August 09, 2020, 05:16:54 AM
collapse
collapse

Author Topic: HOW-TO: Improve a bit on the X35 Phenolic Spacer  (Read 214 times)

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• 2015 Ford Explorer Sport
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Received: 42
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
HOW-TO: Improve a bit on the X35 Phenolic Spacer
« on: July 30, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
..and think I found a small way to improve it...

Got it today and looks like a great product and look forward to getting it installed to see if it can mitigate IM heat soak issues further.  I still need to order the additional gaskets before I can install it.

When I mocked it up and placed the hardware in the holes so I can see if I would need to do any port matching, I found it suffered from the same issue as the BBK throttle body.  Not the fault of the spacer, but more the fault of the IM.  The bolts holes are just too large for the hardware and allow for a lot of play.  This would make any attempt at port matching it futile as it would be difficult to place properly when installing it.  So...just as with the BBK, I used the same logic here. and it worked perfect...

Spacer with gaskets installed:

Thickness of spacer for those curious:

Dowels created for improvement:
5/16" OD,  0.035" wall thickness, 304 stainless tubing, cut to about 0.8" length (can't be any longer than 0.9")

Picked any 2 holes far apart from each other and drilled with 5/16" drill bit:

Drilled matching holes in spacer, same 5/16" drill bit:

Dowels installed into spacer:

Perfect tight fit onto IM:

Will need minimal port matching, mostly just a little of the spacer needs to be matched to the ports, but Steve did a great job of getting it super close.

There ya go.  I can probably drill the bolt hole very slightly using the same 5/16" drill bit for the match holes in the heads and push those dowels through the spacer slightly.  That would get this setup 100% dead-nuts tight and centered from head to spacer to IM...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:44:45 AM by Ecoboost_xsport »
IG: ecoboost_xsport

Airaid CAI | ATP +2 Garret Turbo Upgrade | Big Head Motorsports Turbo-Back Exhaust | MSD Ignition Coils | XDI-60 HPFP | FoMoCo 3bar MAP | DeatschWerks DW300c LPFP | UPR Catch Can |  AD Gen 2 Torque Mounts | Braille i25X Lithium Battery | Brisk Silver Racing RR12YS Plugs (0.26 Gap) | EPP Hot Pipes | Tial Sport QR 50mm VTA BOV | 160 Livernois Thermostat | H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs | Wilwood 15.00" Front Rotors  | Wilwood 14.25" Rear Rotor | Wilwood W4A Front & Rear Calipers | Volk Racing TE37 Ultra 20x10-30mm | Hankook Ventus ST RH06 275/45-20 | Bilstein B6 Front Struts | Bilstein B6 Rear Shocks | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | Steeda Rear Toe Links | Steeda Rear Trailing Arm | Innovate Motorsports MTX-D Ethanol Content Gauge w/GM 13577429 Flex Fuel Sensor | Redline Tuning Hood Struts | FoMoCo PI Rear X-Brace | Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow LED Foglights | Custom RaceSeng Front Tow Hook | WR: 3rd Row Seat Removed | SCT Livewire TS+ | 100 OCT AJP Tuned by Brad

Offline MKS Tom

• Super Moderator
  • PA
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Received: 109
  • Weirdo
Re: HOW-TO: Improve a bit on the X35 Phenolic Spacer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 10:05:08 AM »
Excellent idea.
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• Sacramento, CA
  • Thank You
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »
I've been asked about making these available.

Anybody else interested? I could do these sets for, let's say $20 shipped. I'm not making much. About $8.50 is shipping ,PayPal takes 4%, plus cost of materials (per set). I'm making lil more than $5 a set for my labor.

LOL...damn, I might need to charge more haha.

