• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

More on Roush Yates 3.5 Ecoboost

Started by CrazyRacingMan, November 12, 2013, 07:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyRacingMan

So as someone previously posted Ford Racing has gotten Ganassi to switch from BMW to Ford Ecoboost for the new sportscar series.  The rules last year were limited to 500ish hp and Grand Am would adjust the rev limit if one manufacture had to much power, they took 500 rpm away from Ford 2 years ago.  Anyways like 4DR I have been bugging Roush Yates about the aftermarket potential, and a few questions on their fuel system but they have not returned any emails yet.  I did provide them with a link to the forum, and maybe they will stop by I can also see how they would want to keep their data in house. Here are some recent videos on the 3.5 they built for the DP.  It carries 70% crossover from the SHO. Maybe someone can't get ahold of Jamie Allison from Ford Racing!

http://youtu.be/-jExV7N9U0k

http://youtu.be/pdkQCe4si1A

http://youtu.be/wgKsTuiudyU
2011 SHO Air Raid CAI, 170 DEG T-stat, LMS V8 93 Stage 4+

EcoPowerParts

I've sent emails, facebook, linkedin all ignored. Ford Racing on facebook said they can't talk to me. One of the major reasons why I gave up on the platform for a little bit, I need a rest from innovating and to follow some other people's lead for awhile. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

FoMoCoSHO

I wonder what the reasoning is for not talking to a loyal supporter of their product?

What a crappy way to conduct business.

vernonator

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 12, 2013, 10:26:50 PM
I wonder what the reasoning is for not talking to a loyal supporter of their product?

What a crappy way to conduct business.

Most likely they have some exclusivity contracts with the various racing teams. Racing is BIG business and you can rest assured that there are some iron clad NDA's inplace on both sides of the deals.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

05yellowgt

Watch the third video and you can see how Rousch Yates solved the HPFP problem.  There are TWO HPFP's, one on each head.
2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost- SOLD
2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew 6.5ft bed Ecoboost w/3.55

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: 05yellowgt on November 13, 2013, 11:59:48 AM
Watch the third video and you can see how Rousch Yates solved the HPFP problem.  There are TWO HPFP's, one on each head.
Very interesting. Can we pull this off on our cars?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

FoMoCoSHO

Stock block and heads....that means our cars are capable of some serious power without blowing up.

Maybe FRPP will finally give us some love now.

LOL, probably not.

05yellowgt

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 13, 2013, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: 05yellowgt on November 13, 2013, 11:59:48 AM
Very interesting. Can we pull this off on our cars?
On paper? Probably.  At minimum there would need to be a new cam (need the extra lobe to drive the second HPFP), new valve cover, possibly customer machining/fab on the head (so the HPFP can be mounted), new fuel line plumbing (both Low pressure and high pressure lines), and probably the most importantly, a way to control dual HPFP's.  It might be as simple as tying the sensor wiring of the new HPFP into the original wiring and changing fueling tables in the stock ECU to trick it into thinking that the single pump is flowing double, or it might take a custom stand alone fuel controller.  That doesn't even address if there is physical room in the transverse platform.

Bottom lne, it looks like at minimum a $3000+ upgrade and probably much for for the first brave sole that tries to go through all of this assuming that Roush Yates isn't going to have their own "kit".

05yellowgt

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 13, 2013, 12:50:28 PM
Stock block and heads....that means our cars are capable of some serious power without blowing up.

Maybe FRPP will finally give us some love now.

