• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stock Continental vs. stock Cadillac CT6

Started by Brucelinc, January 01, 2017, 11:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucelinc

Car & Driver has road tested both the Continental with the 3.0 Twin turbo and the Cadillac CT6 with its 3.0 twin turbo.  In spite of the Continental being heavier, it is more than competitive.  Note the 5-60 times.  The Caddy had a lot of turbo lag unless it was brake boosted.  The Conti cleaned the Caddy's clock in that measurement.  I can't wait to get a tune for my Continental.   Shouldn't be too hard to get into the 12s.

SHOdded

Solid numbers, looks like you made a good buy :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nelsonbullitt

Just curious, why didn't Ford use the 3.5 TT like in the SHO or MKS?
2013 Taurus SHO Performance Package LMS 93 Performance Tune. 12.995 @ 104.90MPH. First forage into turbos. Own a 2011 Mustang GT Roush SC best time with street tires 11.70 @ 121 MPH. Verdict still out as whether I stay with a SHO or go back to Mustangs...

AJP turbo

Quote from: nelsonbullitt on January 01, 2017, 08:01:13 PM
Just curious, why didn't Ford use the 3.5 TT like in the SHO or MKS?

I would say because of cafe regs and it seems the transverse 3.5 eco is going by the wayside

And with 400hp it doesn't seem like the 3.5 is needed

Each year the feds mandate an increase of mpg across the vehicle lineup for all mfg'...engines will continue to shrink in order to meet the standards for average mpg
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Brucelinc

While fuel economy may have been a factor, in reality, they gained nothing.   My 3.5 MKS had a 2.77 gear while the Continental has a 3.39.    By turning slower, the 3.5 MKS got better highway cruising mileage than my new Conti.  Overall mixed driving mileage seems to be about the same, though.

I am not an expert on the 2.7/3.0 engine but I have done a lot of research.  It is made from Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI).  Advantages over the aluminum 3.5 are added strength, greater stiffness, less noise, and the ability to have thinner walls.  The 3.0 simply takes up less space than the 3.5.  It was designed strictly as a twin turbo engine and uses Borg Warner turbos than generate 16-17 PSI of boost in stock form.   

I loved the 3.5 ecoboost in my MKS but the 3.0 is a newer and improved design.  It is a much quieter running engine and has even less turbo lag than the 3.5.   The fact that it simply takes up less underhood space is also a factor since they use the 2.7 version in the Fusion and the 3.0 in the MKZ.  The 3.5 ecoboost would not fit in those vehicles due to the dimensions and the way the turbos were incorporated into the exhaust system.  The 2.7/3.0 family is a more compact.

I hope that over time the tuners can do as much or more with this engine than they have done with the 3.5.  It seems that the potential is certainly there.