• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Replacing cats

Started by l8agin, October 17, 2023, 02:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l8agin

My 2016 Explorer is at the dealership and they're saying all my cats are bad.  I think the performance tune may have contributed, but that's another story.  They said my vehicle has 3 cats and prices are quite high.  In looking for alternatives, 2 other dealers I spoke with say my vehicle only has 2 cat converters.  I'm thinking the third is the resonator?

Besides for my personal clarification, the reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of the with the PPE catted downpipes instead of the oem cats in the front.  But those look like they only include the front cats.  Will I need the 3rd cat/resonator?  I'm in Maryland and want to pass emissions.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

SHOdded

only need to replace the usual 2.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!