• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

P2196 & P2198

Started by blaine109, March 12, 2015, 04:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaine109

DTC's P2196 & P2198

Anyone come across this combo of DTC codes?

They are generic O2 sensor "Signal Biased/Rich" codes.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO / Discovered knock sensor wire chaffing issue (you're welcome) / EBC GD Brakes w/ Red Stuff / Livernois Tune

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

List your mods and Ill post later for your fix...as long as it's what I think it is....if u are tuned u may not be able to get help from ur tuner on this
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

blaine109

2010 Ford Taurus SHO / Discovered knock sensor wire chaffing issue (you're welcome) / EBC GD Brakes w/ Red Stuff / Livernois Tune

AJP turbo

Wow..never would've guessed stock..sorry can't help u
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Could be faulty fuel injectors, but apparently could be a bad EVAP purge valve too, per this TSB for the Fusion/Escape:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=173431

TSB 11-11-28:  MIL LAMP ON WITH DTCS P144A, P2196, P2198, P1450, P0455, P0456, AND/OR P0457 BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/4/2011

Check spark plugs to see if carboned/wet/fuel smell.  Clean the MAP sensors.  Check for vacuum leaks causing unmetered air.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

13TTPI

Reviving this as I have been getting p2196/2198 repeatedly over the last month or so.  I know I should have attended to the issue but my schedule is prohibitive and my car is an income generator.  Using the search I found several other references by topic, but no clear solutions.  I regularly idle the car for hours at a time and had thought possibly this was a contributing factor but I have no idea.  The car is stock excepting an Airaid, 33k, and I at a minimum use 89 octane mid-grade fuel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blaine109

I had this error in conjunction with the P1450 code (unable to bleed vacuum in gas tank) which was causing delayed starts after filling up with gas.  In a previous experience with a different vehicle, I was throwing essentially the same code but on each side of the engine and it was caused by a vacuum leak. 

I ended up replacing the vacuum purge value that sits right on the back of the intake manifold and this has so far taken care of the P1450, P2196 and P2198 codes.  I no longer have the delayed starts after filling up with gas.

ZSHO

Did you check for any vacuum leaks especially on the intake? Did you try putting back the stock intake?.. also any symptoms associated with the codes? here are some obd codes for ya.          Z   https://www.obd-codes.com/p2198      https://www.obd-codes.com/p2196      BTW here is a "How to"troubleshoot the purge valve solenoid,hope this helps any.  Z   ! No longer available

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

13TTPI

For grins I figured I would go ahead and replace the purge valve.  Having looked everywhere on the back of the intake I can't for the life of me find the part.  I've attached some pics.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZSHO

Do you have the part? Also the purge valve is located on your first pic right behind the map sensor on top of the manifold, it will have two hose type connectors one is green for input and one is the output with a plug in adapter on top , just don't have access to pic's at the moment . LMK. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

13TTPI

I kind of thought that was it, just can't find the right part number as the one I got looks like the ones in the YouTube video you linked previously.  Tried to confirm what I was seeing and get the right PN using the Ford Parts diagrams but they are pretty vague.

ZSHO

Quote from: 13TTPI on October 29, 2016, 02:06:22 PM
I kind of thought that was it, just can't find the right part number as the one I got looks like the ones in the YouTube video you linked previously.  Tried to confirm what I was seeing and get the right PN using the Ford Parts diagrams but they are pretty vague.

Here;s the part number.9F945 http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=0OVuF%2f90jWqx9KS6IUoc0w%3d%3d&id=397172106&m=2&search=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Taurus   

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things before you order the purge valve/vent control solenoid. I would confirm fitment by going to www.fordparts.com and entering your vin number or call customer service prior to ordering based from my experience..2)The correct part number for my 13 PP SHO IS 8G1Z-9F945-A or 9F945. 3)Part number CX2409   ,AU5Z9C915B, Did NOT fit on my vehicle when ordered from Rock auto a while back. Here's a pic of the part from Rock auto and it DOES NOT have the outlet for the other hose connector as pictured below on the right pic. Z                   http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2604044&cc=1503823&jsn=424.  Z :)