• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Wastegate flutter stock 17 3.5EB F150, low RPM/High boost/first start of the day

Started by jjc155, October 14, 2017, 07:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjc155

Hey guys came here to research an issue I am having on my 2017 F150 XLT Sport 4x4 screw with the 3.5 EB. Truck is bone stock, has 7700 miles.

I am experiencing what I believe to be the low RPM/high boost waste gate flutter that ONLY occurs when truck has sat for at least 12 hours and it is under about 50 deg F. When I let off the gas it stops and does not come back until its sat overnight and it is cool out. I can not get it to do it at any other time, on the freeway or pulling a hill.

I typically experience it while leaving work in the morning pulling out of our drive to the main road.

Been on several forums and have read the 12 page thread here and have yet to come up with a solution or concrete answer on a couple things.

For those that don't know, on low RPM (mine typically happens in 3rd or 4th gear under light gas) there is a metallic high speed "flapping" noise that comes from the driver side engine area. It stops when I let off the gas. First time I heard it I though someone at work was playing a joke on me and put zip ties or something on the drive shaft or other rotating part.

1) What is the fix for this? (does something need to be replaced or shot with WD40, lol)
2) Is there any issues that this can/will cause as I can't get my truck in to the dealer for at least a month due to work.
3) What causes this?
4) Has anyone had this fixed by the dealer yet?

I know that the older generations had a mech waste gate and the newer is electronic? I have also heard that the newer trucks the waste gate is internal on the turbos? Does that require a full turbo swap out to fix this?

I've checked everything under the hood/truck that I am capable of checking and everything seems normal.

Thanks in advance for any info.

J-

2017 F150 XLT Sport SCREW 4x4, Stock 3.5EB.

DSMtuned

Check all your vacuum lines for leaks, connection problems, or cracks.  My 2012 had a crack under a hose clamp at the wastegate and it was doing this:
https://youtu.be/xDEsR0Yk3OQ

It took me a while to figure it out, but the crack in the line was it.
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

jjc155

Quote from: DSMtuned on October 14, 2017, 07:40:39 PM
Check all your vacuum lines for leaks, connection problems, or cracks.  My 2012 had a crack under a hose clamp at the wastegate and it was doing this:
https://youtu.be/xDEsR0Yk3OQ

It took me a while to figure it out, but the crack in the line was it.

Copy, I'll re-check everything. My noise is different. Best way to describe it is like the old card in the bike spokes sound.

I'll have to figure out how to post a vid.

J-

DSMtuned

Others have had similar noises with leaking a BOV diaphram too.  I put my camera in the engine bay focused on the wastegates and found one was definitely opening under boost.  You could do the same to narrow down BOVs vs wastegates.
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

ZSHO

Is the noise coming from the HPFP?  There has been some issues with the fuel feed tube on a different platform but not quite sure if it's related to yours. Z
Link and diagram below.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2549/under-hood-knocktap-noise-from-the-fuel-feed-tube-2015-2016-ford-edge-2016-lincoln-mkx#more-2549

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jjc155

Hopefully this video works. Ignore my fat guy breathing, i was fighting a chest cold lol. The noise will be obvious.
https://youtu.be/sIe7shNXPNY

J-

jjc155

Quote from: ZSHO on October 14, 2017, 08:54:41 PM
Is the noise coming from the HPFP?  There has been some issues with the fuel feed tube on a different platform. Z
Link and diagram below.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2549/under-hood-knocktap-noise-from-the-fuel-feed-tube-2015-2016-ford-edge-2016-lincoln-mkx#more-2549

Nope, I can hear my HPFP but this is not that.

I posted a youtube video of it to help out.

J-

DSMtuned

Hmm that's totally weird.  Do you have a boost gauge or anyway to log the sensors?

Ultimately you're under warranty, so if it does it regularly, the dealer should help you out.

jjc155

Quote from: DSMtuned on October 14, 2017, 09:15:09 PM
Hmm that's totally weird.  Do you have a boost gauge or anyway to log the sensors?

Ultimately you're under warranty, so if it does it regularly, the dealer should help you out.

working on setting up a OBD2 set up with my phone and a WIFI plug in. Also working on getting a dedicated boost gauge.

J-

jjc155

Starting to think that its not the turbo and is the IWE/Solenoid for the driver side. Way  more documented issues with the IWE than with the wastegate.

I would much rather it be the IWE than a turbo.

J-