• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone paint/plastidip their 20" Flower Wheels?

Started by QwikSHO, August 16, 2013, 05:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB2009

Wow I have a 2015 Taurus SHO and I want to paint my flower petal rims all black.  It will look great with the magnetic gray paint.  I also got my tail lamps tinted, along with all the windows

SHOdded

Welcome to the forum, BB2009!  Post up an intro thread here, and tell us more about you & your ride :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FirstFord

one of the guys on here had some of the flower wheels powder coated or painted a portion of them to match blue color on car. Iinspired me to do the same. ive got a 13 white SHO and i think it would look sick with some white accents on those wheels. ill post pics when i finally do it

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

curry67

I've debated getting my 2010-12 20's painted gloss black but decided it wouldn't look good against my white sho or silver led inlets. I'm getting them refinished the stock color or similar. Still open to ideas though.

Sabtaj1

If you do plasti dip them black, I highly recommend once they are done to go back over them with the plasti dip glossifier (clear)....  Looks a million times better.  I did my flex wheels and recently did the wheels on a co workers fusion.  The glossifier really works great.  Kinda gives it a rubbery feel for awhile but it looks great....  I'll try and include a pic.  Once the dip was all dried I used a razor blade and trimmed around the center wheel emblems and peeled the dip off.
Also, the dip sprays way better when they are warm, or warm outside.  I take the wheels off to do it, clean em good.  You do not need to mask the tires at all.  First start by doing three light to mid coats in all the angles and crevices first.  Then start working the entire wheel including still doing the crevices and around the outer lip where the tire is.  (Make sure that's very clean to the tire). Then when you do the edge you spray like your spraying between the tire and lip where they meet.  Laying about an inch to inch n half on the tire too.  Once all dry just rub your finger on the tire and slowly pull it.  It will generally break the tire/wheel seam and come off in one big ring.  I'm sure y'all know what your doing but in case one of ya don't I hope his helps.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

ZSHO

Quote from: curry67 on June 16, 2015, 07:53:03 PM
I've debated getting my 2010-12 20's painted gloss black but decided it wouldn't look good against my white sho or silver led inlets. I'm getting them refinished the stock color or similar. Still open to ideas though.
I would have them dipped in (chrome)since your SHO is white,woould really make a nice combination with tinted windows and make the car really stand out from the others,stylin and profilin.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on June 16, 2015, 09:54:50 PM
If you do plasti dip them black, I highly recommend once they are done to go back over them with the plasti dip glossifier (clear)....  Looks a million times better.  I did my flex wheels and recently did the wheels on a co workers fusion.  The glossifier really works great.  Kinda gives it a rubbery feel for awhile but it looks great....  I'll try and include a pic.  Once the dip was all dried I used a razor blade and trimmed around the center wheel emblems and peeled the dip off.
Also, the dip sprays way better when they are warm, or warm outside.  I take the wheels off to do it, clean em good.  You do not need to mask the tires at all.  First start by doing three light to mid coats in all the angles and crevices first.  Then start working the entire wheel including still doing the crevices and around the outer lip where the tire is.  (Make sure that's very clean to the tire). Then when you do the edge you spray like your spraying between the tire and lip where they meet.  Laying about an inch to inch n half on the tire too.  Once all dry just rub your finger on the tire and slowly pull it.  It will generally break the tire/wheel seam and come off in one big ring.  I'm sure y'all know what your doing but in case one of ya don't I hope his helps.
That looks really clean, nice job
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

I just wanted to clarify and update my last post and was referring to PVD chrome which is a great and easy way to upgrade your wheels,take a look at this video. Z    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Jjso0mO3s

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bee615

Plastidip works great if done correctly.  I just did my buddy's Camaro and they came out great, nice satin finish (did not need the glossifier) and very smooth.  Key is the first coat needs to be light (50% coverage), 2nd coat still pretty light (80% coverage), then 2 heavy wet coats.  If the last 2 coats aren't heavy enough the Dip will have a lot of texture.

I also use a product called DipCoat which keeps the surface super slick and easy to clean.  It's not cheap but you only use a little bit so the bottle will last a very long time.  https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Coat-Spray.html

Here is the Camaro...

2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 TT AWD
2017 Dodge Hellcat Charger - 825 rwhp
(SOLD) 2013 Lincoln MKS AWD w/Ecoboost - Airaid, Livernois Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow catback, 3 bar MAP, SCT Livewire TS, Unleashed tune, TSW wheels

SHOnUup

Just had my wheels powder coated...turned out great.

Having plasti-dip on my rear chrome and the old taillight chrome, it's not even comparable in the quality. Dip works, but it's not the quality or finish a 40k vehicle deserves IMO.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.