• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Battery Shot

Started by guzzi svt, September 04, 2013, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guzzi svt

Went to start the SHO at Home Depot and I noticed it was a little slow at first, drove to Lowe's and came out to a battery that wouldn't start the car. I got a quick jump and headed for the Advanced Auto. I left the car running and had them get me a new battery while I stood at the door. They couldn't run alternator or battery test because "they would get fired". It was 8:30PM so I guess they were scared of getting robbed. I just bought a new battery and took it home and installed it. I'll have the charging system and a fully charged old battery tested tonight.

4 years old with 45k miles. Hum!

I would have placed this in the electricl file but there doesn't seem to be one.
2010 SHO w/PP
H&R
AR Torque Thrust

EcoPowerParts

You're not happy with a 4 year old battery? I'm lucky to make it 2 years here in AZ. Count your blessings!!!!
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

You got good use out of the OEM battery!  Electrical loads being what they are these days, 3-4 year life is not uncommon.  Best to build into budget like any other maintenance item.

Don't think an alternator has gone out on anyone yet.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jomc111

Not that abnormal.  It should last longer but hey can say that about alot of things. If you had to jump the car to start it and it stayed running all the way home would think alternator is fine
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

BlackMammoth.org

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on September 04, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
You're not happy with a 4 year old battery? I'm lucky to make it 2 years here in AZ. Count your blessings!!!!

Yep. My 7 year battery in my M45 lasted 30 months. Luckily this was inside of the pro-rated period on the warranty, so I got a new replacement for free.  ;D The Honda dealer replaced our 2008 CRV battery in 2010, and again in 2011, then I replaced it again this year.

Heat accelerates the death of lead acid batteries, especially flooded plate construction. AGM TPPL batteries (like Optima or Odyssey) do slightly as long as your charging voltage isn't too high.

The cars are one thing... the battery in our airplane is $700 and lasts a similar amount of time  :'(

jcl78

Mine died 2 weeks ago. Anything after 3 - 3.5 years is all I expect. Bought the Autocraft AGM 65.

Needmoreboost

With all the electronics on this car buy the biggest and best.  Imo.
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

bpd1151

Recently replaced the battery in my 2010 as well.

FWIW, Ford installs a "Medium Duty" rated battery in the SHO's (from the factory).

I replaced it with a Motorcraft "Max" battery.

Although my old one never left me stranded, & nor did I need a jump, I know that to go anything beyond 3yrs on a battery nowadays, is pushing it.

Especially given all of the electrical techno gadgets designed in, and used in, these cars.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 6

mjhpadi

Oh man, I'm past 3 years now...guess I should start looking at a new battery....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoBrick Bob

As I said recently in a different thread... I also got the same battery that BPD did... went to the largest cranking amp that was same size... Motorcraft Max battery. think it was 850 cranking amps... Under $140. as I recall.  Best warranty and deal I found for a quality battery and was happy to buy from local Ford dealer.  I had let GPS run battery down several times.  Eye on battery was not green.  Still took a charge but felt it was time at 62K.

A few years ago with my 02 Vette, it literally died in son's drive after a 100 mi trip.  First thought it was something besides battery as it wouldn't even click... Thanks GM!!!!!  Was Battery.. never had one do that in 500 new cars... so don't want it to happen to me miles from nowhere...
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

jcl78

Quote from: mjhpadi on September 04, 2013, 11:21:10 PM
Oh man, I'm past 3 years now...guess I should start looking at a new battery....

Yeah, don't wait like I did. The wife asked me if I could wait until the end of the month, so I asked why? She said: "To get every last drop out of it" I told her, batteries just go, they don't warn you. 5 seconds later I hit the start button: clickclickclickclick.

"SEE!!!!"

Then it was me in my shirt and tie replacing the battery in 94 degree heat at my wife's work. I sweat a whole lot... :)

The Autocraft Platinum AGM 65 is the same battery as Duralast Platinum using the absorbed gas mat technology as in the Optima batteries. All of those batteries are made by Johnson Controls, and come with a 3 year free replacement.

750 CCA, $169

bpd1151

I picked up my Motorcraft MAX BXT-65-850 from my local Dealership's parts counter for around $110.

SHOdded

That's a great deal, I will have to check with my dealership.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoBrick Bob

You are probably correct on price... I was covering my rear at $140. including tax.  Whatever the price the MAX battery is a great deal.  Almost all batteries are made by 3 major companies... Quality is based on price and who makes the best deal... "FORD"!!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

local17bri

I had to replace the battery on my 2011 today. I ordered a 750 CCA  Autocraft Platinum AGM battery from Advance Auto online for $169.99  I entered "DOW42" in the discount code box which gave me a $50.00 discount (30% off purchases over $100.00 up to -$50.00 max). Im not sure when this code will expire but it worked for me today. $131.99 total with tax
2011 Kona Blue SHO w/PP
Livernois Stage 4+
AirAid CAI