May 26, 2020, 02:28:22 pm
collapse
collapse

Author Topic: MRT blues  (Read 164 times)

Offline FoMoCoSHO

• Super Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • South West Ohio
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 691
  • -Received: 1149
MRT blues
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:40:38 pm »
So I put the MRTs on the MKS....I love how they look but the drone is unacceptable.

I hate is so much if I don't find a solution I'm gonna spend $1200 on an OEM SHO assembly.

First step is taking it to my exhaust guy and see if he has any ideas but I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations.

I've seen some resonators I might be able to fit, I'm just unsure if they will fix the issue or create a different one.

2018 Cmax Titanium Hybrid (Prius Slayer)
Needs Ecoboost
22PLE Glass Coating

2011 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost Package (Play)
AJPTurbo FFV Calibration
15 PSI, 27 Degrees, Full Rail
Full GEN V Brake Upgrade
EBC Slotted w/RED Pads
MRT Axle Back

Gone but not forgotten...
2013 Tuxedo Black non-PP SHO
2015 Bronze Fire PP SHO

Offline StinkinLinkin13

• San Antonio, Texas
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Received: 152
  • Ecoboosted
Re: MRT blues
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:50 pm »
The rest of the exhaust stock?
Livernois Catless downpipes with Magnaflow mufflers - Livernois E85 tune - Firestorm HPFP - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Offline 76fomoco

• Nampa, ID
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Received: 132
  • Rabbit Hole master
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:00:04 pm »
Man that sucks
2013 PP AJP 93 +meth 160 TS, sp542 plugs, 3 bar, PPE catted DP's, GH IC, XDI-35
Best 5-16-2020  12.40 with 3850 DA
Meth +93 = 413 whp 473 tq E30 = 415 whp & 470
current tunes: AJP 93, 93+meth, E30 :) GH E30

Offline FoMoCoSHO

• Super Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • South West Ohio
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:01:14 pm »
Needs Ecoboost
22PLE Glass Coating

AJPTurbo FFV Calibration
Full GEN V Brake Upgrade
EBC Slotted w/RED Pads
MRT Axle Back

2015 Bronze Fire PP SHO

Offline StealBlueSHO

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2525
  • -Received: 2579
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:53:27 pm »
So I put the MRTs on the MKS....I love how they look but the drone is unacceptable.

I hate is so much if I don't find a solution I'm gonna spend $1200 on an OEM SHO assembly.

First step is taking it to my exhaust guy and see if he has any ideas but I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations.

I've seen some resonators I might be able to fit, I'm just unsure if they will fix the issue or create a different one.

Interesting... you are the first to complain about drone with the MRT AFAIK? Thats an expensive muffler setup to have a drone issue?  Is it possible to add the "U" extensions before the mufflers under the car to cut the drone?
2016 Taurus SHO Performance Pack, Gearhead Custom Tunes, Gearhead Gen3 Turbos, Gearhead Intercooler, Gearhead 170 Tstat, EPP Dual Feed Intake, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Ceramic Coated Catted Downpipes, Corsa Exhaust, XDI-35 Fuel Pump, DW In-Tank Fuel Pump, Fuel-It Bluetooth Ethanol Analyzer, HR Lowering Springs, AD Lower Trans Mounts, 3Bar MAP, SP-542 Plugs, Custom SHO Puddle Lights, Custom Gearhead emblem overlays. Best time currently is 11.922 @ 115mph full weight, stock wheels, stock tires... just like it came off the show room floor.

Offline StinkinLinkin13

• San Antonio, Texas
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Received: 152
  • Ecoboosted
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 09:49:28 pm »
Man... It honestly doesn't really get that bad until you go catless downpipes imo. Trust me. I've been trying different setups... They pretty much all lead to disappointment... 😂 I'm currently trying a FOUR muffler setup... So far it's the best sounding setup yet. Eliminated rasp... Looking for a good sound is stretch so far... Peace and quiet vs performance it seems.... Magnaflows catback seems to get kudos for being a less offensive option.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Magnaflow mufflers - Livernois E85 tune - Firestorm HPFP - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Offline FoMoCoSHO

• Super Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • South West Ohio
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:16:36 pm »

Interesting... you are the first to complain about drone with the MRT AFAIK? Thats an expensive muffler setup to have a drone issue?  Is it possible to add the "U" extensions before the mufflers under the car to cut the drone?
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=9807.0

Well, a couple thoughts...I specifically questioned drone and seller indicated exterior noise which is also very true. That doesn't bother me but the drone from 1900-2400 is garbage. Pretty sure these were designed for GenV SHO which IMHO have much better insulation/fit/finish so maybe that is the issue. Plus MKS, not SHO. It could just be me being "extra sensitive" to certain things now. I'm not bashing the MRT, I just need to figure out a solution so I can drive the car again. 

