• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Special Paint For THe SHO Engine Cover?

Started by BiGMaC, November 27, 2013, 12:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

In prep for a couple of mods coming soon,  I was looking around under the hood tonight and looking at the temps I could monitor on some of the vids in the turbo thread. I suddenly got the urge to have the engine cover painted tuxedo black, probably with contrasting letters where they spell out "SHO"... I think I'd remove the "ecoboost below that and replace it with one of the chrome "3.5L TWIN TURBO" badges.

Does anyone know if I need any special paint... or can I just use the regular paint and CC that's on the body?  Really wanted tuxedo black.   TIA for any input.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

J-Will

I would assume you'd need a high temp paint, something more along the lines of brake caliper paint
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

shoman04

yes it hot under there but you have to do is pre-prim the plastic and use a primer for plastic and paint with  Tuxedo Black. Idid my own wheels and grill have not had the time to do the cover.

2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

crash712us

No, I used regular DuPont automotive paint when i did mine. However when paint plastic to used a adhesion promoter.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

mjhpadi

I didn't paint the SHO engine cover, but I did with my F=150. I used Bulldog plastic primer which is supposed to help the paint adhere to the plastic.  It worked great and I would recommend using it before painting.  I found it at Pep Boys. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

mval

when i painted mine used couple coats plastic primer, then couple coats of heat rated paint like calipher paint has held up pretty good. here's pic of what i did. took lots of time but since i car show mine worth it as our engine compared to the v8 doesn't look good.
mikev
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

FracaSHO

Anyone plastidip their engine cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

BiGMaC

Thanks to all...  :thankyou:  Appreciate the input and the look at your super work!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock