• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Got some more passes in last night.

Started by EcoPowerParts, October 13, 2013, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Got some decent but not great passes in the Flex last night. We were finally able to tune the fuel pretty well for track passes but the car is shifting way too late, around 6500 rpm which is well past the torque and HP curve. 1K or 1500 RPM sooner nets big increases. Also the Flex is completely shutting down at about 90% down the track (right around 105-110 MPH), it just closes the throttle body completely and no more boost.... Best pass with me manually short shifting but banging off the rev limiter in 2nd was 12.5@110 with a 1.9 60' not a full pass, car shut me down on this one too). I need to start using nitrous at 3K RPM in first just to get the turbos spooling a little faster, it's the first time I have noticed lag in the car was the first 30' in first gear, then it lights up and TAKES OFF. The track was STICKY, couldn't force a burnout at all except when I rolled through the water box, locked the E-brake and power braked it. This resulted in the ECU being PISSED about the AWD system and closing the throttle body so crap pass. Everything now is in the tune, shift points and getting rid of the torque cap in the tune (that's what's closing the throttle at 90% down the track)

So recap:
1. I have to figure out scaling for the 3 bar map sensor so I can tune the car.
2. Do NOT do a forced FWD burnout the car gets mad
3. 275/50/17 M&H drag radials ROCK , plenty of traction.
4. The car reacts to everything it doesn't like by closing the throttle body :)
5. The AWD system and axles doesn't mind 600HP at all so far, when I forced the burnout the wrench came on and I thought I had broke the car, turned off the car then started it again, wrench off and car worked normally again.
6. If the car closes the throttle body on you, you must turn off the car to regain boost or if you continue to drive it you'll be at 0 boost at WOT and around 6psi at part throttle until you shut the car off.

Working through it, one puzzle at a time! :)
I should also mention the 1/8 miles were 8.2/8.3's which is .2/.3 higher than my last passes at the track, that's seriously affecting my 1/4 mile times as well. So many pieces to this puzzle.

Here's a crappy video of the best pass. I was working really hard to try and make boost off the line but the car just overwhelms the brakes.... :(
The delay at me taking off we me trying to brake boost the car to get a better launch which worked with a 1.9 60', rest were all 2.1's...

Best pass of the night 12.5@110

Car weights 5035 with me in it and the right rear passenger seat out which is around 50lbs so right at 5085 (I'll weigh seat to verify this week)

Here's the burnout video where the car got mad...
http://youtu.be/6kfa-z74hgM
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

05yellowgt

Baby steps are still progress. Nobody had ever explored these ECU's at the power levels you are at, as I am sure you are already aware. What where your 1/8 mile trap speeds and how did those compare to your previous bests?
2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost- SOLD
2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew 6.5ft bed Ecoboost w/3.55

EcoPowerParts

Trap speed was down quite a bit, all of the ET and MPH was made in 3rd gear.
I'm also going to check my plugs and gap to make sure that I'm not getting spark blowout at 5500 RPM and up because I'm losing a ton of power up top.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

steve142857

Mike: I don't know 10% of what you know about cars... However, trust me that you don't want ever to attempt a burnout the way you did it... PM for details if interested... Save 5K$ : ~
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

steve142857

You press e-brake and brake/boost it and the front wheel start spinning and it smells burn... Cool! Then you do t a little more and you realize it wasn't the smell of burned rubber but the tranny... Oops!
Put it to neutral, the car continues to move forward... Put it in reverse and the car still move forward?!? Not cool.
Your tranny will already be under enough stress with all your power, don't F it with an attempt to burnout...
The best way I found to heat my tires was to do donuts in the parking (left and right), then I don't go in the waterbox and I WOT the 50ft until stage line to make sure no rocks or dust on tires and it primes the meth at the same time...
But if you have slicks, I have no idea how you can do a safe burn... Maybe you will have to buy tire warmers like in F1?
Good luck and cool to follow the evolution of your Flex!
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

SHOdded

Sounds like the challenges you had when figuring out your fueling system, Mike.  This too shall pass, and I too hope it is all in the tune!  Maybe you will have to move to carbon brakes to get hold you need ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

I think 4DR's gonna need one of those big thick metal cable things that the F16's use to catch themselves while maneuvering in for their landing atop an aircraft carrier.

Then it can be whisked out of the way just as 4DR's building the power/boost/etc that he needs to hurtle himself down the track akin to Iron Man going subsonic through the skies above.

Now that'd be cool......

4DR in an Iron Man suit while racing his Flex!

Hahahahahaha...... Halloween is quickly approaching.

"Sent while on the road, burn'n meth, screeching tires, winding out the gears, & push'n the twins"

steve142857

Bdp Mike: reading your post, it looks like you are getting drunk i preparation for your surgical intervention tomorrow! Lol

EcoPowerParts

I think the stall converter sitting in my garage will help my brake stall issues. :)
Need to get tuning fixed and then I'll think about it, water to air IC will make me some more power as well. Easiest way to get out of the hole is a 50 shot of nitrous at 3K rpm or so, just enough to get me going quickly and hit boost :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -

bpd1151

Hahaha..... I wish.

Stone sober actually.

I have to start fasting in about a 1/2hr from now.

"Sent while on the road, burn'n meth, screeching tires, winding out the gears, & push'n the twins"

SHOdded

A tailhook?  Hmmm, that plus a parachute, might just keep the Flex from taking flight ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

EcoPowerParts

Somebody took an awesome pic of the brick at the track!
www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: steve142857 on October 13, 2013, 11:53:49 PM
You press e-brake and brake/boost it and the front wheel start spinning and it smells burn... Cool! Then you do t a little more and you realize it wasn't the smell of burned rubber but the tranny... Oops!
Put it to neutral, the car continues to move forward... Put it in reverse and the car still move forward?!? Not cool.
Your tranny will already be under enough stress with all your power, don't F it with an attempt to burnout...
The best way I found to heat my tires was to do donuts in the parking (left and right), then I don't go in the waterbox and I WOT the 50ft until stage line to make sure no rocks or dust on tires and it primes the meth at the same time...
But if you have slicks, I have no idea how you can do a safe burn... Maybe you will have to buy tire warmers like in F1?
Good luck and cool to follow the evolution of your Flex!

I don't know about the staging areas at Mike's track in Tucson, but here in IA there is sand on the asphalt. While waiting to run, I rubbed my hand over my front tire and it was covered with sand.  I found that going thru the water bath and then doing a burnout like Mike did, got me the best times and the least amount of PCM resistance.

The alternative was to drive around the water bath and then do a burnout, but I seemed to spin out more often in first, where PCM drops boost, fuel, or advance. I have actually found the T/C helps runs, when tires aren't sticking with it off.

Here is my reasoning on going thru the water bath... If you can clean off and dry fronts afterward by doing a burnout, you have better traction than with dirty and cold tires.  Rears don't matter, as you can see in Mike's burnout.  They just don't spin loose.

Tire warmers would be really cool... as would a couple of BPD girls wiping down the fronts just before the lights... I think I would pay extra to see that!!!!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on October 14, 2013, 12:26:59 AM
I think the stall converter sitting in my garage will help my brake stall issues. :)
Need to get tuning fixed and then I'll think about it, water to air IC will make me some more power as well. Easiest way to get out of the hole is a 50 shot of nitrous at 3K rpm or so, just enough to get me going quickly and hit boost :)
I forgot to ask you about that... Surprised you didn't install when you were working on the turbo switch. It will be interesting to see how the PCM handles that mod....
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.