• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

EPP CAI

Started by WinPlaceSHO, May 19, 2020, 06:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinPlaceSHO

I just sold my Airaid CAI (for almost what I paid for it) because it didn't seem like it was really doing any better than the stock box with a k&n drop in. (I know whoosh, whoosh noises) 

Now I keep going back and forth about upgrading to the EPP CAI, it looks super awesome and it is supposed to help the turbos breath a little easier, but I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on the stock turbos.  I have searched and cannot find a stock vs. EPP HP gains so it's tough to shell out that kind of coin for something that costs almost as much as the GH IC but won't give me near the HP/$$$.  Is there a better upgrade that can be had for that kind of $ or am I being too dang practical?  I see that some say it's .1-.2 tenths in the 1/4, but from what I've noticed, that is all cars running the GH turbos so that upgrade makes sense to me.

CHANGE MY MIND!!! 
Black 2018 SHO Non-PP | GH e30/AO Tune | PPE Catted Downpipes | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mount | SP-542's | 170 Tstat | 3 bar | H&R Springs | XDI-35 | Badges removed  | Chrome delete | GH IC | EPP CAI | Noisemaker delete | MSD coils

ridered74

Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 19, 2020, 06:37:16 PM
I just sold my Airaid CAI (for almost what I paid for it) because it didn't seem like it was really doing any better than the stock box with a k&n drop in. (I know whoosh, whoosh noises) 

Now I keep going back and forth about upgrading to the EPP CAI, it looks super awesome and it is supposed to help the turbos breath a little easier, but I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on the stock turbos.  I have searched and cannot find a stock vs. EPP HP gains so it's tough to shell out that kind of coin for something that costs almost as much as the GH IC but won't give me near the HP/$$$.  Is there a better upgrade that can be had for that kind of $ or am I being too dang practical?  I see that some say it's .1-.2 tenths in the 1/4, but from what I've noticed, that is all cars running the GH turbos so that upgrade makes sense to me.

CHANGE MY MIND!!!

Not looking to change your mind, but I went to the track a lot last summer. My times were pretty consistent once I got my car finalized. Couple 12.2's, couple 12.3's and if I screwed up a launch maybe a low 12.4. That was with airaid (stock turbos).

I switched back to stock box one week while I took the airaid out to clean it and let it air dry for a couple days. Decided last minute to go to the track and rushed home to swap cars and totally forgot that it had the stock box in and went to track like that. Did not get a single 12.2, best run was low 12.3's and had quite a few 12.4's.

Switched to EPP intake this winter and although I have not been to the track yet, dragy times indicate I'm a little over a tenth faster than I was in same temps/DA last year.

Honestly tho unless you have all the other mods your money is probably better spent on an intercooler.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

WinPlaceSHO

I'm supposed to be getting an email about the IC this week, I was on the list and made the first cut, so YAY!

I appreciate the feedback on the EPP, if it really does add .2, then I would be willing to get it.  Also, just out of curiosity, how did you get that 11 in your sig?  Same mods as you have now with a good DA? 

That's the goal is 11's without the upgraded turbos.
Black 2018 SHO Non-PP | GH e30/AO Tune | PPE Catted Downpipes | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mount | SP-542's | 170 Tstat | 3 bar | H&R Springs | XDI-35 | Badges removed  | Chrome delete | GH IC | EPP CAI | Noisemaker delete | MSD coils

StealBlueSho

Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 20, 2020, 10:02:25 AM
I'm supposed to be getting an email about the IC this week, I was on the list and made the first cut, so YAY!

I appreciate the feedback on the EPP, if it really does add .2, then I would be willing to get it.  Also, just out of curiosity, how did you get that 11 in your sig?  Same mods as you have now with a good DA? 

I switched from the AIRAID to the EPP Dual Feed CAI over the winter.. everyone I have talked too is seeing a .1 - .2 faster ET with this setup. I spent quite a bit of time talking with my tuner Matt at Gearhead about making the change.. his take was that you will see a small improvement with stock turbos but will see a much bigger improvement with bigger turbos..

Historically any time you can give a turbo a dedicated intake setup it helps so there is that..

I don't use a draggy as there is no where safe to do a full 1/4 mile pull but I ran a 11.922 at full weight with the airaid..  this year obviously shooting for lower.. next time at the track will be a bit different cause I swapped to light weight wheels and wider/better tires which shaved ~8lbs of rotating weight off each corner plus I added the EPP CAI.. hoping to see 11.7's at full weight this year.

ridered74

Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 20, 2020, 10:02:25 AM

Same mods and probably 200 plus pounds of weight reduction. DA that night was 562.

