of the core, this style leads to high backpressure and higher temps than an IC that has multiple shorter tubes. I have one left over from a previous build that I think will fit after modifying the outlet to 3" and moving it to the other end of the endtank. I'm gonna build the downpipes first, have my exhaust guy build an entirely new system(I'm still collecting parts, I have almost everything but the first muffler I ordred isn't gonna work) Install the LMS tune and then install this IC. I'll have some feedback after that. Here's the IC.
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

DJE624

Hey AJ, you got that $200 you owe me?  JK  Really, it's great to have another pioneer here in the world of Ecoboosts!  Good luck with you endeavors!