• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Relationship between tunes and strategy codes?

Started by zzfb, July 05, 2015, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzfb

I have no desire to do my own custom tunes, but I would like to understand a few things a bit better, in part to try and figure out what's going on with my Ecoboost...

Here's what I think I know... Please correct or confirm?

First off:

• The factory installs a given PCM version and software load into an EcoBoost vehicle when built.
      • The hardware version is known as the 'box code', the software version is known as the 'strategy'.
      • Dealers through the IDS system can overwrite/update a different or updated strategy on the factory hardware as selected by some Ford database in the sky.

Systems like SCT:

• Read the installed strategy code from the vehicle through the OBD port.
      • SCT tuner connects with SCT database to download specific 'canned' tunes for the installed strategy.
      • Tuner overwrites a modified version of that strategy code into the PCM? This is the part I have questions about...
      • Custom tuners also must download and start with the correct strategy code to modify? Again... questions here..

So this is where I get confused...

Ford seems to have dozens of different strategy codes. Presumably they differ to match different hardware versions of the PCM's and engine components as well as different options, axle ratios, etc.

Questions:

Is everything a custom tuner does (or a canned tune for that matter) just a partial overlay on the dealer or factory installed strategy tune? 

Might Ford have some problematic strategy tunes that make it difficult or impossible to overlay a great tune on top of?

If I had a great strategy load from the factory, call it strategy 'A1' (not the actual strategy code, and the dealer/IDS loaded a revised strategy on my truck without any hardware changes, call it 'A2', must the custom tune base off of A2?  Could the custom tune base off of A1 instead? I know the programmer will only upload canned tunes with a matching strategy, but can a custom tuner circumvent this?

Hope these questions make some sense, would love to understand it a bit better.

65fastback2+2

pcm codes stay the same for all make/models of the same year. All 2010 SHO's, for example, will have 1 pcm code for non-pp cars and 1 pcm code for pp cars.

Strategies are just revisions, and most of the time, you can update vehicles to whatever base strategy you want.

ZSHO

Quote from: 65fastback2+2 on July 05, 2015, 04:47:22 PM
pcm codes stay the same for all make/models of the same year. All 2010 SHO's, for example, will have 1 pcm code for non-pp cars and 1 pcm code for pp cars.

Strategies are just revisions, and most of the time, you can update vehicles to whatever base strategy you want.
I agree,strategy codes identify which vehicle,motor,and software level where your vehicle is at,the issue is sometimes tuners dont stay on top of revision releases,making it important to keep the module programing up to date,especially the PCM because Ford makes these changes for a reason. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

65fastback2+2

Quote from: ZSHO on July 05, 2015, 05:07:29 PM

I agree,strategy codes identify which vehicle,motor,and software level where your vehicle is at,the issue is sometimes tuners dont stay on top of revision releases,making it important to keep the module programing up to date,especially the PCM because Ford makes these changes for a reason. Z

yes and no...ford might come out with a revision that updates the shift strategy...well if you're tuned, that update is probably pointless because your shift strategy has already been changed anyhow.

FoMoCoSHO

I think there actually more due to 50 state and Federal emissions.....

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_FFMXV03.5VEP_APP_UPD_R00.PDF

avidmotion

I had some stutter problems and stalling. There was a TSB for my 2013 pp sho, so Ford then updated my tune and did the FPM recall. With the new tune was a new strategy code. When I got the car back I could not believe how well it ran, had much more midrange power and shifted 3 mph later in every gear(1st 3 anyway). I was still skeptical until Torrie revised my strategy code tune with my previous 93 3 bar. Holy crap big difference! With the new Ford stock tune performance was immediately noticeable. It was way smoother, idled imperceptibly quiet and generally had much better manners. But when Torrie changed the strategy code to 93 3bar it was so much more powerful, smooth and quiet then the last 93 3 bar, only difference was the strategy code.
Does different strategy codes have that much more power hidden, that much variance on the same car??
Very happy
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.