• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Correcting Dealer Paint Damage

Started by BiGMaC, November 17, 2013, 03:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

I posted this link in another post.  Apologies for duplicates, but I put it in the wrong category.  The link below is a step-by-step with pics before and after of the correction and coating of paint on my 6 week old (new purchase) Tuxedo Black 2013 SHO.  The dealer did some paint repair at my request... but it's a car dealer, and the damage dealer's do on a new car is actually incredible.  There was water-spotting under the dealer applied paint sealer (sealing is common in AZ at dealerships due to sun).  I thought it was interesting and might have some useful points for members in this category.  The link is:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?60364-Phoenix-Detail-2013-SHO-Taurus-Water-spots-sanding-marks-CQuartz-Finest

I'd be interested in similar experiences and outcomes.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SoCalSHO

I wish I could find a detailer that good in California. That looks really good.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

mjhpadi

Actually it's fairly easy with the right products and a little practice.  I have found that using Adam's Polishes can correct most problems without a lot of work...well, actually it's a bit of work, but the secret is having a good machine to help.  A Porter-Cable DA will do a good job at a reasonable price, or a Flex will do a great job, but does cost more.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

TouchOfEvil

2014 XSport

Joewee3.5

How much does a service like this cost?  I just bought a black truck and am fearful of spider scratches.
2011 f150 platinum Ecoboost 4x4- LMS catless pipes, LMS/unleashed tunes, AFe stg1 intake, 4" corsa exhaust
1/4- 13.52@99
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Laramie Limited

BiGMaC

Don't cry, but you already have them.  What you saw was a new car... look at your paint from a low angle or with an LED flashlight. My guy at Windows and Wheels will do it for about $900 even if he travels to customer's home... 2 step polish (all scratches gone!) and then 2 layers of coating on all paint, wheels, and hard plastic.  This included polishing and coating the headlight and tail light plastic. I also had him use a product for the windows... better than rain-X and also lasts 2 years for another $45. People come from all over the country... their results are winning car shows. General consensus seems to be that Opticoat is a little harder, but CQuart looks wetter and deeper with more reflectivity.  The CQuart also does not attract dust... a real problem on a black ride.

When you wash one like mine with a foam cannon you blow-dry the vehicle with an electric leaf blower due to the extremely hydrophobic nature of these coatings...... Literally a "no touch wash and dry"  They taught me the technique.. my SHO takes about 40 minutes.

You can do the CQuart or Opticoat yourself , but the professional product is superior and consumers can't buy them, and you get a 2 year warranty if a CarPro certified detailer does it.  Polishing is not that difficult, but without the electronic equipment to measure thickness of paint and clear coat separately you could cause enough damage to result in early paint/clear coat failure.  Wills and Dana worked together for two and a half days just on my car.... Cheap in the long run!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

mjhpadi

Only thing I will add, is that it is pretty hard to damage the finish using a Dual Action Machine Polisher like the Porter Cable, and will yield superior results to hand polishing, even for a beginner.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

BiGMaC

What mjhpadi said!   :thumb:  If you decide to do it yourself, just don't dwell or use a real aggressive polish until you're comfortable with it.  :nono:

EcoPowerParts

I need to fix the my front air dam then have Wills cover and do my paint on the V. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

bpd1151

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 29, 2013, 11:28:00 PM
I need to fix the my front air dam then have Wills cover and do my paint on the V. :)

Look'n forward to some more pics there 4DR, as well as hearing more stories about your fun with the V.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: bpd1151 on November 29, 2013, 11:32:58 PM
Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 29, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

Look'n forward to some more pics there 4DR, as well as hearing more stories about your fun with the V.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Already had 2 motorcycles (Harleys) try and race me, they lost BADLY. A bunch of parts showed up today, we'll be tuning on E85 next week, should be 600HP off nitrous and 700ish with. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

BiGMaC

Awesome!  :thumb:  looking forward to seeing it... I talked with Wills and Dana about your new V when I was by Monday this week...

BTW, in the parts you got, did the wings and drag chute come in yet?  ;D

Joewee3.5

Yeah I see some minor scratches already but definitely not $900 worth just yet.  You'd car looks great though.  I will be needing some tips I can use for mine. 
2011 f150 platinum Ecoboost 4x4- LMS catless pipes, LMS/unleashed tunes, AFe stg1 intake, 4" corsa exhaust
1/4- 13.52@99
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Laramie Limited

BiGMaC

That's the thing with paint... and I guess all mods... If you don't perceive a problem no need to do it.  :thumb:

I'd recommend getting a good wax that lasts and will fill those small scratches.  The first key to shine and gloss is achieving a flat surface on the paint. The scratches scatter light and that's what causes the difference.  Adams products are great.  Just get the bird bombs off quickly as they eat wax and etch paint.  You could also try sealers or a hybrid wax/sealer like CG Hybrid V7. Remember that when you wash... it's the soap and water that should remove dirt, etc.... not elbow grease.  :nono:

I don't mean to sound like a salesman.  It's certainly not for everyone.  I spoke about the price/detailer because I have paid 150% of WaW's price to get the same result. My standard is that the paint surface should look like new auto glass.

If you ever decide to do it find a detailer that will treat your vehicle as if it were theirs.

Geez... This turned out like a rant... sorry.   :toilet_claw:  LOL

TouchOfEvil

BigMac is dead on, don't forget the more damage you allow to happen before taking action the more work will be needed and the more it will cost to correct.
The sealer he has on his ride is to prevent future marring of the paint.
Before that sealer can be worth it's weight though you have to do a correction to the paint.
The sealer doesn't correct it protects.

If you don't care other than just having the ride clean then by all means don't spend the dough, but if you want a finish that looks as awesome as BigMacs, get it done sooner rather then later, IMO.
2014 XSport