• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5L EcoBoost - Ti-VCT?

Started by metroplex, June 14, 2016, 03:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

For the SHO, do we have Ti-VCT or just VCT for the intake cam?
The reason I ask is my 2014 SHO stock calibration has it set for intake only, but the F-150's have Ti-VCT enabled. This seems odd because I thought all of the 3.5's were twin independent VCT?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

SHOdded

Ti-VCT.  VCT was on the 3.5 NA engines 2006/7-10 AFAIK.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

tgambob

I thought we were only variable on the intake cam and the f150 was both intake and exhaust?
2010 non pp. Air raid, sct itsx, unleashed 93 boost, 3 bar, ngk

ZSHO

That means Twin independent Variable Cam Timing. Some of the earlier Ford engines had variable valve timing on just the intake side.   F-150 Article.  Z   http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=5791   The V6 EcoBoost engine uses two turbos, one per bank. These fixed vane turbos operate in parallel, that is, they operate independently of one another. This is unlike Ford's diesel truck engines that use a turbo mounted in series, that is a smaller, variable-vane, high-pressure turbo to feed a larger, fixed-vane, low-pressure turbo.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

I stand corrected.  The FSM refers to only VCT for the 3.5 GTDI engine for the transverse platform.  The F150 version (introduced in 2011) is Ti-VCT.  I don't know why the difference though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gjkrisa

Yea looking at Fords specs page looks like the eco probably vct otherwise they would be proud to put the ti-vct there also

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

metroplex

What's confusing is that Ford compared the SHO to the Ford GT in a chart from 2015, and it listed the SHO as twin independent VCT. I think they did that also on some of the spec sheets. I looked at my engine and there's only 1 spool valve per cam cover, like the 4.6L/5.4L 3V V8 engines.

I'm not sure why they didn't make the SHO engine Ti-VCT.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Quote from: metroplex on June 20, 2016, 05:08:55 AM
I'm not sure why they didn't make the SHO engine Ti-VCT.
Probably a matter of timing, literally, and production commitments.  The F150 3.5 EB was introduced in 2011 MY, a year later than the 2010 MY for the SHO.  Also in production for the Edge, 2011 MY was when the 3.5L got the Ti-VCT setup for the NA engine.  But the Taurus 3.5 NA continued with the VCT system.