• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stock, upgraded stock, or ATP turbos ??

Started by 68_GT, June 06, 2017, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

So my engine blew and I'm going to replace the longblock with a new factory one. I want to at least freshen up my turbos while I'm at it since I'm at 130k miles. Is that 100% necessary ??? So should I just buy new stock turbos from ford, get the stock ones with upgraded impellers and wastegate or go for the ATP turbos. I  originally thought ATP turbos were upgraded stock turbos also but it appears they are different and larger turbos all together. So I would love for my SHO to make big power however the rest of my drive train has 130,000 miles on it I don't expect all of it to last forever but I don't want to make so much power I have to worry about transmission rebuilds and breaking other things. Does anybody have a comparison of the different turbo upgrades and pros and cons of them that will help me to make a decision? Also what other mods might be required to run different turbos ? I'd have LMS tweak my tune or get a SCT tuner and start data logging but time to mess with that would be an issue.

Honestly I'm thinking about fixing my SHO and giving it to my wife as her daily driver (drives an expedition EL now)and buy myself a fusion to daily drive because I drive a lot as seen by the miles on my SHO.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

68_GT

anyone ???
I need to make a decision so I can get my SHO back on the road !

thanks in advance.....
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

SHOdded

If you want to do all this, honestly, I would go for the ATP Turbo upgrade, since you do have cores you can send in to cover the core charge.  The main weakness in the OEM turbos has been the seals, and I believe they address that in the ATP upgrade, but you should doublecheck with them.  The advantage is simple, same power at less boost, or more power at same boost.  Less stress on your powertrain, if you so choose.

New OEM turbos are about $500 apiece, and will come with 2 yr/unlimited mileage warranty.  You will still have to return your old turbos as core.  This is the better way to go if you do decide to swap out for the Fusion.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

If funds permit, definitely go ATP. Better to put them in now instead of wanting them down the road after replacing with stock or upgraded stock.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

68_GT

Can LMS adjust my can tune for ATP's ?
Would they or upgraded stock turbos give significantly more power as much as the car will allow / support in an otherwise stock form with a tune and the turbos ?

Seems like the ECU will limit power no matter what to keep the car from destroying itself ??

where is the best place to buy the upgraded turbos, or ATP ?
Looks like about 1600 or 2600 not including the cores right ? what is the core charge ? I'll have to send my stockers in later.

derfdog15

Quote from: 68_GT on June 07, 2017, 12:46:17 PM
Would they or upgraded stock turbos give significantly more power as much as the car will allow / support in an otherwise stock form with a tune and the turbos ?

Seems like the ECU will limit power no matter what to keep the car from destroying itself ??

larger turbos are LESS taxing on the car, IMO. if you upgrade the turbos, you can make the same power with less boost, meaning less strain on the car. This means less taxing for the same power levels, and room to increase the power on the current system before you run out of fuel/intercooler.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

68_GT

Quote from: derfdog15 on June 07, 2017, 12:52:47 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on June 07, 2017, 12:46:17 PM

larger turbos are LESS taxing on the car, IMO. if you upgrade the turbos, you can make the same power with less boost, meaning less strain on the car. This means less taxing for the same power levels, and room to increase the power on the current system before you run out of fuel/intercooler.

I don't mind doing a turbo upgrade now but trying to weigh the benefits if I'm not willing to rebuild the rest of the drivetrain and spend a ton on supporting mods to really get the full power benefits of them ??

so on my basically stock set up with a tune any idea of the expected power levels attainable with..

stock turbos
upgraded turbos (only gives you half the turbo right ?? (Shouldn't I replace the entire turbos due to mileage while I'm at it)
ATP turbos ?

irondoor19

Stock Turbos (Core...........?) 1000.00

Turbo Upgrade (Your Turbos ) 1600.00
Eco power Parts (HAS any one done this upgrade...?)

ATP Turbos (Plus Core 1600) 2500.00

I went with ATP, Not knowing about the Eco Power Parts upgrade, After
looking what happened to the Stock turbos and there Destruction

U NEED UPGRADED if you want to run the thing hard
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

68_GT

Quote from: irondoor19 on June 07, 2017, 01:20:34 PM
Stock Turbos (Core...........?) 1000.00

Turbo Upgrade (Your Turbos ) 1600.00
Eco power Parts (HAS any one done this upgrade...?)

ATP Turbos (Plus Core 1600) 2500.00

I went with ATP, Not knowing about the Eco Power Parts upgrade, After
looking what happened to the Stock turbos and there Destruction

U NEED UPGRADED if you want to run the thing hard

so ATP is$2400-2500 minus the core for $1600 ?? didn't know they core those since their turbos are completely different ??

irondoor19

Plus Core SO $4100.00 and when you send in the Old Ones 1600.00 Back....

68_GT

they're telling me its $2,495 with an $800 core, so $3,300 with out the core credit.

68_GT

with turbo upgrades knowing I'm about to install a new 3.5 long block and not really wanting to go all out on the car will turbo upgrades still pick up more power and acceleration than what the stock turbos can do but still be tuned down as to not guarantee breaking everything else in the drivetrain. Thinking faster spool, faster and flatter torque curves and more high rpm boost will make the even faster even with out turning the boost way up.

So basically are they worth it if keeping everything else basically stock except tuning ?
I can only imagine adding downpipes if they will even help with turbos limited by tuning ? Would like to hear more turbo noise out of the exhaust. Do the upgrade turbos have added turbo sound in the exhaust ?

irondoor19

Well that is interesting,
as I looked up my Visa Bill to Confirm,
and they charged me this amount 4130.00 With UPS
1600.00 Core Return So I do not know...

irondoor19

SO as i am still breaking the car in:

Do not think there is any additional Noise, However i have SW Down Pipes and Exhaust..

Seems the the Turbos Build Pressure faster, However I am not Hammering on it Yet...

Down Pipes w cats are Recommended for the Stock turbos, to aid in the Back Pressure
and keep the Seals from blowing out.

68_GT

So with an otherwise ibasically stock SHO except a tune is there any point in upgrading the turbos if I can't really take advantage of them without fuel system upgrades drive train upgrades and no meth ?