• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

WiFi and routers

Started by panther427, November 03, 2015, 02:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slurppie

Dumb question but have you verified what speed tier you actually subscribe to?
2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

SHOdded

And how close are you to your neighbors, panther, distance-wise?  Wonder if they installed something recently ...  Did you try a new Ethernet Cat6 cable between the incoming modem (which one do you have, cable, fios, etc) and the router's WAN port?  Sometimes cables start to go bad without notification.  Shut down any other routers you have while you test.  Otherwise, I agree, the unit itself is likely suspect. 

I don't think you can use the TV's USB ports to establish Wifi connections, only for content from attached devices, but worth a try if the menu system offers that choice.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

panther427

Well I am going to changing out my tv consol and I have new cat6 cables coming from Amazon and mono price to allow my final install to be clean so I can test more cables then.

However my wired speeds have stayed constant except when I was messing with the firmware.

I'm using Comcast cable internet via an arris tg862g/ct modem. Its an 8×4 I believe. I was at the 105 Mbps plan. But I got a letter in the mail we are supposed to be getting 150Mbps any day now. Comcast for us has always over delivered in there speeds. So far I have seen 125Mbps plus or minus when testing speed fired from modem or through the router. I only have 2 cables currently long enough to reach my computer and one is possibly damaged. It was in the home when we moved it. A section is wrapped in electrical tape. However it still gave me the same speed.   I have tried it with this current router go both bridged and non bridged mode. Ill try it with the router in AP mode and swap the antennas to different ports.

The other reason I have not moved the router out of my basement is it help block everyone else WiFi signals. As close as I can get to a controller environment. Well looks like I will buy some more routers to test.   I do not know if I'm chasing the holy grail or what.  On one hand I'm very pleased with a 90Mbps signal through 90 percent of my home. However on the other hand I have experienced two different routers giving me 125Mbps WiFi speed and after having it I'm kinda set on chasing it down again
2013 SHO

slurppie

In all honesty, 90Mbps is more than sufficient for just about everything. Your limited to what the host can provide in the end. If you can get this throughout the home then you've basically overcome the biggest battle. I might have missed it but I never saw any mention of your upload speed.
2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

panther427

Upload is 10Mbps I think. Usually get 12Mbps.
I bought a ac68u off of Amazon for 150 today. If its giving me simular service as the 87 ill return it and save myself 70 dollars. Since most of the high end features of the 87 I will not use.  Just was chasing the speed.
Just like car parts
2013 SHO

panther427

Did not get to play around with it last night. Had went to best buy to pick up my tv consol. Th6u was a fail. Ups had broken the second stand.   

But anyways. Last night I could not get above 70Mbps. Looks like I will just go with a completely different model
2013 SHO

SHOdded

I am using TP-Link's ac1200 router, working ok for me so far, easy to set up too.  Got it off amazon warehouse deals for $60 some time ago.

The antennas are removable on the Asus router, right?  Maybe you should put aftermarket high gain antennas on there instead :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TooFast4SHO

Routers will also throttle to the slowest device connected, if you run dual band put the slow stuff on one band and the fast stuff on the other. I.E. a nintindo DS is wireless g not n I believe. Something like that can cause your speeds to be off. You may be able to run a wired connection through something like...

"The PowerLine HD Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit (DHP-303) allows the user to take advantage of existing home electrical wiring to create or extend a network by turning "every power outlet in the home into a wall-to-wall network for connecting" when connected to a switch or wireless access point. (The kit includes two wall plugs/adapters.)"
2014 SHO non PP, Livernois 3bar v8 tune, PPE Catted Downpipes, 3rd cat delete with straight pipe stock back, H&R Dropped Springs, Low Temp Thermo. Adaptive Cruise, Collision Avoidance, Lane Keeping, Auto Brights..

12.99 @ 106.4 with 3/4 tank of gas and spare etc. in car.

panther427

My basic set up
Wired
Xbox 360
Xbox one
Desktop computer
Maybe a blue ray player

2.4 wireless
Laptop
2 cell phones
Printer

5g wireless
Xbox one
Samsung smart tv
And sometimes my cell phone

2013 SHO

panther427

Well not really sure what i did exactly. However i got it all working right and got my new speeds from comcast.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Very nice!!!  Don't knock it if you got it :thumb:

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: panther427 on November 09, 2015, 04:20:37 PM

Well not really sure what i did exactly. However i got it all working right and got my new speeds from comcast.
Damn!

How much is that bandwidth costing per month?

panther427

Well its part of my cable and phone bill and internet. Its 220 month right now. But I just got that speed today. They just bumped there speed for my tier from 105 to 150Mbps. However Comcast usually over delivers on my speed.
2013 SHO

slurppie

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

panther427

Quote from: slurppie on November 10, 2015, 08:17:38 AM
Not wireless of course...

Commercial account?    Could not imagine that speed. With my current speed a one gigabyte file downloads under 2minute.
2013 SHO