• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear turbo removal

Started by 2010Limited, May 08, 2018, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010Limited

In case you hadn't seen my other thread- my rear turbo is toast. I'm having a hell of a time getting that one out. Any tips from those that have pulled that one out?

Basically where I'm at now is the oil feed, coolant lines and 1 manifold bolt need to come out.
Does the feed line need to be disconnected at the block? I can't seem to get the torx bit in the screw from that angle.

Is it easier to remove the engine lift bracket for more space? 

Thanks in advance for any tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrhighcaliber

Sure. Where are you at in the process.

- remove the cac tubes

-Drain the coolant. Or follow the coolant tubes to the right side of the engine, and pinch them off at the rubber tubes so they don't spill all your coolant when you remove the lines from the rear turbo. Or you can pull these rubber tubes from the t-stat housing and cap the t-stat nipples.

-Remove the rear engine hook/loop (above the rear maifold heat shield)

-Both heat shields need to be removed.

-The oil line needs to be removed at the connector @ the cylinder head. You'll need a 1/2  line disconnect tool. There is also a safety clip that will need to be removed first.

-Remove the bolts(2) that secure the turbo exhaust outlet flange to the block. Then remove the support bracket from the block.

-Remove the oil drain tube from the turbo and out of the engine. I recommend you purchase the mahle gasket kit. Comes with new orings, new gaskets and seals for the reinstall. Plug or tap off the engine block hole after you remove the turbo oil drain tube.

-youll also have to drop the rear half of the subframe to get the turbo out past the ptu/axle area.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mrhighcaliber

Here are some screen shots from Ford's technicial database.

mrhighcaliber

Cont.

mrhighcaliber

Cont.

2010Limited

Thank you so much!

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: 2010Limited on May 08, 2018, 08:48:34 PM
Thank you so much!

Here are the parts that I used for gaskets.(front and rear turbo). Don't remember which is which. But Rock Auto carries these parts. But eBay had them for a few bucks cheaper + free shipping. I will post the reassembly procedure as well. Also get yourself some copper or nickel based antisieze for all of your nuts and bolts that contact the exhaust or anything hot or that are rusty. Including the heat shield bolts.

SHOdded

Never-Seez comes highly recommended.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010Limited

Is there any way I can get access to that database?

hawkeye93

2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

2010Limited

This could have been the culprit

[/quote]

Also:

ZSHO

Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 01:29:30 PM
This could have been the culprit

Also:

[/quote]Bad Banjo bolt! Best of luck.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

2010Limited

The bolt? How about that filter

ZSHO

Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 01:58:39 PM
The bolt? How about that filter

Wow!! I guess that plugged,restrictive Filter element is an understatement.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|