• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Surging/Weird Power Delivery

Started by SkidHash, May 22, 2019, 06:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkidHash

Hello, hope you all are having a great day/night depending on where you live.

I have been going through the ringer with my 2013 SHO non-pp with 118k miles and I can't seem to figure out what is going on with the car. After a cold start I can take the car out and it delivers power great; light throttle is awesome and it seems like the car is actually responding throughout the entire rev range. However, once the car gets warmed up (or sometimes it does this cold, but not nearly as much) and I put like 30% throttle on the car, it jumps to like 2.3k RPMs, seems to lug/lose power until ~3k, and then kicks into gear (for a lack of a better term) and launches. When I'm heavy on the throttle the issue of weird power delivery can occur but not nearly as frequently or pronounced. I don't know if this is the car saying "Oh, build a little boost then let it out then build it again then...." until the second turbo kicks in which sends the car flying or what, but I've had many a time where I've pulled out into a road and pressed the gas and had the car go into limp mode until 3.5k or so, which is a pretty scary situation.

The most annoying part about this whole thing is: the problem is not consistently there at all times. It comes and goes.

I changed the spark plugs about 4k miles ago thinking that it would fix it, but to no avail.

Forscan shows no misfires, no underboost/overboost conditions. Did a WOT run (stopped at 5k RPM) today and saw that my a/f ratio hits 10.248 at which point my LONGFT1 is 6.25%, LONGFT2 is 7.03%, SHRTFT1 is -3.12% and SHRTFT2 is -3.12%. TCBP reads 26.4 PSI with a desired TCBP of 24.6 PSI.

Since I thought that it could be a torque converter issue, I had Forscan read the TC_SLIP actual (206) and the TC_SLIP desired (1020), but I don't know what to make of those numbers.

The hesitation/surging extremely noticeable in gears 1-2 but not really in 3-6, but I don't know if that's because gears 3-6 tend to avoid the 1.5k-2.5k trouble spot or if there is some boost-by-gear magic that goes on behind the scenes that severely limits power until 3.5-4k.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated!
2013 SHO (non-pp), no mods yet

ecoboostsho

I don't have any great insights but is your car stock or tuned?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SkidHash

Quote from: ecoboostsho on May 22, 2019, 07:35:40 PM

Hey ecoboostsho,

Car is 100% stock

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SkidHash on May 22, 2019, 07:41:37 PM

Hey ecoboostsho,

Car is 100% stock
Got it. What gas do you run in it? Have you ever cleaned out your intercooler? Does the car use any oil?

There are some pretty knowledgeable folks on this forum so I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SkidHash

Quote from: ecoboostsho on May 22, 2019, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: SkidHash on May 22, 2019, 07:41:37 PM

Hey ecoboostsho,

Car is 100% stock
Got it. What gas do you run in it? Have you ever cleaned out your intercooler? Does the car use any oil?

There are some pretty knowledgeable folks on this forum so I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

91 is the only gas that I can find here near my house, so I run that religiously. I had the intercooler cleaned out about 2 months ago, got maybe .5 oz or so out of it. I check the oil level in the car every 2 or 3 days and have not noticed any dips at all, so from my knowledge the car uses no oil.

SHOdded

Since we are ruling out oil consumption issues, next on my list would be a) checking the wastegate solenoid hoses atop the manifold, and b) more likely the orange seal on both blowoff valves.

There may be TSBs on transmission issues that apply here as well.  Particularly the control sensors and solenoid body.  Easier to check the engine stuff first tho, so lets start there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SkidHash

Quote from: SHOdded on May 22, 2019, 08:18:11 PM
Since we are ruling out oil consumption issues, next on my list would be a) checking the wastegate solenoid hoses atop the manifold, and b) more likely the orange seal on both blowoff valves.

There may be TSBs on transmission issues that apply here as well.  Particularly the control sensors and solenoid body.  Easier to check the engine stuff first tho, so lets start there.

Checked all the hoses, none have fallen off.

I was only able to get the front BO valve off but I have attached that picture. It looks perfect to me. I was not able to get the second one off, my socket was stripping the bolt and my wrenches were too long, so I don't know what the status of that one is.

ZSHO

It could be a sticky/stuck wastegate hose and would also check the Boost reference solenoid located on TOP of the intake manifold to see if its stuck or open! There is one solenoid for both wastegates..
Check your (COP) Coil on plugs especially if original.
But so many variables to consider! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html

I would check the fuel pump control module to see if it has ever been replaced
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6600.0.html

Apparently, the EVAP purge valve is also a possibility, normally see only issues at startup, but this SSM mentions hesitation also.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6600.msg111157.html#msg111157
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SkidHash

Quote from: ZSHO on May 22, 2019, 09:38:57 PM
It could be a sticky/stuck wastegate hose and would also check the Boost reference solenoid located on TOP of the intake manifold to see if its stuck or open! There is one solenoid for both wastegates..

Tried checking the solenoid last night and it didn't look like there were any problems, but I also don't really know what a problem would look like :D I'll go back out today once I get some smaller wrenches/sockets so I can take off the 2nd BOV and we'll see if I can find anything out of the ordinary. Thanks ZSHO!

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2019, 12:18:48 AM

Apparently, the EVAP purge valve is also a possibility, normally see only issues at startup, but this SSM mentions hesitation also.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6600.msg111157.html#msg111157

I'm going to check the fuel pump module status, it seems like it fixes a lot of people's hesitation problems, thanks for the heads up SHOdded! I'll keep you guys posted on anything I find.

ZSHO

Quote from: SkidHash on May 23, 2019, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on May 22, 2019, 09:38:57 PM

Tried checking the solenoid last night and it didn't look like there were any problems, but I also don't really know what a problem would look like :D I'll go back out today once I get some smaller wrenches/sockets so I can take off the 2nd BOV and we'll see if I can find anything out of the ordinary. Thanks ZSHO!

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2019, 12:18:48 AM

I'm going to check the fuel pump module status, it seems like it fixes a lot of people's hesitation problems, thanks for the heads up SHOdded! I'll keep you guys posted on anything I find.
Check if that solenoid is restricted by using a can of compressed air or simply blow on it! sorry for the late response. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|