• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 SHO. Detonation... maybe

Started by RagingPenguin, September 04, 2014, 12:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RagingPenguin

Hi there folks. Been creeping around here for a few days looking for info on the 3.5TT. Had the car about two weeks now. First day we took it home I noticed it was pinging like crazy when I got on it. Drove it for a few days and it only happened at high RPM. Emptied the tank and ran 91 with 10% ethanol in it and detonation decreased further.
Noting that these things eat plugs I changed them out with SP534. Detonation like sound only occurs at WOT just as car shifts and grabs next year. It's also intermittent now also. Can't replicate it every time but catch it faintly now and again. Also checked spark knock sensor wiring for chaffing. In one piece. Loaded a bit of RTV as preventive measure.

Car has airaid CAI and what I assume to be factory exhaust with different tips. I am unsure if it's stock but haven't noted any brand labels on it. It is very quiet but is very deep sounding.

Car is running great and even better with fresh plugs. Just slightly concerned with that high rpm rattle. Some people have mentioned it could be fuel system.
Thanks for your time
RP

BiGMaC

Maybe you could try Torque Pro to monitor your KR to get an objective reading on detonation and any timing pulled by the ECM...

Could be fuel, but unlikely. Consider trying plugs gapped .032 or .033

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

x2 n BiGMaC's suggestions.  How many miles? 

Time to get the car up on ramps or a lift, I think.  If there IS something wrong with the fuel system, the usual culprit has been leaky injectors.  Doesn't seem like it in this case, could be leaning out at WOT, so avoid WOT till further notice.  More likely it is carbon buildup on the valves.  Check:

The CAC for oil
The intake piping for oil
Turbos for carbon buildup & oil
Breaks/tears in turbo piping

You may have an aftermarket catback installed, something like a Borla or a Corsa, but the mufflers &/or tips would be stamped accordingly, IME.  Aftermarket downpipes can also make the tone deeper.

As far as tuned/stock goes, you have to get the strategy code (using a tuning device) and load a stock file to start with a clean slate.  Unless you can track down the previous owner and find out from them.  Or have the latest PCM calibration installed by dealership (may not be the wisest decision on multiple levels).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

RagingPenguin

Check CAC, found about 1/4 in of fluid.
Checked intake and MAF. Very light layer. Couldn't hardly wet my finger.
Checked pipe on other side of engine, some oil there, dark. Not tons but is there.
Car has 80000km/50000mile
Was purchased from dealer like this so the CAI/exhaust shouldn't be a problem. Any possibility of a pcm reflash helping?

RagingPenguin

Also looking into Bluetooth module also. That's pretty cool. Never seen that before.

SHOnUup

Quote from: RagingPenguin on September 04, 2014, 10:09:20 AM
Also looking into Bluetooth module also. That's pretty cool. Never seen that before.
OBDII MX is the preferred one for best performance. I found decent windshield mount at Staples for $20.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

Quote from: RagingPenguin on September 04, 2014, 10:08:13 AM
Check CAC, found about 1/4 in of fluid.
Checked intake and MAF. Very light layer. Couldn't hardly wet my finger.
Checked pipe on other side of engine, some oil there, dark. Not tons but is there.
Car has 80000km/50000mile
Was purchased from dealer like this so the CAI/exhaust shouldn't be a problem. Any possibility of a pcm reflash helping?
No MAF, only MAP on these cars.  Looks like the SHO is on fairly solid ground.  I would get the latest PCM calibration flashed in, just so you have a known good starting point.  Then monitor performance.  If still having issues, I'd step up to a BG DI Induction Service & subsequent shortened-interval Oil/Filter Change.  A fuel system dryer such as from BG may also help.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

RagingPenguin

MAP, sorry. Know enough to be dangerous lol.
Plugs were fairly covered in soot, but not wet with oil. Will post pic here.
Noise occurs just as car shifts but sounds just like detonation. I'm going with looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.. must be a duck theory but is there any other components that could cause this? If I go to M and shift myself and do it earlier than the car does it, doesn't make any noise. Only other thing I can think of is the traction control.
Noise is maybe a split second and only at 6500+ rpm

RagingPenguin

SHOdded

Except for the tiniest bit of oil near the base, the plugs look fine.  6500 rpm will trigger the automatic kickdown by the PCM.  Sound/noise could be related to that, but what exactly, I am not sure.

RagingPenguin

Now when you say tiniest bit, this meaning with in expected range?
Plug gap was anywhere from .33 to .45 if I remember correctly.

SHOdded

Well within expected range.  Gap wear is also ok, have seen higher.  What gap did you set the new plugs to?

RagingPenguin

Came pre gapped at .30. I did check them all as they went in.

RagingPenguin

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck theory is a no go. Had the car in M, was going 2-3 under 3/4 throttle and the driveline made a crap ton of noise. Just like my high rpm noise. Now it happens at 4000rpm. Thinking either it blew something or it needs to be reflashed. To my understanding the last two owners would not have driven this car very hard. Glad I know what it is now though!
Hoping to have it to ford tomorrow.

SHOdded

A recalibration might be just the ticket, fingers crossed.  Doesn't sound quite like a TSB on this compiled list:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,496

They should pull the codes, check the trans AND PTU/RDU fluid while they have the car in for service.