I will inquire about "U" extensions.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:40:07 pm by FoMoCoSHO »
Needs Ecoboost
22PLE Glass Coating

AJPTurbo FFV Calibration
Full GEN V Brake Upgrade
EBC Slotted w/RED Pads
MRT Axle Back

2015 Bronze Fire PP SHO

Offline FoMoCoSHO

• Super Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • South West Ohio
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 11:37:34 pm »
Man... It honestly doesn't really get that bad until you go catless downpipes imo. Trust me. I've been trying different setups... They pretty much all lead to disappointment... 😂 I'm currently trying a FOUR muffler setup... So far it's the best sounding setup yet. Eliminated rasp... Looking for a good sound is stretch so far... Peace and quiet vs performance it seems.... Magnaflows catback seems to get kudos for being a less offensive option.
Perhaps its not "that bad" to folks that haven't had brain injuries. In my situation it is unacceptable to the point I don't drive the car anymore.

I had suspected everything you alluded to regarding exhaust options was true but the MRT seemed like a reasonably safe option.

This will be my last experiment with non OEM exhausts, lol

Needs Ecoboost
22PLE Glass Coating

AJPTurbo FFV Calibration
Full GEN V Brake Upgrade
EBC Slotted w/RED Pads
MRT Axle Back

2015 Bronze Fire PP SHO

Offline ridered74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Received: 129
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 01:37:40 am »
Perhaps its not "that bad" to folks that haven't had brain injuries. In my situation it is unacceptable to the point I don't drive the car anymore.

I had suspected everything you alluded to regarding exhaust options was true but the MRT seemed like a reasonably safe option.

If you get to the point of wanting to go OEM, I have my entire OEM exhaust from my SHO I would part with for a whole lot less than 1200. It is cut so it would fit in my trunk, but I'm sure it could be welded back together. I'm not too far north of you.
Firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, Corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler and upgraded trans mounts.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.7513 @ 117.04   fastest ET

Offline FoMoCoSHO

• Super Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • South West Ohio
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 01:45:01 am »

If you get to the point of wanting to go OEM, I have my entire OEM exhaust from my SHO I would part with for a whole lot less than 1200. It is cut so it would fit in my trunk, but I'm sure it could be welded back together. I'm not too far north of you.
How many miles on it?

My MKS mufflers were looking pretty bad which helped me justify my terrible idea to myself...
Needs Ecoboost
22PLE Glass Coating

AJPTurbo FFV Calibration
Full GEN V Brake Upgrade
EBC Slotted w/RED Pads
MRT Axle Back

2015 Bronze Fire PP SHO

Offline SM105K

• Forum Supporters
  • Elite Member
  • Arizona
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 832
  • -Received: 1028
  • HATER MAKER
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 06:08:32 am »
Throw a large Magnaflow resonator on it. Your ears and head will thank you.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | GH Intercooler | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Elimintor | MSD Coils | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Brakes | H&R Springs  | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | AJPTurbo Flex Fuel Tune | Megan Racing Catless Downpipe | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Offline StealBlueSHO

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2525
  • -Received: 2579
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 07:41:45 am »
Sorry FoMoCoSHO... they are technically called J-Pipes... here is a picture..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO Performance Pack, Gearhead Custom Tunes, Gearhead Gen3 Turbos, Gearhead Intercooler, Gearhead 170 Tstat, EPP Dual Feed Intake, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Ceramic Coated Catted Downpipes, Corsa Exhaust, XDI-35 Fuel Pump, DW In-Tank Fuel Pump, Fuel-It Bluetooth Ethanol Analyzer, HR Lowering Springs, AD Lower Trans Mounts, 3Bar MAP, SP-542 Plugs, Custom SHO Puddle Lights, Custom Gearhead emblem overlays. Best time currently is 11.922 @ 115mph full weight, stock wheels, stock tires... just like it came off the show room floor.

