• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford Turbo Install break in?

Started by StealBlueSho, March 06, 2019, 06:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Does anyone know if ford OEM turbos have a break in period or procedure? Garrett simply states that there is no break in procedure for a properly balanced turbo... not sure if ford has an article on it? Can't find one if they do?

Jrhaveman

I asked my mechanic the same question when my turbos went out. They told me there was no brake in period as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Not to much Info on "break in period" on the Honeywell GT15 turbochargers with water-cooled bearings,besides there water-cooled and oil-cooled turbos! Dunno! Z

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1091

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

I would follow standard procedure with engines.  Avoid hard acceleration where you max out the turbos, but do drive normally/get into it as you would.  For the engine, Ford says about 1,000 miles.  As long as you are doing "variable condition" driving and not just cruising, you could get away with 200 miles or less.  Think of it as the emissions reset after KAM reset period.  So maybe you could reset the KAM, and until you get the green light (no P1000), avoid hard acceleration.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

SHOdded is probably right to break them in properly. But I installed mine drove the car roughly 35 miles and had it at the track that night. Do I suggest that? No but it's been near 8k miles with no signs of problems.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SM105K

Been around turbo cars my whole life.  Never broke in the turbos. Install, quick start, verify oil pressure and coolant, turn off, restart, idle until reaching operating temp, drive, couple of rolling in boost pulls to verify no boost leaks and proper waste gate management, let sit running of a couple of mins, turn off, check for leaks, restart, let her rip tater chip! 

The shaft and bearings run on a film of oil, there is literally nothing to break in. Unless you are self clearancing a turbine or a compressor wheel against their respected housing...which I highly discourage. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |