• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MKS temp gauge issue.

Started by ChaudMasterFlex, October 05, 2023, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaudMasterFlex

I have a 2014 MKS ecoboost and I’m having an issue where the temp gauge randomly drops while driving. It never goes above the “normal” spot, but always drops with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it’s just a single step down, other times it drops quite significantly. Temps seem normal number wise (cruising 194-200, and jump to 209-210 when idling). I put a new 170 t-stat in yesterday and spent about an hour trying to bleed it (hoses weren’t collapsed, both were hot). Felt like I lost more coolant than I put back in too. It’s doing the same thing with the new t-stat (feels like it’s doing more tbh). Also, water pump, chains, guides etc were changed 1k miles ago. It’s driving me nuts, any ideas?
2014 MKS - AFE intake, colder plugs, 3-bar map, 170, MSD coils
2010 Honda Odyssey
2014 WRX - fully built  402WHP 378WTQ
2014 Highlander
2001 Corolla 478k

SHOdded

certainly could still be air pockets but havent seen this erratic behaviour in a related way. how have you been bleeding the system. you can use a lisle spillfree funnel to help with the process. make sure that while idling/parked, the reservoir is the high point of the cooling system. parked on a curb or sloped driveway or ramps on that side will help.

battery voltage weakness could potentially cause this type of issue. or pest-damaged wiring.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ChaudMasterFlex

Quote from: SHOdded on October 09, 2023, 03:56:21 PM
certainly could still be air pockets but havent seen this erratic behaviour in a related way. how have you been bleeding the system. you can use a lisle spillfree funnel to help with the process. make sure that while idling/parked, the reservoir is the high point of the cooling system. parked on a curb or sloped driveway or ramps on that side will help.

battery voltage weakness could potentially cause this type of issue. or pest-damaged wiring.

Battery is new. I've been bleeding it with the cap off and a funnel. It's just driving me nuts.
2014 MKS - AFE intake, colder plugs, 3-bar map, 170, MSD coils
2010 Honda Odyssey
2014 WRX - fully built  402WHP 378WTQ
2014 Highlander
2001 Corolla 478k

Thomks

The thermostat is just a valve for coolant to enter, it reaches a certain temp, ie. 170
2013 MKS EcoBoost: NGK plugs and coils, Livernois 160