• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

TPMS Programming Troubleshooting

Started by MiWiAu, December 30, 2016, 04:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Had the new snowshoes installed today on 18" PI rims. I purchased a set of 4 TPMS sensors off Fleabay, and I'm having trouble activating them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Set-4-Genuine-Ford-Motorcraft-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-TPMS-DE8T-1A180-AA-/162130552485?hash=item25bfbbe6a5:g:wcwAAOSwgY9XgAQY&vxp=mtr

I can get into training mode with no issues, but none of the 4 wheels will activate with the Ford TPMS19 tool. I went back to the stock wheels in the garage about 15 feet away, and they chirped the horn (indicating the wheel was identified) with no problem.

I've read through the service manual and tried the suggestion of programming with doors open, and that did not work. I've driven on them about 15 miles and gotten up to 80MPH. Tried rotating them in the driveway also, per the manual, and no dice.

Outside of an expensive tool, is there any other way to wake these things up? Seller claims they were all tested, and if that's true, I would imagine I would be able to get at least one of these things to work. Is there a long-term sleep mode that requires some sort of special process not covered in the service manual?
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

I also tried the "let air out until it honks" method, but that didn't work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Sometimes not being far enough from another set of wheels will cause this issue, so it MIGHT be the problem here.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

The last time I tried, I went out to drive to wake the sensors and parked at the bottom of my driveway when I got back, so I was a good 30-40 feet away from anything. :/

2013 XSport

ZSHO

Is there a TPS fault displayed on the dash,cluster.? if so any DTC must be cleared before attempting this procedure. Z
Here is a good link for ya.   
http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothf150/wheels/TirePressureMonitoringSystem.pdf

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

Quote from: ZSHO on December 30, 2016, 07:19:08 PM
Is there a TPS fault displayed on the dash,cluster.? if so any DTC must be cleared before attempting this procedure. Z
Here is a good link for ya.   
http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothf150/wheels/TirePressureMonitoringSystem.pdf

Thanks, Z! I was getting a flashing TPMS light and a error on the cluster for a system fault.

I will review that document in greater detail and see if I can resolve my issue.

Are the DTC codes stored the same as any other? I plugged in my scanner and did not see any stored or pending codes, but I've driven it a couple more times since then, so maybe something is stored now.

Thanks again!

2013 XSport

BlueSHO

What's weird is you got Ford TPMS valves and got a fault light and on my 16 I put my winter tires and wheels on with Ford TPMS that I bought here and no fault light for me. Z posted that PDF for a 2011 F150. Maybe the 16's are different now and don't need a relearn when using Ford sensors. I don't know but I do know you will get in figured out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

ZSHO

I suspect there is some interference preventing your TPMS from waking up.
Any aftermarket mods installed nside/outside of your vehicle recently? ? Z
BTW a temporary flashing TPMS light will not set off a DTC......if the TPMS light stays on permantently then its a faulty TPMS sensor and it will store a code. Z

Other non-OEM modifications (roll cages, service barriers, part racks, ladder
racks)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

The TPMS light flashes for a minute or so upon startup, then stays on solid until I shut the car off. This process repeated when I restarted the car. I've only been dealing with this since yesterday, but that's the pattern so far.

The only aftermarket non-OEM mods are an OCC, WeatherTech floormats, Weathertech window vents, and the tune related stuff (plugs, tstat, air filter), otherwise I'm stock. Haven't gotten around to modding electronics yet. :P

2013 XSport

ZSHO

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 31, 2016, 08:16:55 AM
The TPMS light flashes for a minute or so upon startup, then stays on solid until I shut the car off. This process repeated when I restarted the car. I've only been dealing with this since yesterday, but that's the pattern so far.

The only aftermarket non-OEM mods are an OCC, WeatherTech floormats, Weathertech window vents, and the tune related stuff (plugs, tstat, air filter), otherwise I'm stock. Haven't gotten around to modding electronics yet. :P

I truly miss my dog and love pets but do you still have the cage in the rear? Z

MiWiAu

Quote from: ZSHO on December 31, 2016, 08:24:58 AM
Quote from: MiWiAu on December 31, 2016, 08:16:55 AM

I truly miss my dog and love pets but do you still have the cage in the rear? Z

Good question, but no. Removed the crate to get the wheels in the back and over to the installer for tires. :)

What's your address? I'll send you a dog or three. ;)

It did just dawn on me that I still have my iPass (Illinois toll road transponder) in my forward center console. It may be a long shot, but I'll try removing that. Looks like it operates at a 900-915 MHz frequency as opposed to my 315 MHz TPMS sensors, but who knows...

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

I found a post on a Raptor forum from a guy having almost the same issue as me. He ended up jacking up the car, removing valve cores to air down completely (wait 5 mins), refill to correct pressure and program. Supposedly this will reset the sensors themselves.

I have company over this weekend, so I won't have a chance to try this until next year. LOL

I'll report back tomorrow with any findings.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

1A189(TPMS-12)
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor
Tire Pressure Sensors - 315 MHZ

Based off the VIN of a 2013 XSport

MiWiAu

No go on removing the iPass or dropping pressure to zero and refilling.

I even removed my phone to prevent Bluetooth interference and drove out to the cornfields to eliminate any other sources of RF (including power lines).

Going to take it to a different tire shop and see if they can resolve it with one of their fancy programmers.

Bleh. I like messing with my car, but not for this kind of stuff. :/

Thanks for the guidance.

I feel so defeated. LOL

2013 XSport