• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

DJE624 Downpipe Installation

Started by DJE624, February 14, 2014, 12:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

If the noise gets to be too much maybe try a Magnaflow resonator that will be a direct replacement. They have one with an internal X crossover section. The stock resonator piping is smaller externally, and internally also I'm sure. you don't want to put a bottle neck back in there. I think it sounds awesome, I'd just be afraid it might be too loud for me on my SHO. Hard to tell by the video for sure. We need a driving off video :)

that's th exhaust set up I want. Catless down pipes, 3rd car delete and the Magnaflow resonator. I'f I felt like spending the extra cash maybe a Borla catback they're not loud but free flowing. Magnaflow cat back might work too depending on how it sounds. I wonder if anyone sells just the piping without the mufflers. I have toyed around with the idea of running a cheap set of takeoff stock Mustang GT mufflers becasue they are quiet but larger internally. My stock SHO mufflers have 2in exit pipes before the tips !!!!!
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

DJE624

The stock resonator is full size, straight through.  I think it probably flows well.  I may put it back in but after the ride to work tonight the rasp wasn't too bad. That said, knowing it is flow through,  I would probably have left it in. and just pull the cat.

shoman04

2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

SHOdded

There is definite "restriction" in the stock mufflers, as Scrming had shown in cutaways on the other site.  Another reason why aftermarket catbacks (or mufflers) help.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Needmoreboost

Quote from: SHOdded on February 15, 2014, 06:28:47 AM
There is definite "restriction" in the stock mufflers, as Scrming had shown in cutaways on the other site.  Another reason why aftermarket catbacks (or mufflers) help.

Lol.  At just a minor bolt on and tune level the stock mufflers flow more than enough.  The bottle neck is more in that 3rd cat as stated many times before.  Mufflers are for sound on these cars...
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

68_GT

wow I dont know that's not exactly a striaght shot out of the tail pipe for exhaust to flow through the stock mufflers ! that being said It's surprising the cat back exhaust doesn't pick up more power removing the stock piping and muffers.

DJE624

I'll be getting my resonator re-installed Friday.  It's just a bit too loud and raspy. The resonator is full size straight through so I'm not worried about losing any more than one or two horsepower.  I think with the catless down pipes and no third cat, I'll be just fine.

Needmoreboost

Dave, it will be ok.  LOL

You should have enough firepower to make the 12's now.  I bet your neighbors wondered what happened to your car though.  :)
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

DJE624

Thanks Jeff.  I'm shootin' for a 12.8  Haven't heard from the neighbors but since it's kind of a retirement community (over 50)  I don't think they can even hear me.  :clown:

yowen

Very interesting to read all this! I'm just slightly behind DJE on my mods.

I'll be sure to post a video once I have catless DP's and stage 4+ installed, I don't doubt I'll want to take that 3rd cat out, haha. I maybe go with a high flow one though, we'll see. Good to know I can be shooting for 12's!
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

DJE624

If you leave the third cat in, it will help control gasoline odors.  It doesn't bother me.  But, I do recommend leaving in the resonator in with the stock mufflers. If I was going to do it again, I'd save myself the trouble and cost by just doing the down pipes and leaving the third cat and resonator alone.

Needmoreboost

Quote from: DJE624 on February 19, 2014, 09:58:03 AM
If you leave the third cat in, it will help control gasoline odors.  It doesn't bother me.  But, I do recommend leaving in the resonator in with the stock mufflers. If I was going to do it again, I'd save myself the trouble and cost by just doing the down pipes and leaving the third cat and resonator alone.

Yeah, I notice the "smell" more in colder air especially when it's warming up in the garage.  This is like my 5th car I've run catless so I'm used to it.  LOL