• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

$3500 for Meth???? WTF

Started by Darkside, November 20, 2013, 02:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkside

Is the Sho the new Vette?  I'm starting to wonder if we are falling victim to the vette tax on performance mods.  I recently emailed Livernois to get a quote on getting the meth kit installed.  While I would love to pick up a half second in the quarter, I don't think its worth 3500.  Anyone else find this extreme? 
2013 Sho- Livernois tune, cai, stat, H&R springs, Stainless Works downpipes/catback

2009 G8- 447rwhp/411rwtq, Hsv Gts conversion
2006 Jeep Srt8
2003 Mustang Saleen Vert

DJE624

Their installations are usually pretty high. 

steve142857

Yes, it's true their installation are very expensive. That said, since it was too far anyways for me to go there, I had the kit delivered home and hired a speed shop that are experienced with snow kits (water-meth) installs. It took them 20 hours!
We are victims of owning a SHO that nobody has experience with. So it is always new territory.
So 20 hours at 75$ per hour, it cost me 1500$ for install and 900$ for the kit, so a total of 2400$, still 1100$ cheaper than Livernois.
I would think that Livernois, that are now used to do the install on a SHO, could do it in less than 10 hours. That means that they are charging more than 250$ an hour... too expensive indeed.
But some are willing to pay that much to have peace of mind...
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

SRT82ECOBOOST

If it costs that much to install meth and is not DIY, looks like my money will go towards upgraded turbos instead.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

SHOdded

Don't know how different this would be for the '13+, but here is a writeup posted by BPD quite some time ago for reference:

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=524

I am sure if you were willing to put in some assistant-type labor with the trusted mechanic, you could shave some buckaroos off the final cost.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

THe meth is new hp territory, but I agree with SRT.... At those prices i'd upgrade turbos first. Get 50-53mm impellers. 

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Fast SHO

$3500 is outrageous.

I had Bob Kurgan install a meth kit and tune it for much less than that on my 03 Cobra.

The meth kit is a very basic install.  Time consuming for 1st timers, but very basic.  You install a pump and reservoir, run the lines, tap the intake, test the flow and any window/rpm switches and then work the tune.  If anything the custom tune should be what costs the most.
2014 SHO PP

EcoBrick Bob

Torrie's system can be installed in a couple hours.  I was the "test dummy" for doing it and even with all my trials, the first time I probably had less than 5 hrs.  Having removed and installed it a couple times now, I estimate I can do it in under 90 minutes.  With Alky Control system Livernois sells, they mount the pump low in the drivers side front that requires the front clip to be removed. The reason for mounting location is for pump to be lower than both the bottom of the tank and the spray nozzle.  This is done so that the pump is primed by gravity, and therefore eliminates the remote possibility that the pump won't immediately deliver methanol spray. 

Personally, it is my opinion that it is more likely for the boost controller to fail or glitch than it is that the pump won't remain primed, especially if one installs a check valve in the flow line, and always tests it before making WOT runs that are blocks long.

Only issue with an on-off max spray pump is that it causes a rich condition at RPM under 4K, which is very little of the time you have your foot to the floor, except if you are on a dyno, which will cause the HP and Torque Dyno' readings to be low.
'
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoBrick Bob

Not sure if 4DR found an interested party, but Julio at Alky Control is looking for a EB car to create a kit for 4DR to sell.  Cost is $700. if I remember correctly... FREE INSTALL!!! Check with 4DR Mike... Great deal if you want the same basic system that Livernois offers, only less money!!!!! Alky Control is located in Tampa, FL area.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

shoman04

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 20, 2013, 03:13:58 PM
If it costs that much to install meth and is not DIY, looks like my money will go towards upgraded turbos instead.
I install it about 25hrs by myself at my brothers in-laws shop. If you have a good gargage at home you can DIY. And I'm just a electrician not a auto mech.

2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on November 20, 2013, 05:56:02 PM
Not sure if 4DR found an interested party, but Julio at Alky Control is looking for a EB car to create a kit for 4DR to sell.  Cost is $700. if I remember correctly... FREE INSTALL!!! Check with 4DR Mike... Great deal if you want the same basic system that Livernois offers, only less money!!!!! Alky Control is located in Tampa, FL area.
Still need somebody to go to his shop so he can install the kit and start selling them directly to us :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

crash712us

Alkycontrols kit very well put together and very complete. However its is a timely to install, nothing difficult. Just some basic tools and drill. And could be installed in stages, things like drilling holes in meth tank and fittings and level sensor takes about hour. But what I am getting at there at least 3 how to's here, so time is saved in determining where to mount things.
LMS prices seem to have gotten out of hand I believe I was quoted about $2500 a couple years ago. I find it a bit disheartening that they quoted you so much, seeing how they have done numerous times and to someone that has done before could probably do in half the time. I know I could.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: crash712us on November 20, 2013, 10:35:15 PM
Alkycontrols kit very well put together and very complete. However its is a timely to install, nothing difficult. Just some basic tools and drill. And could be installed in stages, things like drilling holes in meth tank and fittings and level sensor takes about hour. But what I am getting at there at least 3 how to's here, so time is saved in determining where to mount things.
LMS prices seem to have gotten out of hand I believe I was quoted about $2500 a couple years ago. I find it a bit disheartening that they quoted you so much, seeing how they have done numerous times and to someone that has done before could probably do in half the time. I know I could.
Perhaps they work based on a set book time? I have no idea just tossing out the idea. A shop may charge 10 hours but if the guy does it in 5 you still get charged 10 hours.
2014 XSport

bpd1151

IIRC.....

Even with multiple interruptions, it took myself & my mechanic less than 10hrs for my meth install.

Hell, we even wired up my gauges during the meth install too.

So it's certainly doable for any of you DIY'ers out there.

I tried to cover as much of every aspect of the install, which is contained in my "How-To" thread on it.

Unlike other opinions, I AM a fan of the boost controller, and am not fearful of it crapping out.

For me, it's a much more preferred method of metering and controlling the methanol, than a simple on/off controller.

But I can't reiterate enough..... that it's SO important to NEVER[/b] run out of Methanol though..... especially when one's running a more aggressive tune file.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

shoman04

Quote from: bpd1151 on November 20, 2013, 10:39:32 PM
IIRC.....

Even with multiple interruptions, it took myself & my mechanic less than 10hrs for my meth install.

Hell, we even wired up my gauges during the meth install too.

So it's certainly doable for any of you DIY'ers out there.

I tried to cover as much of every aspect of the install, which is contained in my "How-To" thread on it.

Unlike other opinions, I AM a fan of the boost controller, and am not fearful of it crapping out.

For me, it's a much more preferred method of metering and controlling the methanol, than a simple on/off controller.

But I can't reiterate enough..... that it's SO important to NEVER[/b] run out of Methanol though..... especially when one's running a more aggressive tune file.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bpd is right! His HOW-TO help me the most even over the ALKY how-to. Plus PM HIM doing job. You could do this in your driveway but I did it in a garage because it is HOT HERE IN ATLANTA in Aug. I use my brothers-law shop, Fri and Sat night after they closed and all day Sun. In a weekend I had it in.

2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1: