• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO turbos question..

Started by StealBlueSho, July 25, 2018, 08:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Talked to a Ford Mechanic.. he claimed the 2010-2012 turbos were produced by BorgWarner and then ford switched to Garrett turbos due to failures I had not heard this....

Anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 25, 2018, 08:30:47 PM
Talked to a Ford Mechanic.. he claimed the 2010-2012 turbos were produced by BorgWarner and then ford switched to Garrett turbos due to failures I had not heard this....

Anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope always garret

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ZSHO

I cannot back that up with factual credible Data but thats kind of a surprise IMO!

I know the F-150 3.5 Ecoboost(longitudinal) uses Borg Warner K03 turbos.
The Flex/SHO/Explorer 3.5 Ecoboost line(transverse) have always used the Garrett GT15 series turbos IIRC which are manufactured by Honeywell.  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

6500rpm

Did they change manufacturers when the turbo design changed? I know when I look stuff up on Oasis on mine, there's a TSB/SSM that talks about a change in turbo designs and the new one doesn't use the support bracket.

SSM 45356 - 3.5L GTDI Engines - Turbocharger And/Or Engine Replacement - Service Information
When replacing a turbocharger on a vehicle equipped with a 3.5L GTDI engine, please be advised that the exhaust housing design has changed. The replacement turbochargers no longer come with a mounting flange for the support bracket. This bracket has been deleted and is no longer needed. If the engine was originally equipped with turbocharger support brackets, they can be discarded when the turbo is replaced. When replacing a 3.5L GTDI engine, be advised that the replacement engine will not be equipped with attachment features to the block. The original turbos can be installed on the engine without the support brackets as they are no longer required.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHOdded

no change in mfrs for the transverse or longitudinal turbos.  That "design" change is an external change, internals remain the same AFAIK.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!