I want to say my best dragy pass on the street last fall was 12.25 and so far this spring my best is 12.07 full weight. I did have a tweak or two to the tune as well but with my mods the intake seems to have helped as well.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

WinPlaceSHO

How much of a PITA is it to take out to fill the transmission fluid?  Tough to tell from the pics if the pipes are in the way and need to be taken out at well.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 20, 2020, 11:07:22 AM
How much of a PITA is it to take out to fill the transmission fluid?  Tough to tell from the pics if the pipes are in the way and need to be taken out at well.
Stupid easy.... don't need to take anything out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinPlaceSHO

Alright, now they have a "rear turbo hose" on the list, is that needed or not?  Worth it for the extra $40?  (I'm assuming reusing the old part is easier but I'm not sure if it is one of those things that can cause leaks or commonly causes leaks)

Also, if I get the catch can bung but don't use it right away, what is the best way to plug it so that it doesn't leak?

Thanks!

EcoPowerParts

I added this to the description when I added the option:

The custom rear turbo hose option either allows you to use you factory rear turbo rubber hose which makes the install much easier if you don't include the custom hose or if you choose the rear custom hose then you'll have to remove the factory rubber hose and will replace with our custom silicone hose.

Right now you can only get it with the custom rear turbo hose so order it that way unless you want to wait for the new pipes that will be here next week.
BTW, the intake is on the turbo inlet side, there's no way to get leaks as there's no boost there.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ridered74

My clamp bolt for the rear S hose was at the worst possible angle, could not get a socket or a screwdriver fully on it to turn it, so while I was wrestling with that part of the installation I was absolutely wishing that the stock S hose could have been reused. If I had to do it over again tho I would probably want to replace the entire stock setup, but man was it a PITA.

Transmission fluid is much more accessible with this intake than an airaid. I had to completely remove my airaid to even check the fluid level. This intake can be left in even if you have to put a funnel down to add fluid. I just added a little bit a few weeks ago.

It's been too long since I've used the stock box to remember for sure if that had to be removed to access the transmission fluid.

WinPlaceSHO

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on May 20, 2020, 06:44:32 PM

The custom rear turbo hose option either allows you to use you factory rear turbo rubber hose which makes the install much easier if you don't include the custom hose or if you choose the rear custom hose then you'll have to remove the factory rubber hose and will replace with our custom silicone hose.

Right now you can only get it with the custom rear turbo hose so order it that way unless you want to wait for the new pipes that will be here next week.
BTW, the intake is on the turbo inlet side, there's no way to get leaks as there's no boost there.

So if I order the custom rear hose, do I have to use it, or can it still work with the factory setup?

Thanks!

WinPlaceSHO

Quote from: ridered74 on May 20, 2020, 09:41:25 PM
My clamp bolt for the rear S hose was at the worst possible angle, could not get a socket or a screwdriver fully on it to turn it, so while I was wrestling with that part of the installation I was absolutely wishing that the stock S hose could have been reused. If I had to do it over again tho I would probably want to replace the entire stock setup, but man was it a PITA.

Transmission fluid is much more accessible with this intake than an airaid. I had to completely remove my airaid to even check the fluid level. This intake can be left in even if you have to put a funnel down to add fluid. I just added a little bit a few weeks ago.

It's been too long since I've used the stock box to remember for sure if that had to be removed to access the transmission fluid.

Stock box has to come off just like the Airaid, that's why I was wondering, glad to hear it's still accessible.  Just that alone makes this very attractive to me because I hated having to take it off just to check the trans fluid.

Did you get the bung for Catch Can?  I don't have one but might get it down the road.

Thanks!

ridered74

Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 21, 2020, 10:03:44 AM

Stock box has to come off just like the Airaid, that's why I was wondering, glad to hear it's still accessible.  Just that alone makes this very attractive to me because I hated having to take it off just to check the trans fluid.

Did you get the bung for Catch Can?  I don't have one but might get it down the road.

Thanks!

I did not get the catch can bung.

It is definitely nice to be able to access the trans dipstick and be able to fill without pulling out the air box. That was kind of a stupid design. Once when I was lazy and went to a quick oil change place they told me the transmission was a sealed system after I told them I had already changed the fluid. Said it was impossible for me to have changed the fluid. LMAO!

WinPlaceSHO

Quote from: ridered74 on May 21, 2020, 11:39:32 AM
Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 21, 2020, 10:03:44 AM

Thanks!

I did not get the catch can bung.

It is definitely nice to be able to access the trans dipstick and be able to fill without pulling out the air box. That was kind of a stupid design. Once when I was lazy and went to a quick oil change place they told me the transmission was a sealed system after I told them I had already changed the fluid. Said it was impossible for me to have changed the fluid. LMAO!

That sounds almost as bad as Ford telling me that the RDU and PTU were lifetime and didn't need a change.   That's a nope.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: WinPlaceSHO on May 21, 2020, 09:57:51 AM
Quote from: EcoPowerParts on May 20, 2020, 06:44:32 PM

So if I order the custom rear hose, do I have to use it, or can it still work with the factory setup?

Thanks!
Right now the only pipes I have work with the custom hose, next week they work with stock hose and have to be cut to work with the custom hose option.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts