• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

I finally did it. (Intercooler install)

Started by Agentlongwood, July 04, 2019, 05:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I finally got the Gearhead intercooler installed on my car (2014 MKS).   Hooo buddy, was it not fun to do in 90+ degree weather, with no shade.  Took a little over 4 hours, and that included lots of water breaks.  A friend who is not at all into cars helped out, just as a second pair of hands to lift the bumper cover, and wiggle the ic/radiator in and out.  I'm not doing a write up because it's been covered already, and honestly this is the most involved bit of work I've done on a car... ever.  So I'm just proud I could get it done, lol. 

Have not been able to get any good data logs yet. My local track was closed due to rain on Wednesday.  Hoping it's open tomorrow.  But I did goof around a bit and just pulled some logs of nonsense on the highway, in some HORRIBLE conditions.  Orlando is super hot and humid.  So I got on the highway and ambient temps were reading as low as 96 and as high as 104.  Ambient temp... So Intake temps are still pretty hot while cruising, but they drop fast at full throttle.  At 80 under full throttle, ambient temp was 98, and iat2 was 127.  I'm no tuner, but a difference of only 30 degrees from ambient to intake seems pretty damn good, especially in unbearably hot weather. 

Anyway, here's some totally unhelpful pics, just for fun.

2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

802SHO

Great job and its always a victory when you can save yourself some money and tackle your own install.  Plus you and the Lincoln are closer now.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Agentlongwood

Quote from: 802SHO on July 06, 2019, 06:58:09 AM
Plus you and the Lincoln are closer now.

Yes, we've moved on to the phase of intimacy where it just costs me money at every turn, lol.  No matter how much love I show, it always needs something else.  Hence I'm in the market for replacement turbos, due to a bad oil seal.  Sigh... it's a love/hate relationship haha.

802SHO

Upgrade you won't regret it.  No better time than in need of teplacement.  Roughly 1900.  Upfront about 2900 you get 1,000 back upon GearHead receiving your cores.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

Agentlongwood

Awesome, I appreciate the info.  Do you know the details on that, or have a link to an info page or something?  I looked on GearHead's page and they have a listing for the intercooler, but nothing for turbos.  I know basically nothing about what they offer.  Is it just a center housing upgrade?  Or re-machined units like ATP?  Or something else entirely?... 

802SHO

Send a quick email to Chris over at sales@ghtuning.com for more precise answers.  I noticed when I bought the turbos and intercooler neither was on the site.  Glad the IC is now.  You'd think if it were you or I we'd have those babies added to our site the second we were done with them.  Anyway, what I did was call them.  But Chris can answer all your questions via email as well.  They come with any and all seals/gaskets studs, etc.  They have remachined center housing I believe as the outside diameter is the same.  Exactly what is different I'm not sure but its all about flow.  They flow 30% more air.  Here is a graph of their turbos that Matt Robinson shared over the winter and compared to stock.  Also the thread when this was originally shared.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.msg143076.html#msg143076

Agentlongwood

Alrighty, I got in touch with Chris at GearHead Tuning.  The guy is super helpful.  Gave me tons of info on the turbos.  They include redesigned compressors and turbines, an aftermarket wastegate set to 4 pounds, and stock housings.  I asked about if the housings were machined and he said they are not.  They apparently toyed with the idea of extrude honing the housings but decided against it.  So, I'm not sure if those charts are for the units with factory housings or for when they experimented with machined ones.  But all in all, it was about $1900 for 2 fully assembled turbos with improved compressors, turbines, and wastegates plus all the assorted gaskets and what not.  I'll be happy when all this is done and working properly.  Right now its feeling like a money pit... bleh.

802SHO

At least it all adds up.  One day you wish for it the next thing you know you're looking at it.