• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

oily gunk in intake pipe

Started by Agentlongwood, July 04, 2019, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

While pulling everything apart to install my intercooler, I found some oily gunk in one of the intake pipes.  It seemed out of place so I took some pics.  This is the piped from the rear turbo heading to the intercooler (I think).  I'm just not sure how it would even get there.  I checked out the throttle body, and it was clean as a whistle.  So it seemed like this stuff wasn't getting past the old intercooler.  Is this normal?  If so, where does it come from to get to that specific spot in the intake piping?  If it's not normal, is my car going to explode?  lol.

2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

Bit of oil inside the charge pipe is quite normal and no cause for alarm AFAIK! NO No visible oil in/out of BOV Correct!
Should see a notable improvement with the new Upgraded GH-IC! Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

misting is normal, pooling is not.  pooling means possibly a compromised turbo seal.  check the intercooler for crud buildup with the engine dipstick.  clean it out and see how much accumulates over time.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

So I think I may actually have a turbo seal issue. I'm at the track and they let me know they saw a sizeable puff of smoke when I let off at the top end of the track. Couldn't figure out what would cause that, but when I looked under the hood I noticed a couple sprinkles of oil around the front BoV. I looked at where the rear BoV is pointing and saw more than a little sprinkle of oil. I'm running factory BoVs set up to vent to atmosphere. I'm guessing the puff of smoke was some oil coming out of the rear BoV when I let off and getting burned off by the super hot turbo. Does a bad seal mean I need to replace the turbos entirely? Or can a shop/dealership just replace the seal. I'm out of warranty, so that sucks...

SHOdded

Unfortunately new turbo if seal fails.  I do know that atp and other companies replace seals during rebuilds.  Call up and talk to Mike / ecopowerparts.com to see if he has options for you.  Google, youtube, may turn up diy solutions as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

I really appreciate the input. Just super bummed. Was looking forward to getting my tune dialed in with the new intercooler. Wasn't really expecting to have to pay for new turbos :(  ugh... I know the ATPs are like $2500. I checked on Gear head tuning and ecopowerparts websites but couldn't find turbos listed on either. They're less than the ATPs, but any idea the ballpark price they're at? And is it dangerous to drive as is? It's my only vehicle so not really any choice, lol

SHOdded

Oem turbos are 500+core each.  No idea on gearhead, you would have to contact matt directly.  IIRC, SBS has them on there?  My guess would be 800$ each for aftermarket options.

Yeah sucks big time.  Honestly, if i could diy, i would replace the seals and do a CHRA upgrade.  But probably not an option for most folks, unless you can get over to a member who can such work.

Not dangerous to drive as is, stay out of heavy throttle as much as possible tho.  Now a leaky injector, that would require immediate attention.

Agentlongwood

Thanks again man. I'll contact them about the upgraded CHRAs. There's a pretty dang good shop near me, called LaMotta Performance. I'll see what they charge to rebuild with the new internals. Replacing the intercooler was about the limit of my skill/patience, so I don't think I'll be taking on that job in my driveway.

SHOdded