• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

is Synch worth its weight?

Started by J-Will, November 25, 2013, 08:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Will

I think this is the best place for this as it mainly pertains to data logging and gauges-

Since there is an option for some flavor of Synch, which is essentially a computer; is there a way to customize that or get 'apps' that perform logging or graphically show various gauges such as boost on the touch screen?
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

crash712us

Wouldn't that be great! As far I know no one has hacked the sync system, nor do I believe it could display any engine parameters as it is a totally separate unit to the EMC.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

J-Will

Quote from: crash712us on November 25, 2013, 11:22:10 AM
Wouldn't that be great!

Yes!!  But there I go thinking all common sense like again
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

FoMoCoSHO

What would be great is a user configurable HUD.

Hey Ford, did you know you can get HUD in a 20K Mazda 3 now?

BiGMaC

The basis is already there in the collision avoidance system that flashes and turns my windshield red (projects on the windshield) when some fool cuts in front of me, etc..... Even if it just projected the info the user chooses to show in the left LED panel it would be great.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

J-Will

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 25, 2013, 09:29:17 PM
What would be great is a user configurable HUD.

Hey Ford, did you know you can get HUD in a 20K Mazda 3 now?

So does the new Chevy SS... which is pretty nice
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 26, 2013, 02:25:29 AM
The basis is already there in the collision avoidance system that flashes and turns my winshied red (projects on the windshield) when some fool cuts in front of me, etc..... Even if it just projected the info the user chooses to show in the left LED panel it would be great.

I prefer the large tach in the 10-12's to that stupid panel. The tach is useless and the panel configurations are too limited.

I'm also a little peeved that I can't access the intelligent AWD screen.

It's pretty sad that the ST has a better gauge cluster than us.

panther427

And better seats and a manual trans. And all of them come with the same esc....tc controls, and better brakes and handling
2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 26, 2013, 02:25:29 AM
The basis is already there in the collision avoidance system that flashes and turns my winshied red (projects on the windshield) when some fool cuts in front of me, etc..... Even if it just projected the info the user chooses to show in the left LED panel it would be great.
Quote from: panther427 on December 22, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
And better seats and a manual trans. And all of them come with the same esc....tc controls, and better brakes and handling
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 26, 2013, 08:31:59 PM
I prefer the large tach in the 10-12's to that stupid panel. The tach is useless and the panel configurations are too limited.

I'm also a little peeved that I can't access the intelligent AWD screen.

It's pretty sad that the ST has a better gauge cluster than us.

Well, it's obvious that Ford is building a smart car that can drive itself much better than we can and this is just a beta step.  Still a manual could have been offered.

Problem is we want to mod and drive 'cuz we enjoy it.... and even with the changes that could be made my SHO is FUN to drive...I look forward to my commute!.  Personally I don't want a handshaker anymore (I paddle sometimes), so I don't need a "real" tach (I can data log for tuning at more realtime anyway), but the gauges could have been done better.  That's why a 3 gauge A-pillar mod is on my list or a 2 gauge pod with switchable digital gauges.  Take a look at some of bpd's pics of the added gauges he has.... He can monitor almost anything he could affect while driving.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

BiGMaC

But back on topic...

Sync is the best infotainment system out there currently.  Previous versions were a bit unintuitive and the huge number of functions it didn't help.  In my '13 I just talk to it and it happens. Then again i'm a computer nerd  LOL!

geswek

It's come along way.

I was guinea pig for it when it first came out. I had the new Focus Hatchback, it was horrible then but the revisions now make it much better.

As for hacking, yes, pain in the ass. I was able to crack it enough that I could redesign the artwork (they are flash files) and make my own custom UI. The problem I had was I couldn't break it enough to force a maintenance mode to upload the revisions. Ford was pretty smart and encrypted it enough that I didn't have time to figure it out. I pretty much gave up on it a longtime ago and the only thing that came out of it was an awesomely designed interface.

If I had access to Fords tool that refreshes the entire module, I could probably do something. It's not hard, the damn thing runs on a Microsoft operating system.

Sent from my mobile, I think.

dalum

Sync w/ myfordtouch is pretty embarrassing considering all the technology that is in the world.  A $200 7" nexus tablet blows it out of the water in user experience.  There is no excuse for the shitty touch, low resolution, laggy, and slow os/hardware that we have.  There is hardly any user configuration of screens or preferences.  The system could be a home run but it just seems to be hamstrung.  The same thing seems to be happening with devices like blurray players and pvrs.  They get the shittiest cpu they can find that barely runs the software and call it a day.

I get the normal mode for my mother, but wheres the advanced mode?  The right lcd display? Oh lets just show everything available on the main screen, it's next to useless.  Let me hide "am", I  never want to see it.  Let me put usb as the first selection.  Don't get me started on car metrics.  It's on the buss and can display any data about the car you could ever want.  There is a "test mode" where holding down the left ok steering wheel button brings up car data but its s***.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: dalum on December 23, 2013, 05:02:15 PM
Sync w/ myfordtouch is pretty embarrassing considering all the technology that is in the world.  A $200 7" nexus tablet blows it out of the water in user experience.  There is no excuse for the shitty touch, low resolution, laggy, and slow os/hardware that we have.  There is hardly any user configuration of screens or preferences.  The system could be a home run but it just seems to be hamstrung.  The same thing seems to be happening with devices like blurray players and pvrs.  They get the shittiest cpu they can find that barely runs the software and call it a day.

I get the normal mode for my mother, but wheres the advanced mode?  The right lcd display? Oh lets just show everything available on the main screen, it's next to useless.  Let me hide "am", I  never want to see it.  Let me put usb as the first selection.  Don't get me started on car metrics.  It's on the buss and can display any data about the car you could ever want.  There is a "test mode" where holding down the left ok steering wheel button brings up car data but its s***.

No Arguments... but lets compare cars and cars.  It's much improved over my 2009, but not all I wish it was.  Maybe this computer hacking could be done like a tune to the ECM if we can figure a way to get the code!... screen replacement is no big deal... I love the 17" screen in a Tesla coupe... but it won't do what sync will.  Let's make hacking sync a project.

dalum

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 23, 2013, 08:18:39 PM

No Arguments... but lets compare cars and cars.  It's much improved over my 2009, but not all I wish it was.  Maybe this computer hacking could be done like a tune to the ECM if we can figure a way to get the code!... screen replacement is no big deal... I love the 17" screen in a Tesla coupe... but it won't do what sync will.  Let's make hacking sync a project.

Yes they have improved since the earlier versions, but i don't know how anyone with the earlier versions didn't take a sledge hammer to their dashboard.  I'm just saying the whole industry should be embarrassed for their offerings.

I read (hear i think) that someone had got the data off the system, changed some images to test, and couldn't get the system to auth the upload.  I read an interview that said when they install the software at the factory they use wifi that the hardware is already programed to only connect to.  After the config data is uploaded it's supposed to "never" accept it again.  That's why, say, a dealer can't add a backup camera to models shipped without them.  Even a lockpick says it can't enable backup cameras for cars built without one.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Ya'... we had the same issue trying to enable onboard nav in an F350... all the hardware is there in every build, but the factory flash wouldn't let the dealer enable it.... it recognized that an SD card was in the slot, but gave an error message. I've been hacking (Mac and PC) since the late '70's, but this system instruction string is different in how it's locked as you point out.

It could do so much more.. maybe it will in future if the consumer keeps letting Ford know specifically what they want from it we'll see some improvements in the GUI options and capabilities.