• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hooking up a subwoofer to Sony system

Started by KonaTheWhale, February 11, 2017, 09:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KonaTheWhale

Have a subwoofer and amp laying around and decided it's time for some more bass in the SHO. I'm using a Kicker zx400.1 amp and need to know what would be the best LOC and how exactly to connect it all to the LOC. I've looked around and the Audiocontrol Lc2i seems like it would work great, believe glock-coma hooked subwoofers up with the Audiocontrol LOC. Hooked systems up before but never with a LOC so just want to make sure I get the best sound and don't mess anything up. Pictures or a diagram of the stock amp/instructions would be great!
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP Kona blue, Livernois 93 octane 3 bar tune, PPE catless downpipes, muffler delete, 160* stat, K&N drop in filter, VTA mod, rear end lowered, 15% tint, EBC brake upgrade

glock-coma

I have lot of pics of the audio wiring on my tablet at home. I can post pics later tonight.
A few years ago I was using an audio control lc8i then switched to a dqxs for the eq capabilities. Now I'm running a jbl ms-8.
If you just want to run a sub the lc2i will work great. 
You'll need a 12v power source for it and ground.
Tap the rear door speakers for the full range signal, then adjust the sub crossover on your amp.
If you use the factory sub wiring you'll be limited the the factory sub frequency.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

KonaTheWhale

That would be awesome! I am a visual learner haha assume you just used a fuse from the fuse panel for 12v power. Is the amp for the rear door speakers in the trunk?
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP Kona blue, Livernois 93 octane 3 bar tune, PPE catless downpipes, muffler delete, 160* stat, K&N drop in filter, VTA mod, rear end lowered, 15% tint, EBC brake upgrade

glock-coma

Since you'll be needing a constant 12v power source for your amp anyway you can connect the lc2i to your amps power source, just be sure to fuse the smaller wire accordingly. No need to run a separate line from the fuse jb.

The factory Sony amp is in the trunk in the drivers side.
Here's the connector pin out.

I pulled this from the fusion forum but it matches the Taurus also.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

djxfactor

I tapped my rear doors for the high output signal as well.  Worked great on my little Kicker Hideaway, and there's plenty of range of frequency from them to tune your sub in to your liking.
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

Scott4957

I used the LC2i as well, I tapped the stock sub high level outputs with no issue. I figured the range of the stock sub outputs on the amp would be fine. I assume its a low pass so unless you higher frequency bass that the amp/cutoff doesn't pass "usually its the lower frequencies the stocker cant hit that you want" then I would think the sub outputs would work fine.

Scott
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

Macgyver

Awesome. Thanks for the info in this thread. I have extra subs and amps laying around.......

polskifacet

If you want to control the sub per music type, you have to have a bass knob or tap the preamp outs coming from the hear unit and use a knob to control input level to your amp.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

djxfactor

Quote from: polskifacet on May 08, 2017, 10:37:55 AM
If you want to control the sub per music type, you have to have a bass knob or tap the preamp outs coming from the hear unit and use a knob to control input level to your amp.

^ What Polski said. ^  I have a bass control knob mounted under my dash for quick access, it makes a massive difference for anyone that listens to a wide range of music.  Just make sure you have the knob turned down almost all the way when you initially tune your system, then turn it up as you test with different genres to find all your sweet spots.  I have mine dialed in just the way I like it, and I have lots of headroom with the adjustment knob.

Another FYI, is if you happen to tap the rear doors like I did, make SURE you get an *adjustable* Line Output Converter.  I initially used a static-set LOC (it was sitting on a shelf in my garage as a spare, so free is the best cost!) and I just didn't have near enough power from my new sub setup (no more Kicker Hideaway, now I'm running a full-fledged sub in the spare tire well!).  I scratched my head as to why the system sounded so weak, then I remembered I had used a non-adjustable LOC, and figured that was my culprit.  I invested a whopping $8 in a PAC Adjustable LOC from Amazon (shipped free via Prime), wired it in place of my non-adjustable unit, tuned in (and turned up) the gains on the PAC, and it changed everything, as I suspected it would.  Now I shake the hairs on my head and my rearview mirrors are useless when it's cranked up!!

For reference, here's the LOC I picked up (you can't really go wrong with PAC audio products):  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAWS3W
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

Lexingtonian

Late to the party addition, but I thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. One doesn't need a LOC if your amp accepts high impedance (high level) inputs. If I was simply going to add an Amp or powered sub to a factory system and do nothing else to it, I'd select an amp that accepts high level inputs, also has a remote bass control (i.e. Bass Knob) then tee right off the sub outputs to the high level inputs of the amp. It's simple and clean and one less component to integrate.

Lex -
2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

Macgyver

I agree with the High level input but some amps do a crappy job and a LOC is the best option. The Audio Control device is the best option thats for sure but as stated above. A variable output LOC will do wonders to a sub amp combo.

Did you need to vent to the cabin or do the sub frequencies make it thru the rear seat fairly clean ? I am coming from a 2000 Buick Regal GS beater that needed no pass thru for the sub sound.