• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque Knock PID - may have some progress...

Started by ecoboostsho, November 08, 2013, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 12, 2014, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on August 12, 2014, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 09, 2014, 10:40:40 PM
So has anybody set up timing advance next to the knock gauge?

Cause I can clearly see timing being removed when the knock gauge moves into the negative and added back as it moves back to zero.

Have we had it backwards the whole time or am I missing something?
Yes, I am also seeing my timing adv. go from a 45-50 at no throttle to mid 30's - mid 20 ' s under light throttle and a drop to around 10 at wot.
This is normal behavior and how timing works in general.  You will definitely get a ton of timing advance under light throttle and less under WOT (although 10 seems low...I would expect you'd see between 17-20 degrees at WOT - how much boost are you running?) 

If you are going to measure timing advance due to knock you need to hold the throttle steady and be on a steady "grade" etc...the goal is not have any engine load variations so the timing number settles to something "desired"...then watch the knock gauge - when it starts to do its -0.25, -0.5, -1,... thing watch your timing advance gauge (again without moving the throttle!) and you should see timing increase.  It does on my car every time.  If the throttle position changes or the grade changes etc...what you are seeing is being caused by other variables.
My cars behavior is the exact opposite. Any kind of acceleration with cruise on 72 causes negative knock and timing retard. As the number climbs back to zero, timing is added every time. If I add accel, the negative number decreases and timing Is pulled even more.

So for these specific driving conditions, are you guys seeing the same thing?

ecoboostsho

Weird. Although If you or the cruise control adds pedal the timing will go down. It is supposed to...it has nothing to do with the knock gauge it is just moving to a different part of the timing table. If you are saying you are keeping the throttle steady with very little rpm change and as the kr gauge decrements then it is subtracting timing then that is indeed opposite and I have no idea why it is different.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Larrylu

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 12, 2014, 08:09:12 PM
Weird. Although If you or the cruise control adds pedal the timing will go down. It is supposed to...it has nothing to do with the knock gauge it is just moving to a different part of the timing table. If you are saying you are keeping the throttle steady with very little rpm change and as the kr gauge decrements then it is subtracting timing then that is indeed opposite and I have no idea why it is different.

Mine pretty much reads like yours
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 12, 2014, 08:09:12 PM

The question is....is it pulling less timing than it would otherwise

It's the not knowing that makes me nervous. High gear plus boost was deadly for a bunch of Mazda 2.3 turbos hence my concern.

SHOdded

What ethanol blend % are you running now, FoMoCo?  Have you tried going back to E10/pump gas no blend?  Maybe a fuel system drier, as water may have built up over time.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on August 13, 2014, 03:56:51 AM
What ethanol blend % are you running now, FoMoCo?  Have you tried going back to E10/pump gas no blend?  Maybe a fuel system drier, as water may have built up over time.
Since I was tuned last week, Down to 25%

I feel like if that was the issue, I'd see issues elsewhere also.

I sent Torrie a datalog of my normal drive to work, I will ask him to peek at what he sees on the SCT device.....that might help me figure out what is going on. Its just weird that it behaves pretty Much the same tuned or unturned.

SHOnUup

So at 70 mph cruising speed with light throttle to get a -kr I was also seeing timing adv added...think this gauge will be replaced now
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 13, 2014, 10:37:38 AM
So at 70 mph cruising speed with light throttle to get a -kr I was also seeing timing adv added...think this gauge will be replaced now
That is what Larry and I see as well...can't figure out what is going on with the other guys...

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ShoBoat

Anyone else notice more knock events since the updated equation? Before the update I would get .5 once in a while. Now I get .8 to 1.5 on light throttle at least once or 2x per drive? I think I'm going to double check against FORScan.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

Only when mine is heatsoaked...the new intake mod actually helped me.

ShoBoat

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 14, 2014, 04:26:58 PM
Only when mine is heatsoaked...the new intake mod actually helped me.

Nice I'm glad that it did, I am starting to it maybe beneficial to go one step cooler on the plugs. It really doesn't seem to have any logical pattern. I will glance over at the readout and there it is. I try to duplicate it and can't? It's really weird. It's really cool here today also.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 14, 2014, 04:24:35 PM
Anyone else notice more knock events since the updated equation? Before the update I would get .5 once in a while. Now I get .8 to 1.5 on light throttle at least once or 2x per drive? I think I'm going to double check against FORScan.
Yes. Well not anymore events, but a slightly higher reading in the normal kr situations. Also seems to respond faster, or its just reading smaller increments which makes it seem faster.
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Larrylu

I haven't noticed any difference with the new equation so far at least. I am still running the stock tune right now due to trying to get the dealer to swap sensors in my tranny. My KR   readings stock are -4 and +1
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ecoboostsho

I should clarify one thing. The new equation accounts for a 1/4 of a degree. If you had a .75 before the old equation would have shown that as .5. Also .75 rounds to .8 so I could see you thinking it was higher visually. Or said differently, If you think its higher it was because you were getting .75 but it was only displaying the .5 as it didn't add the quarter degree.

SHOnUup

Makes sense, .5 is the difference I'm seeing.