• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Stereo Upgrade: JL Audio or Alpine

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, November 25, 2013, 06:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Quote from: Kolk1 on November 26, 2013, 09:22:50 PM
This was my old 2 10inch box. I now have basically the same, but its moved all the way to the right, so I can still use the drives side pass through. Besides needing the pass through for my snowboard, I have never even filled up a 1/4 of the trunk, to where I needed that front ledge that the box sits on.

Yeah that's the good typical spot for a sedan.  However, you can make it even cooler by building a beauty board and organizing the shapes a bit.  Here's an example of the ones I've done, after building the basic box facing back (for ideas)  See the space utilized here, I have a slide-out amp and processor rack (that's a MS8 and Massive 950.5) on drawer slides, so they can be accessed for tuning and whatnot when the beauty panel is moved out of the way.  The bars are aluminum U extrusions available at Home Depot / Lowes, rabbeted into the beauty panel.  Same trick I used for my Flex build, due to the strength.

Covered originally in matching carpet, the owner wanted something with more flash so I re-covered the top panel with carbon-fiber vinyl in the same silver of the exterior paint.

Another option is to build UP with the subs, like this:

And hide the equipment entirely with a simple panel.  Doing this means you'll attract less attention when the trunk is up, and the subs are completely protected.  That top thing is actually removable shelf, which holds emergency supplies, blankets, extra shoes, whatever up there with a ledge to keep things from flying around.  Simple, but works.

Front had the amps, due to the fold down seats, why not, right?

Now I want to demonstrate another solution, one that might work even better in the trunk of the SHO (and other sedans).  This is a box I made for a Fusion, building out of only wood I made a shape that used most of the extra trunk room that's lost to most "boxes" of rectangular beginnings.  Interestingly, the nature of the angles I used meant the box was extremely easy to build, because the angles "figured themselves out" mathematically. 

So, even with an amp rack on the opposite side, there's still room to throw in TONS of stuff, lengthwise which may mean more to folks than width-wise in a sedan, because of those odd shapes at the corners in the back. 

And mind you, that last system was capable of supporting massive subs and massive amps, so even with that there is space to spare.

Final examples for the moment, is a shallow false floor design, one that embraces the spare tire as an important part

And, one that doesn't!

Basically, there's lots of ways to make it work.

You might need to first ask yourself, do you want to mess with fiberglass?  It isn't hard, it is messy, expensive, and time-consuming as hell, so consider that.  IF you aren't going to go FG, then you can pare down your options to more conventional boxes, but that doesn't mean bad things.  Far from it!

If you have specific direct measurements of the trunk space with pics, I can try to make a 3D model of a box similar to the ones you've seen... if you like my style.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

BiGMaC

Really cool designs!  Are they all free air mounts?  How did you calculate box volume in the more irregular shapes?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SRT82ECOBOOST

I think one of the best solutions for our vehicles if you have the PP or can live without your spare tire, is to build an irregular shaped box that will fit under the floor covering in the trunk. I think there is ample volume available in that area especially with the shallow mount subs that are available. The only question I have that if the floor covering can be left intact and still get good bass response in the car's cabin?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Lanson

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 26, 2013, 11:04:13 PM
Really cool designs!  Are they all free air mounts?  How did you calculate box volume in the more irregular shapes?

I use sealed enclosures 90% of the time.  I have built bandpass (4th order) and vented boxes, but acoustically the car is well-suited to a low-Q (oversized sealed box) enclosure, by design.  That's because the car interior cabin itself is like a box.  Literally, being in the car is like being IN an enclosure, like being in a 4th order bandpass.  You can prove this by rolling windows down and listening to the frequency response change.  This is why I like sealed boxes in a car.  Exception:  A car that's purpose is to remain open for far-field music playback, for someone who likes to pop their hatch and play music at a park all the time, as an example.  In those cases, a ported or bandpass box is superior.  In a car though, with all the doors closed and the windows closed or cracked open, a sealed box wins most of the time.

To answer your other question, measuring odd shapes is actually extremely easy.  As long as we're not talking about fiberglass shapes, everything breaks up into segments, and thus can be measured.  We have triangles basically.  Squares, rectangles, parallelograms, and other polygons can be broken up into triangles.  Cylinders and cones can be measured too, just using standard mathematics.  And going from 2D to 3D is as simple as multiplying by height.  l x w x h is a cube or box, and (lwh)/2 is the area of a triangle (or pyramid in volume terms)  So, it is simple. 
http://www.science.co.il/Formula.asp

Fiberglass shapes are best measured with packing peanuts.  Take a box of X size with an amount of loose peanuts, pour in shape, and measure box after shape is poured.  Subtract and you have total volume of the fiberglass shape!  There are many other ways, but basically you just need something that isn't too messy that can take any form, and measure a known good form against what it takes to fill the fiberglass shape.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Lanson

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 27, 2013, 07:05:43 AM
I think one of the best solutions for our vehicles if you have the PP or can live without your spare tire, is to build an irregular shaped box that will fit under the floor covering in the trunk. I think there is ample volume available in that area especially with the shallow mount subs that are available. The only question I have that if the floor covering can be left intact and still get good bass response in the car's cabin?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.  When you speak of floor covering, what do you mean?

Bass frequencies travel through most objects like a knife through butter.  All we're doing is pushing around air with pressure variances, and all but the most sealed-up trunks will be a great candidate.  Sometimes, it is good to add an opening to the parcel shelf in the back, though.

But maybe I don't understand the question.

edit:  Ah, I re-read your question, and now I understand.  What you are asking is, does the flimsy hardboard covering the spare tire has above it affect bass, if the sub is in the spare tire well.  NO, it doesn't affect it.  If the covering was an inch thick, and completely smothering the opening, it might affect it a bit.  But there's nothing to worry about with a piece of lightweight hardboard.

SRT82ECOBOOST

I was referring to the thin floor covering that spans the spare tire well. If it was thought to be beneficial at all, I could see using a router to cut some small slits/opening in it. I am going to have to take some basic measurements of the spare tire well to see what volume is available. Not sure if it will work for me, since I was counting on storing my amps in that location.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

SHOdded

As long as you have that hardboard properly secured and not bouncing like a trampoline :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 27, 2013, 12:07:27 PM
I was referring to the thin floor covering that spans the spare tire well. If it was thought to be beneficial at all, I could see using a router to cut some small slits/opening in it. I am going to have to take some basic measurements of the spare tire well to see what volume is available. Not sure if it will work for me, since I was counting on storing my amps in that location.

No need to cut into that material, however the typical approach to building a false floor is to actually use more robust materials, and then build a grille into the top cover, and then you have something you can actually put some weight on.

Personally, I think you guys would really like a side-facing sub box like I showed pictured. 

Lanson

Quote from: SHOdded on November 27, 2013, 12:09:34 PM
As long as you have that hardboard properly secured and not bouncing like a trampoline :D

EXACTLY, talk about harmonic distortion!

When building false floors, it is good to use STRONG materials.  I visualize people actually using their trunks.

SRT82ECOBOOST

I really like the idea of the side box as well. I just do not have the time or expertise to pull of something like that. Lanson, it is too bad we could not get a Taurus in your hands and have you model a side enclosure to sell to the masses.

SRT82ECOBOOST

So I am going to try and schedule my install later this week for the following:
-(2) Trunk Mounted amplifiers
      -(1) Amp for the front soundstage
      -(1) Amp for future subwoofer
-(1) 5 1/4" component set for the front doors and A-pillars
How many hours should I expect an installer to take to get this installed(system is currently stock Sony)?

Lanson

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 27, 2013, 01:16:12 PM
I really like the idea of the side box as well. I just do not have the time or expertise to pull of something like that. Lanson, it is too bad we could not get a Taurus in your hands and have you model a side enclosure to sell to the masses.

All I really need are precise measurements and pics to fully understand the space.  Best way I know how to do it is to use large art paper, create a grid across the paper almost like graph paper, and then insert that paper in the trunk.  From a known square point, then the grid is cut to match the trunk's shape, bit by bit, line by line.  Once done, you effectively have your template.  From there, I can then build a shape in 3D modeling (or just on paper, no problem), and figure out how many cuts it takes to get there.  From that, we can either just have a plan that could be used, or I could build and send boxes that work.  Boxes like this, with templates and proper plans, take NO time to make, BTW.  An air nailer, good wood glue, and 3/4" MDF (or Baltic Birch, a lighter and stronger material), and we're cooking. 

Compared with making one out of fiberglass, making an odd-shaped wood box like I've shown here is CAKE.  Doesn't quite use the space as well as a fiberglass box, but at least 1/2 the price, 1/4 the time, and it is much more consistent to make. 

I'm down to help, I've got a successful history of helping build boxes for others.  A plan though could help the woodworkers on this forum make their own, or those workers (like I can do) can make them for those that want it.

Lots of options, I'm sure we can find one that works.

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: Lanson on November 27, 2013, 02:01:01 PM

All I really need are precise measurements and pics to fully understand the space.  Best way I know how to do it is to use large art paper, create a grid across the paper almost like graph paper, and then insert that paper in the trunk.  From a known square point, then the grid is cut to match the trunk's shape, bit by bit, line by line.  Once done, you effectively have your template.  From there, I can then build a shape in 3D modeling (or just on paper, no problem), and figure out how many cuts it takes to get there.  From that, we can either just have a plan that could be used, or I could build and send boxes that work.  Boxes like this, with templates and proper plans, take NO time to make, BTW.  An air nailer, good wood glue, and 3/4" MDF (or Baltic Birch, a lighter and stronger material), and we're cooking. 

Compared with making one out of fiberglass, making an odd-shaped wood box like I've shown here is CAKE.  Doesn't quite use the space as well as a fiberglass box, but at least 1/2 the price, 1/4 the time, and it is much more consistent to make. 

I'm down to help, I've got a successful history of helping build boxes for others.  A plan though could help the woodworkers on this forum make their own, or those workers (like I can do) can make them for those that want it.

Or I/we could pay for you to rent a 2013 Taurus for half a day to get precise measurements.

Lanson

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 27, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Quote from: Lanson on November 27, 2013, 02:01:01 PM

Or I/we could pay for you to rent a 2013 Taurus for half a day to get precise measurements.

LOL I like your style.

Let me put it this way, if someone in Vegas has a Taurus, let me hear from them and I'll do what I can to help.  :)

BiGMaC

Hope you mean that offer.... I'll be over from AZ sometime after New Years....  :icon_mrgreen: Loved what I saw.   :thumb:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock