• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water/Methanol - Pre-Turbo

Started by Gray Brick, September 01, 2015, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

Has anyone experimented with a small amount of W/M before the turbos in addition to the pre-throttle body injection?

I am aware of the pitting possibility.

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

BiGMaC

Quote from: Gray Brick on September 01, 2015, 06:06:16 PM
Has anyone experimented with a small amount of W/M before the turbos in addition to the pre-throttle body injection?

I am aware of the pitting possibility.

If it's more cooling... We all realize there's at limit... But just do dual nozzles pre-throttlebody as recommended. I don't follow why you would do this. If you inject into the intake preturbo how would you control the differences in what reached bank 1 and bank 2? As hard as it is to ignite methanol I'd still worry about heat in the turbos and whether it would change IAT2. I also wonder how well the seals and the IC would hold up to the meth.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Gray Brick

A pre-turbo w/m setup on our cars would require one nozzle per turbo. This would keep the rate similar.

If the tubros are maxed out this would make them more efficient and create less heat.

I am running a single large nozzle pre-TB and would still like to see the IAT's stay lower.

I am talking about a very small amount.... a humid day in Florida  :) :)

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

Sabtaj1

I get what you are saying.  I actually contemplated doing it myself.  Like a #5 nozzle before each turbo.  But the problem I have read is that after the turbos we have an intercooler.  I have read it would help the turbos, however it has the possibility to collect in the intercooler and not really make it into the engine.  I don't know how accurate that is but to me it makes sense.  If I didn't have an intercooler I would have done it.  Lemme know if you try n give er a whirl.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

BiGMaC

Interesting idea as explained... Applying the compression of denser air to the turbos.... Wonder if the OEM hotpipes can take the extra pressure. 

I bet that it would have to be pretty cold to condense in the IC since meth flashes at 52 degrees F.  I don't think you'd want to inject less than "100%" meth. But you'd definitely want check valves even at that.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Gray Brick

Added two #3 nozzles pre-compressor

Should be able to get denser charge and a little more boost.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

Sabtaj1

Can't wait to hear the results. 
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

J-Will

If meth follows the same ideas as n2o, then the benefit is colder air at the closest point to engine intake. Placing nozzle further away gives the air more time to hear back up, negating the injection.

From what I understand- Making more boost isn't a problem for the car. Any boost amount over the commanded  hp level will just open the waste gate.

Still interested in your results.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap