• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Sealing Airaid Intake

Started by boostedflex, June 25, 2014, 02:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Quote from: boostedflex on June 26, 2014, 09:46:52 AM
ecoboostshi, their is a very good chance you will beat me, I have a 3 year old and an 8 week old sitting at home, so not as much free time as I would like :)  Please post your results if you get to this first, otherwise I will post them up when I get a chance.  I have seen IAT's as high at 140 degrees when ambient is 90, not sure if me having a Flex means those seals are even less efficient since presumably the hood is higher and further away from the Airaid's seal.
Congratulations on the new baby!  That said I will take that bet...I've got a 4 year old and one year old twins so it's a bit crazy in my house as well!  I only have limited time to work on this stuff before my wife sticks her head in the garage and asks for help. :)
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

boostedflex

Thanks ecoboostsho, yep same boat with wife, but I am going to try and play with insulating and sealing this weekend, and if IAT's drop significantly maybe see if Torrie can add back a bit of timing :)
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

SHODYOU

2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

boostedflex

More considerations :)  I also just realized that the IAT's I had measured must be from a sensor after the turbo's (was thinking 140 was a bit high), so I need to redo my baselines before anything else so I can measure gain
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

ShoBoat

Quote from: boostedflex on June 27, 2014, 08:05:19 AM
More considerations :)  I also just realized that the IAT's I had measured must be from a sensor after the turbo's (was thinking 140 was a bit high), so I need to redo my baselines before anything else so I can measure gain

Typically what I have seen there is only a 10 to 20C difference between IAT1 and CAC temp. Sometimes even less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

boostedflex

Ok thanks ShoBoat that is good to know, I confirmed I had logged IAT 2, so it would seem I have a huge amount of room for improvement.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

ecoboostsho

I did the chalk thing to try and see how well the airaid seals against the hood blanket and it isn't too had but there are some small gaps in my setup.

Not sure how visible it is but you can barely see the chalk out line.

So that said I do not know that a lid will really help that much? ...the openings where it doesn't make contact are actually very thin.  That said it isn't air tight so it could definitely contribute to heat soak.  I'm starting to agree that if we can insulate the box better that might help more.  I do have a hole in the side of my box and I put a flexible duct down in to the side of the fenderwell.  It's surprisingly tight down there despite the way it looks...at least to get a 3" pipe in there.  I managed but it is squished pretty well in a few spots.  I am going to spend some time logging and watching the differential temps so I can compare it to my stock intake with K&N drop in and see if I notice a difference.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

boostedflex

Funny I actually made the lid and put it on last night, will post pictures over the weekend.  For my Flex their is over a one inch gap in most places, so that explains a lot.  So guess this is more of a Flex/MKT issue than an SHO issue.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

ecoboostsho

That's a big gap! Can't wait to see those pics.

painterpatt

Yea I closed my hood on Flex with bumper off and headlight out. I can stick my hand in between hood and Airaid. I also cut out back of grille, side of airbox near fender to get cooler air. I can see the aircleaner thru grille now heh heh heh
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

boostedflex

Yeah PainterPatt I was shocked by how bad it was.  Excuse how crude my fabrication skills are, I did this quickly, still need to seal two small sections, get some proper washers, and trim some excess of the bolts, but seat of the pants says my Flex is much faster, which would make sense since my IAT's were probably always off the charts.  Notice the bolt in the top right, it sticks over an inch above the top of the airbox, and does not even touch the insulation on my hood at all.

2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

ShoBoat

Looks good! I would love to see how it fairs when you do your testing. A few logged WOT runs should tell you how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ecoboostsho

Quote from: boostedflex on June 28, 2014, 08:50:35 PM
Yeah PainterPatt I was shocked by how bad it was.  Excuse how crude my fabrication skills are, I did this quickly, still need to seal two small sections, get some proper washers, and trim some excess of the bolts, but seat of the pants says my Flex is much faster, which would make sense since my IAT's were probably always off the charts.  Notice the bolt in the top right, it sticks over an inch above the top of the airbox, and does not even touch the insulation on my hood at all.

I like it!  I see you used threaded rod (good idea!)...I obviously see what you did on the top side...did you just drill a hole in the bottom of the box in multiple locations for the "bottom" side?  Also where did you get your plexiglass/plastic cover?

boostedflex

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments :)  I am going to call Airaid in a few, I need to get more of the weatherstripping they ship with their kits so I can seal from around the top left bolt to the hood pin switch.  For the front I need to fabricate a piece of plastic to block hot air from getting in.  As for the air inlet, I am ultimately going to just have air coming in from the factory Airaid/stock airbox location once the insulation is done, but I may well reconsider that depending on how others experimentation goes.  For the plastic, it is simply a piece of Lexan from Home Depot, cost me $20.  Now that I know it works, I may in the future buy another piece, and take more than ten minutes to cut it so it comes out better.  Once I finish the sealing I will definitely do some data logging and see what difference it has made :)
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold