September 25, 2020, 10:29:58 PM
collapse
collapse

Author Topic:  HOW-TO: 2015 Explorer In-Cabin LPFP Assembly Access  (Read 463 times)

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• 2015 Ford Explorer Sport
  • Orangevale, CA
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Received: 57
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HOW-TO: 2015 Explorer In-Cabin LPFP Assembly Access
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »
So I was really dreading installing the fuel hanger that had installed the DW300c into.

Reason being...I was dreading dropping the fuel tank as we don't have top access from within the vehicle.  This would mean taking the driveshaft down, removing the exhaust, removing the filler neck, all kinds of lines, etc.  As some of you know, I hang out on the SHO forums alot and posed the question to see what those guys had to do for any pointers before I tackle the task.  They all proceeded to tell me they have in-car access from a plastic cover under the rear seat...ugh...I got jealous, LOL.

Anyway, I decided to say "&^%$ it!" and see what can be done from the top.  I took the seat out, cut back the carpet and found a small hole with a rubber grommet near where the fuel hanger would be.  I used my boroscope to see what was under it and see what was in the way.  Well, nothing was!  So I made an larger exploratory 2.5" hole that I could easily cap off with a rubber plug I had laying around if I had to abort.

So after closer inspection, I noticed there was parts of the body that are required for the actual structure, but there looked to be a small window I could make to access the fuel hanger without effecting any of the structural integrity.  It would be an odd shape, but it was a flat area that I could easily make a cover plate for when I was done.  Sooooo, I decided to just commit...full send baby!!!

Here's the cutting tools you should try to use.  I would NOT use a cut off wheel as it creates sparks and I am not sure how the fuel vapors are in that vicinity:

Initial rough cut:

Edges sanded and deburred, old hanger cleaned:

Carpet cleaned and trimmed:

WeatherTech mat covering hole, to see how obvious it might when I would get finished:

Well, Now I just would have to make a cover plate, which will have integrated gussets for added rigidity and a rubber gasket to seal it up.  I'll drill and install some rivet nuts and this thing should be super easy to access in the future should I need to!

So latest update:  I installed the new fuel hanger from this access hatch.  OMG, it was awesome how easy it was to get to.  Didn't take a pic of the finished install as it looks exactly like the OEM hanger, LOL. Oh and I used a new hanger o-ring too!

Cardboard template of the cover I will cut on the shears I have at work:

Cut the new plate from 8Ga aluminum plate...pretty thick stuff, won't be putting the indents in as this is way thicker than the sheet metal body.

Comparison of aluminum plate to template:

Rough sanded and filed edges:

Fine sanded and polished edges with finished top/bottom:

Mocked into vehicle:

Gasket cut/sized:  Just need to identify where to place the hardware holes...

Center punch panel bolt holes:

Pilot holes drilled:

Transferred hole locations to gasket:

Holes punched into gasket (yes to the Crocs!):

Rivet nutt holes drilled in body:

Rivet nuts installed:

Had some DynaMat laying around..helps a bit with sound deadening

Panel installed:

Hardware used:

Seat installed:

Easy access when needed!!:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:40:52 PM by Ecoboost_xsport »
IG: ecoboost_xsport

Airaid CAI | ATP +2 Garret Turbo Upgrade | Big Head Motorsports Catless Turbo-Back Exhaust | MSD Ignition Coils | XDI-60 HPFP | FoMoCo 3bar MAP | DeatschWerks DW300c LPFP | UPR Catch Can |  AD Gen 2 Torque Mounts | Braille i25X Lithium Battery | Brisk Silver Racing RR12YS Plugs (0.26 Gap) | EPP Hot Pipes | Tial Sport QR 50mm VTA BOV | 160 Livernois Thermostat | H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs | Wilwood 15.00" Front Rotors  | Wilwood 14.25" Rear Rotor | Wilwood W4A Front & Rear Calipers | Advan GT Premium Wheels 20x11-15mm | Hankook Ventus ST RH06 295/45-20 | Bilstein B6 Front Struts | Bilstein B6 Rear Shocks | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | Steeda Rear Toe Links | Steeda Rear Trailing Arm | SPC Front & Rear Camber Adjustment Bolts | Innovate Motorsports MTX-D Ethanol Content Gauge w/GM 13577429 Flex Fuel Sensor | Redline Tuning Hood Struts | FoMoCo PI Rear X-Brace | Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow LED Foglights | Custom RaceSeng Front Tow Hook | WR: 3rd Row Seat Removed | SCT Livewire TS+ | 100 OCT AJPTurbo Tune

Online bpd1151

• Forum Supporters
  • Elite Member
  • SHOcago S/W 'Burbs
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2485
  • -Received: 2591
  • SHOGAZM
  • Liked:
Bravo! Bravo!

