• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Coolant Temps?

Started by JMR76, November 28, 2013, 10:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMR76

What are your normal engine coolant temps with a 170 degree thermostat and tune to change the fan setting?

I'm trying to figure where I have a problem.  Lately, it appears my fans are always running, and now they're getting a little noisy when they shut down.  They come on at around 175 degrees, but my temps are always 182-184.  Sometimes they go down to 178, but it likes to stay in the higher range.  I'm wondering if I'm having a thermostat problem.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

EcoBrick Bob

Mine are around 184-185 when it's warm out...  I was one of the first to install a 170 DEG "Torrie" T-stat.. back in 2010.  Similar #s with a 160 DEG in my 2 G8 GT's.  You may be able to lower temp if you have your fans turn on much earlier and run much longer, but a 10 deg drop really helps!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

JMR76

Thanks,

I was concerned that the fans are never turning off, wearing them out.  This is in very cold weather too. 

I can tell the thermostat is opening in the low 170 range by feeling the inlet and outlet hose temps change with my hand.  I was also concerned it wasn't opening enough to keep the temps in the 170's, so the fans always run.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

EcoBrick Bob

This may sound wierd.. but... I see cooler coolant temps when it's warm vs. when the temp drops below 50, and especially when it's freezing.  I think that's due to fan temp settings.

Don't think the canned basic Torrie tune I am running has modded fan temp changes.  My 3 bar custom tunes from Torrie had fan temp changes.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

FoMoCoSHO

I'm stock and I see 183-193.

JMR76

Thanks,

LMS adjusted my fans a bit higher.  Now my fans actually turn off.  Temps are a bit cooler actually, letting the thermostat to open and do its job.  I usually run around 184, no higher than 189 and only briefly where it goes down in the mid 170's.  My car just seemed to like the run fans before the thermostat was opening up.  Now it's not so bad, except if I idle or cruise then it will remain around 184-185.  Funny thing is all I have to do is give it some gas and it seems to cool right down.

BiGMaC

Quote from: JMR76 on December 03, 2013, 08:17:47 PM
Thanks,

LMS adjusted my fans a bit higher.  Now my fans actually turn off.  Temps are a bit cooler actually, letting the thermostat to open and do its job.  I usually run around 184, no higher than 189 and only briefly where it goes down in the mid 170's.  My car just seemed to like the run fans before the thermostat was opening up.  Now it's not so bad, except if I idle or cruise then it will remain around 184-185.  Funny thing is all I have to do is give it some gas and it seems to cool right down.

Software/flash change to tune or a manual adjustment?  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

JMR76

They sent me another tune with adjusted fan settings.  I was using the 170 TS adjusted tune, but when the weather got cold, I had issues with the fans never turning off.  They offered to adjust them even more if this one didn't work. 

Yes, I had to re-flash

BiGMaC

Good to know... THX.  Good product support too.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

what brand t-stat are you guys running ?

I'd only use the Reishe Performance t-stats. They are more expensive but are also hand made. I bought one directly from him a few years ago for my 98 Mustang with a 03 Cobra motor and his t-stat is top notch. I saw a temp drop in all weather with no modifications to the fan settings in that car.

check out the info here which helps explain why his cost more.
http://reischeperformance.com/tstatinfo.html
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

JMR76

EcoBrick Bob

If I run really hard... my temps still stay around 187 but afterwards on cool down, they will drop into the high 170's.  This also happens on the hwy going up long hills (mountains) and then going down the other side.  Before the 170 deg T-stat,  my temps were between 8 & 10 deg higher.

Interestingly, on my G8's my 160 deg T-stats run very similar to the EB Flex.  And yes... fans have been turned on earlier... that just causes more variance in temps in my opinon.. but that's O.K.