• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

100% Methanol: Possible Benefit?

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, October 21, 2013, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

Outside the obvious performance oriented benefits of running 100% methanol compared to a 50% water/methanol mixture, is it also possible that a 100% methanol setup completely removes the chances of hydrolocking your engine that can occur with a 50% water/methanol mixture?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

You are missing my point.... I never had any issues until I both was running 100% denatured alcohol and LUGGING the vehicle to get some logs at low RPM.
This is not something one would ever experience unless you did what I did.  Effectively I got way too much fluid, gas and alcohol in the cylinders, relative to the amount that could be compressed without causing ring land fractures.  As I stated, my engine ran fine above 2500 rpm.  The fractures lowered the compression ratio at low rpm due to the air seaping by the rings.  At higher RPM the rings held the compression just fine.  One rod had a slight "S" bend that was almost invisible, unless you compared a straight one with it. Had some minor scuffing in that cyl on wall.

You are much more likely to fry a piston due to a lean condition, than what I did.

As for Methanol... anything 50% or more is flammable.  Obviously the higher the percentage, the higher the octane and the more flammability.  I had been running about 70% methanol, but I feel that the important thing is to be sure you are tuned for the % of methanol you are using.  50% - 75% -100% whatever...  The only reason one should consider 100% methanol is that we need more fuel if one is using a 3 bar sensor and seeing boost levels in the 17-19PSI or higher (depending on turbo output).

However, the 100% dentatured alcohol would have worked just fine had  I not lugged the engine.  It might not have performed as well as Methanol, but if tuned properly for it, it works almost as good, relative to it's octane.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Fast SHO

I don't see any major benefit to running 100% v 50% other than cost and availability.

I ran a 50% solution of HEET and Windshield washer fluid in my Cobra.  Worked great and gave me exactly what I was looking for; lower intake temps and thus the ability to increase timing.
2014 SHO PP

BiGMaC

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on October 21, 2013, 06:24:19 PM
You are missing my point.... I never had any issues until I both was running 100% denatured alcohol and LUGGING the vehicle to get some logs at low RPM.
This is not something one would ever experience unless you did what I did.  Effectively I got way too much fluid, gas and alcohol in the cylinders, relative to the amount that could be compressed without causing ring land fractures.  As I stated, my engine ran fine above 2500 rpm.  The fractures lowered the compression ratio at low rpm due to the air seaping by the rings.  At higher RPM the rings held the compression just fine.  One rod had a slight "S" bend that was almost invisible, unless you compared a straight one with it. Had some minor scuffing in that cyl on wall.

You are much more likely to fry a piston due to a lean condition, than what I did.

As for Methanol... anything 50% or more is flammable.  Obviously the higher the percentage, the higher the octane and the more flammability.  I had been running about 70% methanol, but I feel that the important thing is to be sure you are tuned for the % of methanol you are using.  50% - 75% -100% whatever...  The only reason one should consider 100% methanol is that we need more fuel if one is using a 3 bar sensor and seeing boost levels in the 17-19PSI or higher (depending on turbo output).

However, the 100% dentatured alcohol would have worked just fine had  I not lugged the engine.  It might not have performed as well as Methanol, but if tuned properly for it, it works almost as good, relative to it's octane.

The voice of experience!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Frozen Taurus

The only benefit  I see is the octane boost from the pure meth, you are loosing the heat disappating properties of the water mixed in though. I run 70/30 meth to water in my other car with great results. With our small IC core I would think some water mixed in would be ideal. Plus pure meth is corrosive and can wreak havoc on things that have rubber gaskets on the intake system. I have seen throttle position sensors rusted right out from meth/water gettings past rubber gaskets under boost on other cars.
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

crash712us

Diluting meth doesn't make it any less corrosive. At least that's what any classic car will tell you, as I hear how E10 ruins fuel systems in classic cars.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Josephm

Quote from: crash712us on December 20, 2013, 10:44:27 PM
Diluting meth doesn't make it any less corrosive. At least that's what any classic car will tell you, as I hear how E10 ruins fuel systems in classic cars.

Methanol and Ethonal are different
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

BiGMaC

Quote from: Josephm on December 21, 2013, 02:37:51 AM
Quote from: crash712us on December 20, 2013, 10:44:27 PM

Methanol and Ethonal are different

Exactly!... Methanol and ethanol both get you drunk... but methanol makes you blind! :beer2:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

EcoBrick Bob

Ethanol for our vehicles has additives that will kill you...
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

BiGMaC

EBB...   Can I borrow your stomach pump?  :icon_biggrin:

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mhenne4

As the resident ecoboost drunk, I can't condone drinking either meth or eth, that's bad mmmmmm-kay?

Stick with beer or if your feeling fancy crown royal.

Carry on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
2011 Silver SHO with PP
LMS Stage 4+

bpd1151

Gotta love Hennessey's perspective(s).

:beer:

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 21, 2013, 12:33:12 PM
EBB...   Can I borrow your stomach pump?  :icon_biggrin:

I shoulda used it Friday night... LOL  3 buck Chuck almost did me in!!!!