Offline SHOdded

• Forum Supporters
  • Elite Member
  • Beltsville, MD
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12953
  • -Received: 4203
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 09:32:11 am »
Yup helmholtz resonator.  Tune to the specific frequency to be eliminated.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Offline ridered74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Received: 129
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 10:49:12 am »

How many miles on it?

My MKS mufflers were looking pretty bad which helped me justify my terrible idea to myself...

Car had about 32K on it when I bought it, I did the exahaust within a month of getting car so maybe a thousand or so miles more. I can take some pictures today if you are interested. I have both cars' skid plates piled over the exhaust but would only take a minute or two to pull out and take some pics.
Firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, Corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler and upgraded trans mounts.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.7513 @ 117.04   fastest ET

Offline FearlessAZ

• Just Another Dirty Desert MKS
  • Phoenix
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 577
  • -Received: 140
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 09:25:36 pm »

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=9807.0

Well, a couple thoughts...I specifically questioned drone and seller indicated exterior noise which is also very true. That doesn't bother me but the drone from 1900-2400 is garbage. Pretty sure these were designed for GenV SHO which IMHO have much better insulation/fit/finish so maybe that is the issue. Plus MKS, not SHO. It could just be me being "extra sensitive" to certain things now. I'm not bashing the MRT, I just need to figure out a solution so I can drive the car again. 

I will inquire about "U" extensions.

I remember you and I talking about that MRT a while back and the noise difference of the SHO and MKS. I am curious what the insulation or noise deadening difference is between the models or even the difference in generations. You would think the difference in models would be the same or even the MKS being a little more quiet.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies.

* Featured Topics

* Recent Topics

Re: Thinking of trading the 16S H O
by Gjkrisa | Today at 01:47:46 pm
So test drove some SUVs I am becoming a fan just easier with the famil...
Updated Gallery Capabilities
by StealBlueSho | Today at 11:49:44 am
Added the Ecoboosted Gallery and updated the Gallery software to 6.0d....
Ecoboosted Gallery!!
by StealBlueSho | Today at 11:27:31 am
Add a picture of your ecoboost or your favorite ecoboosted picture! It...
Re: Does anyone here have a Taurus 2.0 EB?
by sm105k | Today at 11:19:29 am
Hptuners most likely supports this. Email and ask them. If not they ca...
Re: Transfer case torque limit
by StealBlueSho | Today at 10:20:54 am
My tuner just noticed that I was hitting my transfer case torque limit...
Re: MrHighCALiber's SHO Forged Engine Build
by 802SHO | Today at 05:15:44 am
That's crazy!  Looks like she won't be down for long in...
by FearlessAZ | Today at 04:55:34 am
I agree. The difference from my 2010 SHO to my 2015 MKS feels almost l...
Re: EBPF Under New Ownership!
by 76fomoco | May 25, 2020, 12:19:53 pm
SBS thanks for picking up the torch and keeping this wealth of informa...
Re: EPP CAI
by 802SHO | May 25, 2020, 05:58:21 am
I ordered mine last week and it's sitting on the bench. I figured...
Re: Let’s talk weight reduction?!
by 802SHO | May 25, 2020, 05:42:56 am
I think it's worth it for a couple reasons...first being youre fa...
Re: bpd1151's 2010 SHO Rebuild Thread....
by 802SHO | May 25, 2020, 05:27:29 am
Man that flywheel ssssure issss perrrtyyy Sent from my LM-G710VM using...
Re: 802SHO 2010 Build
by 802SHO | May 25, 2020, 05:19:39 am
I would be super intrigued on the 13+ manifolds and how they work out....
Re: Ford Recalls
by BlueSHO | May 24, 2020, 11:16:02 pm
FORD EXPLORER RECALL: SUSPENSION PROBLEMS IN 1.2 MILLION SUVS. Z ...
Re: Brake Cooling Kit
by bpd1151 | May 24, 2020, 07:55:43 pm
None that I've found. Although I do employ the Titanium heat shie...
Re: Performance Oil Pan
by bpd1151 | May 24, 2020, 06:08:01 pm
Hey Everybody. Thanks so much for all of the comments and ideas. After...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal