• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU oil change write up?

Started by n8rfastback, December 21, 2013, 07:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n8rfastback

Hey guys, I wanna do the oil change for the ptu but not sure where to start.  How much and what weight oil does it take? Where are the fill and drain plugs? 

Thanks guys,
Nate
2010 SHO

bpd1151

PTU takes 1.1 pints of 75w 140

There is no drain plug.

Fluid has to be sucked out manually from the fill plug near top of the housing.

Then replaced with the new fluid.

I believe fellow EBPF member crash712us has pointers on performing this service.

If he doesn't pipe up soon enough, shoot him a PM, linking him to this thread, so that he can perhaps post the info for all to see.

n8rfastback

I also wanna do the rear diff as well. I'm hitting 75K soon and I know these fluids have not been changed
2010 SHO

n8rfastback

Anyone have pics of where the ptu plug is located? 
2010 SHO

EcoBrick Bob

I too need to have this done soon.  Now at 69K. 

I noticed on our trip north that my Engine temps were up several degrees.  Wondering if I need new Antifreeze?  Maybe it's the different round air filter ???
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

BiGMaC

Quote from: n8rfastback on December 21, 2013, 11:24:55 AM
Anyone have pics of where the ptu plug is located? 

bpd has done this... maybe he'll offer his knowledge or a link.. 

From what I understand you can get access to the fill plug from the right whee lwell or beneath.  and you's need an oil extractor pump with a relatively small tube to manuever around the gears in the PTU.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

bpd is correct...according to Ford the correct way to change the PTU fluid is to remove the PTU from the car to drain it. But almost everyone is doing the way discribed in the "How To".  Fluid should be changed I'm guessing at 25-30K intervals.  Seems like everyone is finding the fluid in the PTU is looking bad by that mileage range, and if the car is driven hard, it would seem even more important to change it at that interval.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

crash712us

Looks like everyone just about every detail. Ideally doing on a lift is best, if not on 4 jack stands. There many different tools out there to suck fluid, I used a mighty mini with brake bleeder kit not the best option but it works. And for filling auto parts store sell hand pumps that screw on oil bottle with hose to refill. Very simple job to do when on a hoist. You won't get all the oil out of the PTU. But if you want be daring, I haven't tried yet but I am going to do soon is install a drain plug here is pic showing you where to drill.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

If you want a HOW-TO on putting in a PTU drain plug, there is one on the Edge forum. posted by the_natrix http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10914-ptu-leak-failures/#entry89270.  Haven't seen him post since the writeup unfortunately.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

n8rfastback

Oh boy, I've got a small pump I can use to get new oil in, I'll have to improvise something to get the old oil out. Im betting after 70k it looks really bad
2010 SHO

n8rfastback

Anyone know what the rear diff capacity is?
2010 SHO

crash712us

Differential gets 75w-90 I can't remember how much, but nearly a whole bottle. But you fill until it start to come out the hole.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

glock-coma

Quote from: n8rfastback on December 21, 2013, 05:22:25 PM
Anyone know what the rear diff capacity is?

I believe it 2.4 pints..... But it's almost impossible to remove it all.
I only got 32oz by weight out.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

bpd1151

Quote from: crash712us on December 21, 2013, 09:33:24 PM"you fill until it starts to come out the hole."

He he...... that's what she said :bananahump:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk