• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Custom Built CAI! (Installed 08/06/13)

Started by bpd1151, June 26, 2013, 03:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

Well, I'm going to chip in here about the CAI...I pretty much agree with Darrell, I really don't think that there is much power gains to be had from the CAI, it's more about looks and maybe getting the temps to be lower, which as EBB said, is a good thing.  I think the meth injection and the downpipes are better if power is the main concern....but I think I would still like then CAI that Mike is having installed, if possible, but I wasn't really expecting any gains.  I have never seen any power gains from any of the CAI's I've owned...just a very, very slight increase in mpg.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

A lot of guys have said they want CAI for the sound and realize there are probably no performance gains in and of itself.  I do agree that they are part of an overall plan of getting air in and out.  And then there is the fact that they look mean.  Mike's white job is gonna look real mean.  I had a Typhoon on my Limited but took it out because I didn't feel the sound went with a luxury sedan.  I had one on the Fusion with a Magnaflow Cat back that I did enjoy.  I will probably be replacing my K&N panel soon with an AirRaid but probably be leaving the exhaust alone. (It's got a nice rumble to it.)  I like the sound of the air coming in better than going out.  Probably goes back to my T-Bird SC days.  Man that thing was fast and you could hardly hear it!

EcoPowerParts

Mike when you do this mod, you should also do the hot pipes. I would take the white pipe in front of the throttle body that you had powdercoated and strip it down to metal and weld on a regular blow off valve there then recoat it. Have a new pipe made from the rear turbo to the front intercooler inlet that doesn't have any Bov holes in it. You can replace the factory BoV with 10ohm resistors so the ECU doesn't freak out. You'll want to replace all the soft rubber parts on the hot side when you do this anyhow so you don't go through my fun of boost leaks all over the place.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

bpd1151

In all fairness (mind you i'm tired after having worked all night) but I did text 4DR last night, just to let him know that I didn't feel totally comfortable up & handing off the pipework I received over to a 3rd party vendor for duplication & reproduction.

I did fire off a text to Kirk, to ask for permission to do so, but have yet to hear back from him.

I honestly don't think Kirk will mind, as I get the impression that he's done with Ford & what not (since he sold his SHO) but since Kirk has done so much for me, I kind of feel like I'd be somehow back stabbing him by handing this intake setup off w/o his prior knowledge and/or permission.

Therefore, I'll keep the community posted on the result of that conversation, if/when it does take place.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

SHOdded

Definitely wanna give folks credit where credit is due.  This community IS a family after all :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

3rd text msg, & 1 VM left..... still no return call (which i'll add is not all that unusual).

If no return call/text somewhat soon.... i'll presume sending this to 4DR will be fine.

I'll continue to keep the community updated.

FaSSt9602

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on June 27, 2013, 11:28:20 AM
Quote from: bpd1151 on June 27, 2013, 01:31:38 AM
Although 4DR is correct, I can assure each of you, to expect to pay in the range of $700 to $1K for this item alone.

This would include all the piping, silicone hoses (where applicable), the filter, extra ducting, and if desired, powder coating.

I've sent some emails out to some prototyping plastic places, if we make the tube out of plastic it will stay cooler and it would be much cheaper.
We'll see what I get back. :)

Mike,  let me know.   I might have a guy to use.   They do small run prototype plastic molding and extruding.  I would guess they could do a model of the real thing....

Sent from my mobile gizmo

2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

bpd1151

Well, I had a chance to meet up personally with Kirk (Doucette) last night, as he was part of the contingent making their way from the East Coast, heading out to Denver, CO. for this year's 22nd Annual, National SHO Convention.

The caravan made a pit stop in Joliet, IL. last night, and it was fun getting to shake hands once again, with a bunch of old friends, and fellow SHO enthusiasts alike.

Anyhow, long story short, I spoke to Kirk about me shipping out this intake setup he made specifically for me, to 4DRHTRD (for duplication, and subsequent reproduction) and Kirk quite bluntly stated he did NOT want me to do that, as he "doesn't like his stuff being copied".

So hate to burst anyone's bubble(s) that may have been looking forward to this mod addition down the road, but doesn't look to promising at this point.

I was able to at least introduce the idea of him making more of these on his own volition, which he seemed receptive to the concept, replying simply "let me think about it".

So there's your update on this. sorry it wasn't more encouraging, but something told me in the back of my mind, that it wouldn't be right for me to just up and hand it off, w/o asking for permission to do so first.

At least I'll continue sleeping well, knowing once again, that I did the right thing.

Oh, BTW, as a side note, I hear the 2014 Nat'l SHO Convention is tentatively slated to be in Texas. So just a heads up, to keep that location in mind for 2014. Usually all the Conventions have occurred during the month(s) of July just FYI.

geswek

I have to go back outside and look at my hood.

I'm so confused--

How is that working for you? Is your intake plumbing different than mine? On my 2013--my intake tube off the Airaid does a hard 180* turn, but yours goes for miles. Or is it the angle of the photos and I'm looking at the wrong pipe? LOL.

geswek

I think I just figured it out.

The short 90* stubby off that filter is what I have as a 180* turn and back to front of engine--correct?

The longer tube goes under the car to the other turbo?

bpd1151

Nope. You still got it wrong.

The piping completely eliminates all of the stock plumbing. Including that 180 degree that feeds the front turbo.

The Airaid, or even the K&N, or any other similar setup, simply bolts onto the stock plumbing.

This set up, uses two completely separate pipes, to feed each turbo individually.

The diameter of this custom setup, is a full 3" the entire run up to the turbo inlet(s).

Much larger than the factory diameter's.

Additionally, the "long" tube you are looking at, does NOT go under the motor as you are believing.

It travels (kind of where the 180 used to be) on TOP of, or rather NEXT TO (the top of the driver's side of the motor) and drops downwards to feed the rear turbo. This comes off of the top flange of the filter.

That small, 90 degree drop comes off of the bottom flange of the filter, and proceeds directly to the front turbo.

Do you get it now?

That black, corrugated tubing that pipes in from the bottom part of the heat shield, is just yet another, alternative location for/of which cold air will feed the plumbing.

I plan on routing that from the bottom of the heat shield, and placing the other end down in the spot on the lower grille, where the ACC Radar Sensor is located for those that have ACC.

Since I don't have ACC, I should be able to manage placing it there.

Hope that explanation helps you out a lil bit more there Lord Tubby Ton.  :bangin:

EcoPowerParts

No worries , I can make a reasonable copy without having his intake in my hand. I'd been thinking about replicating the one tube per turbo idea for awhile, your post had just brought it to the front of my list again. Having something in hand to use as a template would have been nice but not a necessity. I'll make sure to make some improvements as well to the design.

Sent from my phone with lots of misspelled words...

www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

adelsin

So... you doing it then?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

2013 Green Gem SHO PP, all available options.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: adelsin on July 14, 2013, 02:29:14 PM
So... you doing it then?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2
Yup I should put up a group by  interest on that too

Sent from my phone with lots of misspelled words...

www.ecopowerparts.com -