LOL, probably not.
Many people take the "stock block" statement the wrong way.  I'm as close to 100% as you could be in saying that "stock block" means the bare block, not the stock crank, rods, pistons.  Stock block, is also going to be the F150 block, which IS different that the transverse 3.5 Ecoboost.  the F150 block has extra main bolts and some other structural differences that make it stronger

EcoPowerParts

OK so I make more power than their motor on a COMPLETELY stock block, pistons, rods, heads etc. Those guys have forged rods and pistons with stock crank along with porting/polishing of the head.
I've looked into a second HPFP, the low pressure lines/in tank fuel pumps I have handled. The valve cover will be $10K to $20K for me to get castings made to make the cover. The cam is where I ran into a brick wall and was hoping ford could tell me where to go to buy one.
The F150 and Transverse block are both 6 bolt mains, just FYI. No difference in the bottom end. They used a SHO block for their motors, I bought one of their take off manifolds for my aux injector manifold. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

CrazyRacingMan

I have some more pictures as well.  The intake manifold intrigues me as they are using 2 throttle bodies and each turbo feeds a spilt intake. Early syncs showed it as steel and now it appears to be a plastic polymer.  The turbos each have the own air water cooler. Ford has put a lot into this ecoboost platform.

4 Dr have you tried contacting Ford Racing? They have been going with relevancy as the reason to race an ecoboost so maybe with some well worded discussions we can get some of the engineering to trickle down.

I have a feeling if the 5.5 l vs "voodoo" ecoboost for the go 50 replacement is true it will open even more doors for us. Ford can't unveil the new Mustang soon enough.

EcoPowerParts

My convo on Facebook:
QuoteConversation started October 3
Mike Bambic
10/3, 8:50am
Mike Bambic

I don't know if you guys can share the video of my Flex putting down 600HP on a stock Ecoboost V6 or not but it would be great if you could show the strength of this motor. We've just upgraded fuel system and bigger turbos and new downpipes. Pretty simple mods. Thanks! Mike
October 3
Mike Bambic
10/3, 12:19pm
Mike Bambic

I know you guys are super super busy but even a simple nice job or, sorry we can't share your video would be nice after I've sent you guys a couple of messages. I'm working my tail off trying to prove the Ecoboost platform is a valid strong engine and making great gains on my own. It would be awesome if Ford recognized it publicly or even better would share some info on how I can get some more flow out of the heads etc. So far all of my work has been done by myself and a few others I've convinced into making parts for me. Anyhow great job on the Ecoboost V6 race motor, I look forward to seeing what the stock block can handle as I am also pushing the platform as far as it can go. Also can you confirm or deny the following in your Ecoboost race motor: Forged rods and pistons Modified valve train and head work

I'd love to chat with whoever did the fueling, I've had to add auxiliary injectors and controller. To have an upgraded direct injection pump and injectors available for this platform would be AMAZING and allow us to tune within the factory ECU instead of with factory ECU + piggyback for the aux fuel injectors.
October 4
Ford Racing
10/4, 5:55am
Ford Racing

Mike, we saw your video on our wall and the power gains you have achieved are impressive. We can forward your note to one of engineers for answers. Thanks again for sharing the video.
Mike Bambic
10/4, 5:56am
Mike Bambic

Thanks for the response
October 4
Ford Racing
10/4, 11:54am
Ford Racing

We spoke with our engineers and without giving away too many trade secrets, here is what we were told. The EcoBoost Race engine has been designed and calibrated to withstand the continuous high RPM demands associated with endurance racing. The EcoBoost race engine uses a stock block, forged rods and pistons in conjunction with a slightly modified cam. The heads are stock castings with slight modifications to enable improved flow to accommodate the larger turbos. Due to series requirements, the VCT is locked out. Thanks again for your post and good luck with your high horsepower Flex!
Mike Bambic
10/4, 11:55am
Mike Bambic

Can I ask them one more question please, I need to understand if they modified the fuel system please.

Thank you very very much for your response. I'm literally all by myself at the power levels and modifications I'm at and any guidance is super helpful!
Ford Racing
10/4, 12:43pm
Ford Racing

Mike, yes. Fuel delivery needed to be enhanced to feed the beast.
Mike Bambic
10/4, 12:52pm
Mike Bambic

is the car still direct injected if so did they upgrade the factory fuel pump and injectors

I need to find a source to be able to upgrade my high pressure fuel pump and injectors
Ford Racing
10/4, 1:01pm
Ford Racing

Yes, still direct injected with a bigger fuel pump. Good luck!
www.ecopowerparts.com -

CrazyRacingMan

Typical response. I'm sure things will trickle down soon.