• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque Knock PID - may have some progress...

Started by ecoboostsho, November 08, 2013, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

So has anybody set up timing advance next to the knock gauge?

Cause I can clearly see timing being removed when the knock gauge moves into the negative and added back as it moves back to zero.

Have we had it backwards the whole time or am I missing something?

scap99

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 09, 2014, 10:40:40 PM

Cause I can clearly see timing being removed when the knock gauge moves into the negative and added back as it moves back to zero.

It's opposite for me on the truck and with my SCT tunes.

Negative knock = timing added
Positive knock = timing pulled

FoMoCoSHO

ShoBoat

I'll have a look but I really can see how that is? It's possible that the tune (stock or not) be subtracting timing during the condition and adding it back in for -KR simultaneously. It just appears what you have described. I'm not sure if that makes sense.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

I watched this today and a "Negative KR" reading results in timing being added...which is what I expected.  At least on mine...

As I'm sure you know the car takes in to account a lot of variables to determine what timing it is going to run (MAP, RPM, IAT, Octane rating, Knock, etc...) and we are just watching one variable in that equation so I suppose something else could be subtracting timing on your car?
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

FoMoCoSHO

I'm gonna try and grab a video to post up.

SHOnUup

Yes, I am also seeing my timing adv. go from a 45-50 at no throttle to mid 30's - mid 20 ' s under light throttle and a drop to around 10 at wot.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Larrylu

But what is called for, and is what you are seeing being affected by the KR reading
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHOnUup

As I get negative knock reading timing adv drops.
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

I've been watching my timing vs knock for several days now. I have screen shots of torque. I took one after every drive I made. So I have a record of everything as my fuel mixes change. I see -5.0 nock in 5th or 6th going up steep hills.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 12, 2014, 12:45:55 PM

Yes, I am also seeing my timing adv. go from a 45-50 at no throttle to mid 30's - mid 20 ' s under light throttle and a drop to around 10 at wot.
This is normal behavior and how timing works in general.  You will definitely get a ton of timing advance under light throttle and less under WOT (although 10 seems low...I would expect you'd see between 17-20 degrees at WOT - how much boost are you running?) 

If you are going to measure timing advance due to knock you need to hold the throttle steady and be on a steady "grade" etc...the goal is not have any engine load variations so the timing number settles to something "desired"...then watch the knock gauge - when it starts to do its -0.25, -0.5, -1,... thing watch your timing advance gauge (again without moving the throttle!) and you should see timing increase.  It does on my car every time.  If the throttle position changes or the grade changes etc...what you are seeing is being caused by other variables.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

SHOnUup

Today I noticed a spike of 15.2 for boost. While watching the timing adv wasn't keeping track of boost (will do next time). I do notice it jump up and down a bit when at even throttle. Lowest I saw timing adv go was 12 at wot with 0 "kr"

ecoboostsho

I just don't think you guys are going to see it in action during anything other than a light throttle run.  At WOT (or any boost #) there are a number of things that can affect timing so you'd have no way to know what is contributing to the number changing.  Another thing to note is that the ECU will reduce timing at the shifts to save the tranny and preserve shift quality (aka Torque Management).  There are a LOT of variables that go in to determining timing (mean best torque tables, octane tables, etc...) and multiple adders and subtracters (IAT, Coolant Temp, Knock, ...).

I would at least try my experiment at light throttle where the car starts showing incremental negative KR and watch what the timing is doing during that.  That should at least minimize the number of variables.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 12, 2014, 02:44:14 PM
Today I noticed a spike of 15.2 for boost. While watching the timing adv wasn't keeping track of boost (will do next time). I do notice it jump up and down a bit when at even throttle. Lowest I saw timing adv go was 12 at wot with 0 "kr"
Was that 12 during a shift?

SHOnUup

Could have been...first time really paying attention to it...will add this variable to the checklist for next run