• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Engine oil...

Started by FracaSHO, September 06, 2013, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FracaSHO

I know this topic had been talked to death, I just want to make one last inquiry about it before I do my first oil change.

As most, if not all of you know, Ford changes the recommended oil from 5.5 quarts of 5W20 for 2010 SHO's, to 6 quarts of 5W30 for the 2011. The general consensus is to stick with what 'your' manual says.

I had Ford change the oil as soon as I got my SHO, mainly because I had no idea when the last oil change was done. Ford techs did use 5W20. But, and here's where my logic kicks in, they used 6 quarts of oil. My manual says 5.5 quarts.  If they are going with the new recommendation on amount, why shouldn't I be using 5W30 as well. As far as I can tell, the engines in the 2010 and 2011 are identical.

What is everyone's opinion on this subject?  Does my thinking change yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

DJE624

Could they have put in 5.5 qts and just charged you for 6?  If it was mine and I was using full syn, I would use the 5W30.  But that's just me. 

FracaSHO

Quote from: DJE624 on September 06, 2013, 12:12:57 PM
Could they have put in 5.5 qts and just charged you for 6?  If it was mine and I was using full syn, I would use the 5W30.  But that's just me.

You know what, that's a good question. I regularly check my oil and the levels look good. But I'll know for sure when I take out what they put in. I am using full synthetic and I am leaning towards using 5W30, motorcraft.

Brad

Joleat

If you are at all indecisive, you might want to take a few minutes and read up on the available oils over at www.bobistheoilguy.com. I've decided to switch between two oils so I will have a chance of always catching it on sale somewhere. I've selected Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and Mobil 1 EP 5w30. I prefer a PureOne or Mobil 1 filter. Check your local parts stores for deals on oil. The last time I purchased Pennzoil Ultra, it came with a $10 mail-in-rebate and a $5 coupon off of a future purchase. The oil, coupled with a PureOne filter, only set me back ~$30 after the rebate. Pennzoil Ultra shows some of the best results of any oil on the market.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

QwikSHO

Don't wanna derail the thread, but can you switch from straight dino oil to straight synthetic?  Trying to decide what to do with my first oil change.

Joleat

You sure can.

The longstanding myth that you shouldn't switch from dino-based oil to synthetic oil stems from the idea that switching to synthetic will cause your engine to develop leaks. This couldn't be further from the truth. Synthetic oils tend to have better additive packages that dino-based oils. These additives help to clean away the sludge from tired engines and uncover leaky gaskets. Synthetic oil, in and of itself, does not cause these leaks. They were simply clogged with engine sludge prior to the switch.

In your case, this shouldn't even be a concern since your car is so new. If I were you, I would switch to synthetic and never look back.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

crash712us

Engine are the same, but clearance spec's may have changed, size of oil passages etc could be different. But all SHO's are 6qrts.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Showgun

Quote from: FracaSHO on September 06, 2013, 11:59:44 AM
I know this topic had been talked to death, I just want to make one last inquiry about it before I do my first oil change.

As most, if not all of you know, Ford changes the recommended oil from 5.5 quarts of 5W20 for 2010 SHO's, to 6 quarts of 5W30 for the 2011. The general consensus is to stick with what 'your' manual says.

I had Ford change the oil as soon as I got my SHO, mainly because I had no idea when the last oil change was done. Ford techs did use 5W20. But, and here's where my logic kicks in, they used 6 quarts of oil. My manual says 5.5 quarts.  If they are going with the new recommendation on amount, why shouldn't I be using 5W30 as well. As far as I can tell, the engines in the 2010 and 2011 are identical.

What is everyone's opinion on this subject?  Does my thinking change yours? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The dealer probably put in only 5.5 (if that's what is called for) and charged you for 6 qts. Mine takes 6 of 5W30 which would be my preference over 5W20.....

You're probably fine with either one tho.

Check the levels to make sure it's not over full.

C.
Colin --2011 SHO  Livernois Tune #4

mjhpadi

:chair: Here we go again!  First as far as 5w-20 goes, I've been using it in all my Ford vehicles since 1998 without experiencing any oil related problems, and that's almost 300,000 miles!  Also Torrie of Unleashed Tuning weighted in on the subject a long time back and said use what the factory recommends.  And as far as I know Torrie has NOT given anyone any bad advice, so I really side with his recommendation. 
   Now for 5.5 vs 6 quart argument....when I had the dealer do my free changes they first did 5.5...no problem, but when I asked them to use 6 quarts they did, again no problems.  Since I've been doing my changes I've always used 6 quarts of 5w-20 and plan on continuing that.  Also I also do 6 quarts in our 99 Sable which also says 5.5 quarts, but 6 quarts does NOT overfill either the Sable or the SHO, and with the turbos and extra oil lines, I think it is best to stick with 6 quarts in the SHO.  However, it's still less expensive then the 5.4 in my Lincoln Mark LT which needed 7 quarts!!!
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

mjhpadi

Just as a point of reference only 2010's recommend 5w-20, that changed to 5w-30 for 2011 up.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)

EcoBrick Bob

That's why the 2010's are faster out of the box!!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bpd1151

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on September 06, 2013, 06:17:33 PMThat's why the 2010's are faster out of the box!!!!

Damn skippy baby!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 6

FracaSHO

I emailed Ford about this subject and explained how this can be confusing.  I did get a reply but it was the usual "use what is recommended in you owners guide" answer that is to be expected.  But I did realize that the owners manual is on the 3rd printing. So I would like to think, or hope, that if there was an issue using 5W20 on the 2010 SHO's, that would have been addressed and changed. But it hasn't, so therefore I am sticking with 5W20.  And I feel confident in that choice since bpd1151 said he uses 5W20 and you know he's not easy on his SHO, especially since he doesn't need to worry about getting any tickets.  Oh the Fringe benefits.

Brad

mjhpadi

As I stated earlier, I've logged 130K+ miles using 5w-20 in various vehicles without any oil related problems so I am confident that you can use it safely without any concerns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4