Applause

Most impressive custom, one off craftsmanship to the Nth degree.

Well executed kind sir!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

World's Highest AWHP SHO (Aug. 2014 - June 2016) & World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO (Nov. 2015 to July 2019) Details Here: http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Taurus-Timeslip-27985.html

Offline 802SHO

• RotM Winner
  • Elite Member
  • Essex Junction Vermont
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2353
  • -Received: 1133
  • Boosted
  • Liked:
Well written and executed! 

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, Ported GH upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, GH upgraded IC, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, Derale 10000 series 16 row trans cooler, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Mickey Thompson 20x9 SC-5 Wheels, Continental Extreme Contact DW tires F: 245/40/20 R: 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Highest Trap Speed 123.22 mph
PB 11.368 @ 122.68 NED 10/20/19

Offline Ecoboost_xsport

• 2015 Ford Explorer Sport
  • Orangevale, CA
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Received: 57
  • Mad Scientist
    • The Workshop
  • Liked:
Thank you everyone
IG: ecoboost_xsport

Airaid CAI | ATP +2 Garret Turbo Upgrade | Big Head Motorsports Catless Turbo-Back Exhaust | MSD Ignition Coils | XDI-60 HPFP | FoMoCo 3bar MAP | DeatschWerks DW300c LPFP | UPR Catch Can |  AD Gen 2 Torque Mounts | Braille i25X Lithium Battery | Brisk Silver Racing RR12YS Plugs (0.26 Gap) | EPP Hot Pipes | Tial Sport QR 50mm VTA BOV | 160 Livernois Thermostat | H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs | Wilwood 15.00" Front Rotors  | Wilwood 14.25" Rear Rotor | Wilwood W4A Front & Rear Calipers | Advan GT Premium Wheels 20x11-15mm | Hankook Ventus ST RH06 295/45-20 | Bilstein B6 Front Struts | Bilstein B6 Rear Shocks | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | Steeda Rear Toe Links | Steeda Rear Trailing Arm | SPC Front & Rear Camber Adjustment Bolts | Innovate Motorsports MTX-D Ethanol Content Gauge w/GM 13577429 Flex Fuel Sensor | Redline Tuning Hood Struts | FoMoCo PI Rear X-Brace | Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow LED Foglights | Custom RaceSeng Front Tow Hook | WR: 3rd Row Seat Removed | SCT Livewire TS+ | 100 OCT AJPTurbo Tune

Offline Macgyver

• Super Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Reading, Pa.......
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 99
  • -Received: 355
  • Ecobooster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Incredible write up.

Thanks for this.

* Recent Topics

Re: BamSHO 12.14 MIR Extra Preppy!!
by bpd1151 | Today at 10:27:57 PM
Sucky sucky, licky licky. Brian you filthy, slutty hoe.Sent from my SM...
Re: SHO vs Hellcat Redeye
by bamsho | Today at 09:32:46 PM
What rims and tires are you running on the fronts?  You gapped hi...
Re: Need inexpensive tires for my 2013 SHO
by avidmotion | Today at 08:19:45 PM
https://simpletire.com/brands/general-tires/g-max-rs#v=1&tireSize=...
Re: Random thoughts for the day
by GotGrip? | Today at 04:24:56 PM
So I was watching this ocean show with my daughter on disney+ and it w...
Re: Whiteline 24mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar for 2010-2019 Taurus SHO/MKS/Flex/MKT
by SHO_NVS | Today at 02:32:21 AM
I'm in. PM sent...
Re: Water in passenger floor
by SHO_NVS | Today at 02:28:51 AM
Oh man, glad you found it.  Hopefully that fixes it.  I live...
Re: Carbon hood install
by SHO_NVS | Today at 02:23:04 AM
That looks nice! Good job!...
Re: Wheel pulls bad one way then snaps back
by SHO_NVS | Today at 02:18:05 AM
Glad you found that loose bolt, crazy.  How do you like the down ...
Re: And the award for most frequently broken car goes to...
by Macgyver | September 24, 2020, 10:28:06 PM
Oh Boys. Lets hope she holds together !!!...
Re: Daily driver MKT
by TopherSho | September 24, 2020, 08:07:20 PM
:zumbujump: :zumbujump: :zumbujump: :zumbujump: :) :) :)Curious of op...
Official Forum Sponsor of Ecoboost Performance Forum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal