• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is the D and S position the same when tuned?

Started by purebe, August 23, 2016, 03:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purebe

Is there any difference between being in drive vs S (sport?) when tuned?

I kind of doubt it's possible, but it'd be cool to have one of them for winter conditions and one of them for summer conditions.

Also, I was talking to someone at the dealership about tuning cars and he said he always buys a used ECU with a stock flash so he can change out his ECU before he takes the vehicle in for work.  Would that actually do anything over just flashing back to stock?  He was also talking about motorcycles I think, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to do in a car.
15 sho non-pp, ruby red so it's fast :P

Rockstar04

Quote from: purebe on August 23, 2016, 03:55:20 AMAlso, I was talking to someone at the dealership about tuning cars and he said he always buys a used ECU with a stock flash so he can change out his ECU before he takes the vehicle in for work.  Would that actually do anything over just flashing back to stock?  He was also talking about motorcycles I think, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to do in a car.

I'm not sure how one of our cars would handle just having a PCM switched out, but I have heard that Ford can tell how many times a PCM has had its calibration modified.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

AJP turbo

99.99% sure you cant swap ecu without having access to IDS..the ecu is vin locked and if you install a new ecu you have to do what is called a pmi in ids....programmable module installation...that basically initializes and flashes the pcm with a calibration....with new fords you cant even swap an instrument cluster without ids and doing a pmi and going through the as built data

I have ids and needed to do that to put the boss cluster in my gt mustang
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

sholxgt

D and S continue to work as they do stock.  S will continue to have more pedal multiplication for throttle, lock out 6th gear, and allow access to manual shifting.  No change from stock.

There is NO need for an extra PCM in this application.  In some vehicles (modern dodge, jeep, chrysler, ram) and some older cars, it is/was required to send your PCM off to be unlocked prior to reflashing.  With our cars, the tuner itself is capable of unlocking the PCM and performing the reflash.

Even if Ford has some way to tell how many times the PCM has been flashed, they have no way to know if it was flashed with an aftermarket tune.  For all they know, it was flashed with a stock tune a 100 times trying to get the PCM to accept the tune.  My car has been flashed at least twice by the dealer alone.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Vortech347

In a former A-hole strategy I had, the tuning process was yielding very different results between Drive and Sport.  Including transmission settings and boost profiles.

However they have now been addressed and all is well after having the dealer do a reflash to change my strategy.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

AJP turbo

Quote from: Vortech347 on September 19, 2016, 05:52:23 PM
In a former A-hole strategy I had, the tuning process was yielding very different results between Drive and Sport.  Including transmission settings and boost profiles.

However they have now been addressed and all is well after having the dealer do a reflash to change my strategy.

Anything else change?..how was it reccomemded to you to change the strategy?😎 ;D ;D
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

sholxgt

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 19, 2016, 07:23:57 PM
What is this secret a-hole strategy?

Not sure what it is, but I may have it!  After a lengthy and very un-enjoyable phone call with an SCT employee that was fairly rude, he informed me that my strategy code in his system showed that it is for a v8 Town Car.

That was after he tried MULTIPLE times to tell me that my vehicle is not supported by SCT.

They were going to "call me right back" regarding my vehicle running the defrost on high fan during the flash and then my fuel gauge reading zero fuel after flash.  That was 10 days ago now.

PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Well, if that ain't enough to make you switch ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on September 19, 2016, 07:44:06 PM
There's some real morons working at SCT.

I emailed them to confirm that spark V2 was spark after all adders and compensations.

Their response was download this program so we can access your laptop and fix the issue....really?

And where the hell is the GTX?

AnotherGreenFusion

This has been my problem with SCT support and some other vendors and local shops. If you don't own what they think is a "cool" car they don't want to help you. It does not matter how much money and effort you have in the car. You shoulda bought a GTR or something.....sigh.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

sholxgt

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 19, 2016, 08:00:10 PM
There's some real morons working at SCT.

I emailed them to confirm that spark V2 was spark after all adders and compensations.

Their response was download this program so we can access your laptop and fix the issue....really?

And where the hell is the GTX?

I hesitantly let them do that with me.  They took control of my PC while the programmer was plugged in so they could access all data.  Guessing all they did was steal the custom programs I had loaded.  Very sorry to those that I had programs from.  :(  I didn't think about it till afterward.

After my call with them, they are on my short list of companies with VERY poor customer service.  The guy literally said "your car is not supported by us" after each sentence he spoke.  Half an hour later, he changed his mind, but was still rude.

BOT_ROCKET

'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

AnotherGreenFusion

The tuners themselves are pretty cool. Folks like AJP restore my faith in using the hardware, still SCT does not even QA the data they release it seems.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BOT_ROCKET on September 19, 2016, 10:19:07 PM
This is not encouraging info...
Especially if the person I communicated with isn't a moron...

That being said, besides the ridiculous 2 color screen housed in a plastic box, the X4 is a solid piece of hardware. That combined with the sometimes glitchy Livelink makes a pretty powerful tool. Hopefully the GTX will correct some of the deficiencies.

Anyone get DMRs to work yet? Lol.