• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Routing amplifier power wire?

Started by QwikSHO, November 11, 2013, 06:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QwikSHO

For those of you that have put an aftermarket sub in your car, where did you route your power wire?  I couldn't find a grommet anywhere in the firewall where I could get a wire through.

I'm not really keen on drilling a hole in my $40k car just to route a wire.   There has to be a place I missed.

Damn new cars.   I've never had this much trouble finding a spot on any of my other cars.

BiGMaC

Given under-hood temps, stay away from obvious heat sources; you'll want your wire and main fuse easily accessible and out of the way for engine maintenance.  Not sure about the grommet.  I've installed a lot of stereos. I'd recommend as large a wire as the amp will handle and one that's several thousand strands... oxygen free of course.  I'd locate an area clear in the firewall and clear/accessible under the dash.  Buy a grommet to fit your wire.  Then just drill, prime the hole, wait an hour or two and place the grommet pull, then connect the wire, and finally seal it with some silicon sealer. What kind of sub are you going with?  In a box or free-air?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

QwikSHO

I appreciate the input, but this isn't my first go-round in the audio installation world.

I just was wondering if there were any places I missed when I had my head up in the footwell looking for possible places to route the wire.   There's just so many boxes, harnesses, and sound deadening material crammed in there that I couldn't find a reliable place.

Like I said, I'd prefer not to drill if it comes to that.  Even then I couldn't find a good place to drill if I wanted to...not knowing what was on the other side of the firewall.

Josephm

I would appreciate an answer as well. I should be running some 0 awg soon
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

EcoPowerParts

If I were to do it, I would run the power wire under the car, there's a channel next to the exhaust that the fuel lines run in. There's a grommet in the spare tire well that you can bring it in.
Worked well for my fuel pumps :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

QwikSHO

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 11, 2013, 09:13:28 PM
If I were to do it, I would run the power wire under the car, there's a channel next to the exhaust that the fuel lines run in. There's a grommet in the spare tire well that you can bring it in.
Worked well for my fuel pumps :)

You sir, may have just the idea.   Now I need a lift....or another pair of jackstands, lol

Lanson

It probably works just like the Flex.  Go to my install threads and you'll see two ways to get there.

My advice, pull the faux cowl panel for the wipers and look for a grommet.  That was what I did in my 2013 after another forum member gave it a shot.  Credit given in my thread.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune