• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Sealing Airaid Intake

Started by boostedflex, June 25, 2014, 02:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson

Next mod...Airaid CAI, lol.  Curious to see if the MDesigns and the one being worked on by Husker can also make an improvement now. You've got me so close to saying the hell with waiting on just pick up an Airaid though.

Good work! Way to stick with it and get it figured out.

Edit:  Looks like EcoPowerParts.com is developing a CAI as well.  Maybe Mike B can chime in on that.
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 09, 2014, 10:36:26 AM
Thanks Guys! For those of you with the Airaid time to hit the hardware store!
You have inspired me to finish...still have to fit it in the car. I did add a cool air inlet by the fender and have a flexible duct that goes from the airbox to as far down in the fender as possible but it is pretty tight down there. I can cap off this design to do some testing as well... I should be headed to the track in a few weeks depending on wheather and timing but can't wait to test it out!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ShoBoat

Looking good! Just be careful with hood clearance at the front of the box. With the hood closed you only have about 1/2 inch at the front of the box. For my next mod I just might give this a try.   
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

Yep its tight...had to trim back the front 1 inch of the weather stripping but then the hood closes just fine.

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ShoBoat

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 09, 2014, 01:58:00 PM
Yep its tight...had to trim back the front 1 inch of the weather stripping but then the hood closes just fine.

Sweet, do you mind posting a side view of the intake?
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

Here is one installed...I will try and grab one from the side later but honestly since I just put it in the car I'm not terribly motivated to pull it out for a pic just yet.  Are you interested in seeing how it seals or more about the second air inlet?

I can tell you that it is difficult to seal off on the drivers side as that bend is pretty sudden but the cover does have a lot of give to it so it bends more than you think it might.  The bolts that are on there are where they are because that was where I wanted it to bend to get the best seal. The hood also seems to sandwich everything pretty tight now as well, especially upfront, so that should help.

I should also note that I am not using the original weather stripping that came with it but a "bulb" style 0--  that has more sealing surface which also helps.

ShoBoat

It looks great! No worries on the side pic. Where did u get the bulb style stripping?

ecoboostsho

Amazon. But it was super expensive and shipped from Egypt! Although it was as advertised. You can find it all the internet but it was all in bulk quantities and 100' seemed excessive...

ecoboostsho

So at the track yesterday I "unplugged" my 3" hole in my airaid to see if the extra air would help any.  Now my original intent was to actually get a hose from that hole down to a fresh air source but unfortunately I didn't bring it to the track (forgot it). 

All I can say is I can't recommend just using the "extra" hole to pull in air as I ran my slowest time of the day (similar 60's etc...).  Not by much mind you but I definitely didn't pick up anything so I would recommend against this unless you can find a cold air source like the Ram air setup in the other thread.  I really wish I could have tested that on my car...