• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2017 Lincoln MKZ - Michelin Primacy mxm4 Sidewall Blowout

Started by 14SHOCAR, June 26, 2017, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Well -- at least I have a lot to write about these days.... Besides the electronic issues, I had a sidewall blowout on my passenger rear Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tire.

I'm searching for recalls because I didn't hit any big bumps, and was on the interstate when it happened. Luckily, I was able to pull over and change the tire on an offramp. Boy do I have a love hate relationship with this Car. Figure I should post this here to see if anyone has heard of these tires failing?

And of course they give me a fully loaded Continental to play with for the week while they troubleshoot my electronic issues. Lol I can't be too mad - except for the desire to have more toys to play with :)
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

glock-coma

Not exactly the same issue but I had some
"Ozone cracking" on my old set of Michelin mxv4.
At least that's what Michelin called it,
this was at 26,000 miles.
They ended up giving me a 50% credit on a set of 4 new tires.
And this cracking was only on the inner sidewall.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Holy crap!  Glad you got out safely ... The list is an unstoppable one for sure!  How old is the tire by the way?  Should be markings to denote mfr date.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

That's truly unfortunate and glad no one was hurt during the incident.
It's one of the very reasons I traded in my previous 13 NON PP SHO with only 400 miles on the OD due to the side walls exhibiting signs of cracking due to the prone OEM Michelin's. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Man, that sucks, the Michelins on my 13 were rock solid and in great shape at 30k+

14SHOCAR

Quote from: SHOdded on June 26, 2017, 02:41:30 PM
Holy crap!  Glad you got out safely ... The list is an unstoppable one for sure!  How old is the tire by the way?  Should be markings to denote mfr date.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

All of my tires were created the 24th week of 2016 according to this chart. I'm super lucky it was the rear tire.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

Not that old then.  Manufacturing defect, possibly.  Have you changed out the tires?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I'm hoping its a Lease to say the least.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

Quote from: ZSHO on September 12, 2017, 04:13:42 PM
I'm hoping its a Lease to say the least.  Z

It is a lease. My tires are not covered by the lease, but the dealership took care of it for me.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

Night Hawk

That was always my only beef with the michelins, had a set lasted me crazy miles on my 2010, but did notice sidewall cracking on all of them.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93