• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Sony AMP front door speaker output

Started by Pinball-Mark, April 22, 2020, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball-Mark

Seems hard to find wiring diagrams for the audio systems anymore. 14 Taurus, Sony sound system with NAV. Does the sony amp output low-pass to the front door woofers and high-pass to the tweeters? Looking for a component setup for the front doors. For the time being, idea would be to hook the woofer and tweeter up to factory wires and not use the crossover. Once i get an aftermarket amp in there, id install the cross over. Hard to find 5x7 component setups, any one got any recommendations? Have found the Kicker components and JL. Kicker any good? JL's are pretty pricey. Thanks

StinkinLinkin13

I don't have the sony system but my front and rears are the component style setup. The oem 6x8 door woofer has a built-in in crossover on it. (Basically just filters out low frequency to the tweeter. Woofer runs at whatever output the factory amp puts out. Probably full range minus sub levels.) You'll see it when you pull the speaker off. Basically resistors on a small circuit board.

I almost went with the kicker component setup but opted to just re-use the factory "crossover" and run their 2 way 6x8s. A little more work but cheaper overall. Sounds great.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Pinball-Mark

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on April 23, 2020, 11:03:51 AM
I don't have the sony system but my front and rears are the component style setup. The oem 6x8 door woofer has a built-in in crossover on it. (Basically just filters out low frequency to the tweeter. Woofer runs at whatever output the factory amp puts out. Probably full range minus sub levels.) You'll see it when you pull the speaker off. Basically resistors on a small circuit board.

I almost went with the kicker component setup but opted to just re-use the factory "crossover" and run their 2 way 6x8s. A little more work but cheaper overall. Sounds great.

So your system has one wire to the front doors from factory amp and has a cross over on the door. And your rear doors have the same setup? with a separate tweeter? My sony does not have a separate tweeter in the rear doors. I'm under the impression the sony system has its own dedicated low-pass to the front door woofer and a dedicated high-pass to the tweeter from the factory amp. The PAC audio system shows this in their wiring diagram as well. It doesn't specify if its a sony system or not.. thats where im getting confused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Purple / Black Right Rear Speaker (-)
9 Purple Right Rear Speaker (+)

2 Gray / Blue Right Front Tweeter (-)
10 Gray / Red Right Front Tweeter (+)

3 Gray / Black Right Front Speaker (-)
11 Gray Right Front Speaker (+)

4 Black Rear Center Speaker(s) (-) 
12 Black / White Rear Center Speaker(s) (+)

5 Green / Black Left Rear Speaker (-) 
13 Green Left Rear Speaker (+)

6 White / Blue Left Front Tweeter (-) 
14 White / Red Left Front Tweeter (+)

7 White / Black Left Front Speaker (-)
15 White Left Front Speaker (+)

8 Brown / Black Front Center Speaker (-)
16 Brown Front Center Speaker (+)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macgyver

Crossing over the possibly already crossed over oem tweeter is way better than blowing up your new tweeter with an uncrossed over signal. I would use the crossover if I installed it just to be safe til I found out otherwise.

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: Pinball-Mark on April 23, 2020, 01:34:09 PM

So your system has one wire to the front doors from factory amp and has a cross over on the door. And your rear doors have the same setup? with a separate tweeter? My sony does not have a separate tweeter in the rear doors. I'm under the impression the sony system has its own dedicated low-pass to the front door woofer and a dedicated high-pass to the tweeter from the factory amp. The PAC audio system shows this in their wiring diagram as well. It doesn't specify if its a sony system or not.. thats where im getting confused.

Yes sir. There are a few options with the MKS systems. THX, Non, etc...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Pinball-Mark

Quote from: Macgyver on April 23, 2020, 09:44:00 PM
Crossing over the possibly already crossed over oem tweeter is way better than blowing up your new tweeter with an uncrossed over signal. I would use the crossover if I installed it just to be safe til I found out otherwise.

This is a good point, I could install the cross over inline on the wires to the tweeter I guess and leave the line to the woofer direct to the amp. Might have to just rip the door off and figure it out. Might just order a set of components and roll with the punches. I have found out they make brackets for 6x8 to 6 1/2 speakers so looks like I have a few more options to choose from.