Airaid CAI | ATP +2 Garret Turbo Upgrade | Big Head Motorsports Turbo-Back Exhaust | MSD Ignition Coils | XDI-60 HPFP | FoMoCo 3bar MAP | DeatschWerks DW300c LPFP | UPR Catch Can |  AD Gen 2 Torque Mounts | Braille i25X Lithium Battery | Brisk Silver Racing RR12YS Plugs (0.26 Gap) | EPP Hot Pipes | Tial Sport QR 50mm VTA BOV | 160 Livernois Thermostat | H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs | Wilwood 15.00" Front Rotors  | Wilwood 14.25" Rear Rotor | Wilwood W4A Front & Rear Calipers | Volk Racing TE37 Ultra 20x10-30mm | Hankook Ventus ST RH06 275/45-20 | Bilstein B6 Front Struts | Bilstein B6 Rear Shocks | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | Steeda Rear Toe Links | Steeda Rear Trailing Arm | Innovate Motorsports MTX-D Ethanol Content Gauge w/GM 13577429 Flex Fuel Sensor | Redline Tuning Hood Struts | FoMoCo PI Rear X-Brace | Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow LED Foglights | Custom RaceSeng Front Tow Hook | WR: 3rd Row Seat Removed | SCT Livewire TS+ | 100 OCT AJP Tuned by Brad

Offline x35design

• Vendor
  • TX USA
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 10
  • Ecoboost SHO Spacer man
    • X35 Design Website
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »
Good idea - I had a similar idea in my mind at the start of the project too, but I wasn't sure if it would work for every car, given the giant holes Ford puts in the IM vs the diameter of the bolts...I figured I better copy their scheme, as there might have been a reason.  After seeing a few spacers get installed, it appears that they are all pretty similar and fit consistently though.

:beer2:

Oh BTW, I've about 14 left to make to finish the wait list, then the spacers will be set up in my store like a normal item, so if you didn't / couldn't get in now, they'll be available in the future.

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• Sacramento, CA
  • Thank You
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
Good idea - I had a similar idea in my mind at the start of the project too, but I wasn't sure if it would work for every car, given the giant holes Ford puts in the IM vs the diameter of the bolts...I figured I better copy their scheme, as there might have been a reason.  After seeing a few spacers get installed, it appears that they are all pretty similar and fit consistently though.

:beer2:

Oh BTW, I've about 14 left to make to finish the wait list, then the spacers will be set up in my store like a normal item, so if you didn't / couldn't get in now, they'll be available in the future.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• Sacramento, CA
  • Thank You
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
Finally have a few sets done if you are interested.

I know there were a few on other boards that showed interest, just hit me up here and I'll DM you paypal info if you are interested.  It'll be $20 shipped.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:20:16 PM by Ecoboost_xsport »

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• Sacramento, CA
  • Thank You
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 09:46:21 PM »
Just got done port matching my spacer to my intake runners.  You can't even feel a change in the transition it's so smooth. This process is not possible without the alignment dowels.

Now, when I get my heads exposed, I'll entertain the idea of matching the bottom part of the spacer to the openings in the head...

"Those balls look smooth as eggs!!!" - Dave Chappelle

* Recent Topics

Re: New SHO owner with problems
by ridered74 | Today at 03:30:05 AM
Is what we are talking about....this plug and sensor?  Pics attac...
Wheel pulls bad one way then snaps back
by 402Sho | Today at 02:18:36 AM
I have a 2010 Sho and right after putting my downpipes on the other da...
by Ecoboost_xsport | August 08, 2020, 09:46:21 PM
Just got done port matching my spacer to my intake runners.  You ...
Re: bpd1151's 2010 SHO Rebuild Thread....
by bpd1151 | August 08, 2020, 09:30:07 PM
08/08/2020......Small block's been completely assembled.Heads and...
Re: And the award for most frequently broken car goes to...
by MKS Tom | August 08, 2020, 01:08:53 PM
I have an appointment for this Wed. so hopefully it is gets sorted.&nb...
Re: Any Explorer Sport intercoolers available?
by Ecoboost_xsport | August 07, 2020, 06:06:39 PM
Something like that would provide cooler air definitely. Id like to m...
Re: DannyMack 13 MKS "Old Man" Build and Maintenance Thread
by sm105k | August 07, 2020, 09:58:40 AM
I can hear your license plate.....lol. ...
Re: PTU and Engine Oil Change...
by Macgyver | August 06, 2020, 11:09:55 PM
Yeah it was just a shocker when I went to dump the oil and it was a wh...
Re: Ride of The Month - AUGUST 2020!!
by sm105k | August 06, 2020, 04:12:25 PM
I am starting my chin spoiler and splitter install this weekend. ...
Re: New Member
by ridered74 | August 05, 2020, 01:12:01 AM
His OAR was perfect, I ran into him at national trails last month, ele...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal