• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Front Switch back LED lights - Kolk1

Started by SHOdded, November 23, 2013, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Originally posted by Kolk1

DIY: Front Switch back LED lights.

03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
First, what does switch back mean, basically how it sounds. It will give you a White running lights, then Switch Back to Amber for Turn signals.

I only ordered front ones. Once you click on the front bulbs, you can choose what color, or switch back (half yellow half white)

I ordered from Diode Dynamics, my friend Paul owns the company.
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/i....html?year=101

This is a video of them, if anybody is still confused about what switch backs are.

Dodge Charger Switchback LED turn signals

Ok, I only ordered the stage 1, I did not feel the need to spend the extra $22 on the stage 2. That being said, and now that they are installed. I feel the brightness in person, is equal. I did find out during testing that our Blinkers even though they are the same bulb, are brighter during Turn, than they are for running lights. The LEDs are Equal to the OEM running lights, Maybe a "hair" dimmer than our OEM blinkers, but not much.

YES you will need the resistors, or you will have a fast blinker. I tried them without first, and then realized I needed them, and then decided that this should probably be made into a DIY thread. lol

Stock bulb compared to new LED bulb

Passenger side wiring, You will need to TAP into(not cut) the 2 outside wires,

The resistors come with Crimp taps, I hate those with a passion, so I soldered and taped mine.

You will need to remove your intake, to get to the wiring for the drivers side. I was barley able to change the bulb while leaving it in, but then realized I had to resistors, and no way you are getting to that wiring with the intake in place. After that, it was very easy.

Here is the driverside wiring, once again, you will use the 2 outside wires. Notice both passenger and driver have matching center wires, Thats the 12V switched wire for running lights, You dont need to touch that.

My quick video showing what they look like. The video kinda kills the brightness of the LEDs compared to the normal bulb, but this is also in a Very well lit garage.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Kolk1/54A74CAA-26A6-4EDD-9374-D438E11F7BD8-5686-000007397B742BBB.mp4

And heres another video with the engine on, and headlights on, so you can see them how they would look at night. As you can see by the stripes on my hood, all 5 rows of lights are on, in the garage. lol

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Kolk1/73CD1DAD-5CF0-45FB-B9BC-7EA875BD23F0-5686-00000739C2E7A2BF.mp4

03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I just zip tied the resistors to the side of the wire loom. If it was a constant use resistor, Id be more worried about heat, but since this is for a blinker, its probably only on for about 5-10 seconds at a time, maybe 30 seconds at a stop light, but then its probably off again for a good period of time. Unless you are a complete dick and never use blinkers, then you really dont have to worry. lol

Last edited by Kolk1; 04-06-2013, 11:30 PM.
Tags: None
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

:thankyou:

Thanks SHOdded for the post, Kolk1 for making... and to bpd for importing.

This likely my next mod along with sidemarkers.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Kolk1

n8rfastback

2010 SHO

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock